Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
National's $31 billion transport spend
Any potential spending on transport infrastructure is a good thing, although it would be remiss of people familiar with National's popular catch-cry to not ask "where is the money coming from?"

They might have some problems selling the plan to the rest of NZ (i.e. the real part) because it comes across as a little Auckland-focused at the moment.
This from the party that are continually questioning where the repayment of COVID related debt is going to come from. The likelihood of the Nat's being in a situation post-election to act on their election promises probably makes it a moot point anyway.
And who pays for it?
More asset sales, toll roads or tax hikes?
Auckland has got away with no toll roads, despite all the spending on tunnels, etc, meanwhile Tauranga has 2 of them.
(17-07-2020, 04:09 PM)nzoomed Wrote: And who pays for it?
Auckland has got away with no toll roads, despite all the spending on tunnels, etc, meanwhile Tauranga has 2 of them.

I thought Auckland had tolls for the new Tunnels or did they do away with that
Crab2
Auckland had a toll on the Northern motorway last time I went through, although it was probably 5+ years ago.
Of course Auckland has a toll road. I’d rather pay a toll and drive on safe 4 lane motorways than the crappy two lane death traps around the country
(17-07-2020, 09:14 PM)crab2 Wrote:

I thought Auckland had tolls for the new Tunnels or did they do away with that
Yes they do have that one toll road, i was really meaning new toll roads for all their new roads and the new tunnel etc.
Seems that Auckland has lots of new roading, but very few toll roads compared to Tauranga, I could be wrong, but thats the way it appears to me, cambridge has their new road too and its not a toll road, and they are spending heaps on roading there in Hamilton right now.
(19-07-2020, 09:42 AM)Golfy Wrote:
Of course Auckland has a toll road. I’d rather pay a toll and drive on safe 4 lane motorways than the crappy two lane death traps around the country

The roads aren't the only problem, it's the average poorly trained driver using them. I wish the govt would put some money into our driver licensing system rather than just blaming speed all the time. You can slow down a crappy driver or put them on a better quality road, and they'll still be a crappy driver.

But I digress.. that's a rant for a different thread.
(19-07-2020, 01:52 PM)s.monkey Wrote:
(19-07-2020, 09:42 AM)Golfy Wrote: Of course Auckland has a toll road. I’d rather pay a toll and drive on safe 4 lane motorways than the crappy two lane death traps around the country

The roads aren't the only problem, it's the average poorly trained driver using them. I wish the govt would put some money into our driver licensing system rather than just blaming speed all the time. You can slow down a crappy driver or put them on a better quality road, and they'll still be a crappy driver.

But I digress.. that's a rant for a different thread.
Yup, I agree, all i see them doing is lowering speed limits everywhere and then installing speed cameras at each end to catch those entering the now low speed zone.
(17-07-2020, 01:31 PM)harm_less Wrote: This from the party that are continually questioning where the repayment of COVID related debt is going to come from. The likelihood of the Nat's being in a situation post-election to act on their election promises probably makes it a moot point anyway.
it doesnt matter who is in power the money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the taxpayers pocket
yes i know