Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook/Instagram to trial paid verification in NZ
Wasnt long ago when everyone was blasting Elon Musk for introducing this into Twitter, now Facebook is following suit it seems.
Looks like this is going to be the new norm, but im not paying $11 or so per month to have a badge, they should really be going after all the fake accounts scamming everybody. They dont seem to do much when I report a fake account currently
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/20/nz-to...ion-trial/
I wonder what "direct access to customer support" will involve? I can see the benefits for hospitality businesses and the like, come across a few of them that have had there FB/Insta accounts compromised...

From a business perspective for FB it is better to be making money fixing the problems rather than taking responsibility for all the scamming that goes on, for no financial gain...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Well if they use the money to provide customer support and make it a safer place then its not a bad thing, but will it result in less SPAM/SCAM/Sockpuppet accounts I wonder?
I came across your post, and I totally agree with you. It's disappointing to see social media platforms focus on paid verification instead of cracking down on fake accounts and scams.
You know what my biggest grouch with farcebook is? The scam where complete unknowns suddenly arrive to compliment a regular poster on something, strike up a friendship, and then try to suck them dry.

Vampires...

Paid verification isn't going to stop those fuckheads.
(01-04-2023, 08:55 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You know what my biggest grouch with farcebook is? The scam where complete unknowns suddenly arrive to compliment a regular poster on something, strike up a friendship, and then try to suck them dry.

Vampires...

Mind you, the good thing about them is they're so bloody obvious that they're easily avoided/ ignored.

Although it would be nice to be able to reply along the lines of something like 'Oh do bugger off fgs.' Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Very bloody obvious. Now. Having been hooked by one a while back I can understand why they catch so many out. Honest people just expect others to be the same, till we get vaccinated against the parasites and vampires...
(01-04-2023, 10:14 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 08:55 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You know what my biggest grouch with farcebook is? The scam where complete unknowns suddenly arrive to compliment a regular poster on something, strike up a friendship, and then try to suck them dry.

Vampires...

Mind you, the good thing about them is they're so bloody obvious that they're easily avoided/ ignored.

Although it would be nice to be able to reply along the lines of something like 'Oh do bugger off fgs.' Rolleyes Big Grin

I received my first catfishing attempt the other day. It was a handsome widower with very white teeth who said something like "You seem like an interesting woman and I would like to get to know you better. Please send me a friend request so we can talk". I politely replied "Eff off, Bot" and guess what? He seems to have lost interest.
(01-04-2023, 11:59 AM)Olive Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 10:14 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Mind you, the good thing about them is they're so bloody obvious that they're easily avoided/ ignored.

I received my first catfishing attempt the other day.  It was a handsome widower with very white teeth who said something like "You seem like an interesting woman and I would like to get to know you better.  Please send me a friend request so we can talk".  I politely replied "Eff off, Bot" and guess what?  He seems to have lost interest.

They are very good looking scammers, lol, on their profiles. Mine was a professor from Boston with a tragic past. It took me a little while to pay attention to my intuition - I can be a bit thick like that. But once I did I started seeing his clones on farcebook again and again...
(01-04-2023, 12:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 11:59 AM)Olive Wrote: I received my first catfishing attempt the other day.  It was a handsome widower with very white teeth who said something like "You seem like an interesting woman and I would like to get to know you better.  Please send me a friend request so we can talk".  I politely replied "Eff off, Bot" and guess what?  He seems to have lost interest.

They are very good looking scammers, lol, on their profiles. Mine was a professor from Boston with a tragic past. It took me a little while to pay attention to my intuition - I can be a bit thick like that. But once I did I started seeing his clones on farcebook again and again...

Oh gosh thats so sad, I hope you helped him in his hour of need. I would have........  Puke Puke Puke
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(01-04-2023, 11:59 AM)Olive Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 10:14 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Mind you, the good thing about them is they're so bloody obvious that they're easily avoided/ ignored.

I received my first catfishing attempt the other day.  It was a handsome widower with very white teeth who said something like "You seem like an interesting woman and I would like to get to know you better.  Please send me a friend request so we can talk".  I politely replied "Eff off, Bot" and guess what?  He seems to have lost interest.

Well done Olive, good for you! Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(01-04-2023, 01:56 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 12:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They are very good looking scammers, lol, on their profiles. Mine was a professor from Boston with a tragic past. It took me a little while to pay attention to my intuition - I can be a bit thick like that. But once I did I started seeing his clones on farcebook again and again...

Oh gosh thats so sad, I hope you helped him in his hour of need. I would have........  Puke Puke Puke

I am so ashamed because when the penny finally dropped I blocked the poor man and ghosted him.

What a bitch...
(01-04-2023, 02:23 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 01:56 PM)Kenj Wrote: Oh gosh thats so sad, I hope you helped him in his hour of need. I would have........  Puke Puke Puke

I am so ashamed because when the penny finally dropped I blocked the poor man and ghosted him.

What a bitch...

Nah - got what he deserved.
I totally get your concerns about paid verification becoming the new norm. It's interesting how different platforms are adopting similar features. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd pay a monthly fee just for a badge either. I think it would be more effective for Facebook to crack down on all those fake accounts that are causing trouble.
(05-07-2023, 05:06 AM)DaleDawsan Wrote: I totally get your concerns about paid verification becoming the new norm. It's interesting how different platforms are adopting similar features. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd pay a monthly fee just for a badge either. I think it would be more effective for Facebook to crack down on all those fake accounts that are causing trouble.
So how do you see Threads fitting into that scenario?
There's a scam. Sign up, go off it, and you lose Instagram as well...
(08-07-2023, 05:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There's a scam. Sign up, go off it, and you lose Instagram as well...
And it's in bed with Farcebook. Not on your nelly!
Doan you be dissing farcebook. Or else we can't be fwends.

Vampires...

I either ignore them or tell them to bugger off. Recently someone I know to be ever so slightly dead sent me a friend request, which I ignored but they also sent one to a friend of mine who was a friend of the dead person; she had a bit of fun with it asking if it was extremely hot where he was etc. until the person revealed themselves as a scammer trying to get money.
So she told him her opinion of him...he hasn't been back.
(08-07-2023, 03:34 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(05-07-2023, 05:06 AM)DaleDawsan Wrote: I totally get your concerns about paid verification becoming the new norm. It's interesting how different platforms are adopting similar features. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd pay a monthly fee just for a badge either. I think it would be more effective for Facebook to crack down on all those fake accounts that are causing trouble.
So how do you see Threads fitting into that scenario?

I must be late to the party, I only heard of threads for the first time last week on the news.
I cant be stuffed signing up to yet another social media platform, can see the same thing happening with bots and spammers. Its bad enough on facebook with all these friend requests from strangers wanting to hitch up.