Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woke crowd censor Roald Dahl's books...
Thumbs Down 
UK's prime minister Rishi Sunak thinks its absurd, I think this says alot coming from him.
In fantastic Mr fox, tractors are no longer "black" this is beyond ridicolus.
Augustis gloop is no longer described as "fat" and the oompa loopas are now gender neutral.

Roald Dahl would be disgusted.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/22/uk-pm...ahl-books/

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/20/criti...ensorship/
Dahl self edited his own books - the Oompa Loopas were originally black. I'm not sure what he would think, but I do know he didn't think like most people, and that's what makes his books so special.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
What do you think 'woke' actually means?
I miss golliwogs.

I grew up in Africa and never once connected golliwogs to the African people, tribesmen that were working in the community I grew up in.

Enid Blyton was read to me often when I was younger.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(22-02-2023, 07:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: What do you think 'woke' actually means?

Wild guess - anyone who wants change & more fairness......?? Big Grin Rolleyes

The term has been grabbed by the far right brigade & they like to use it as a derogatory term at the drop of a hat, whenever even a tiny change is mentioned. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The OP hasn't answered. Perhaps he googled it...  Big Grin
(24-02-2023, 02:58 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-02-2023, 07:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: What do you think 'woke' actually means?

Wild guess - anyone who wants change & more fairness......?? Big Grin Rolleyes

The term has been grabbed by the far right brigade & they like to use it as a derogatory term at the drop of a hat, whenever even a tiny change is mentioned. Rolleyes
The term 'woke' comes from African American slang and refers to being "aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)".

In that regard those who are anti-woke are essentially pro-bigotry, not something to be proud of IMO.
Synchronicity strikes again - https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/30081168...ng-of-woke
I would have to say the word "brigade" is going through a similar transformation... used to be an army unit, now it can be any kind of group of people and more lately in a disparaging sense...

(Guilty as charged your Honour)
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(24-02-2023, 03:26 PM)king1 Wrote: I would have to say the word "brigade" is going through a similar transformation...  used to be an army unit, now it can be any kind of group of people and more lately in a disparaging sense... 

Haven't heard 'social justice warrior' for a while...
Is Ringo still allowed to talk about The Fat Controller ?
Waging war with society
(24-02-2023, 03:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(24-02-2023, 03:26 PM)king1 Wrote: I would have to say the word "brigade" is going through a similar transformation...  used to be an army unit, now it can be any kind of group of people and more lately in a disparaging sense... 

Haven't heard 'social justice warrior' for a while...

Probably gone the way of the 'chem trails'   Big Grin Big Grin

Oh horrors - maybe there's a connection of some sort.. Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(24-02-2023, 04:24 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Is Ringo still allowed to talk about The Fat Controller ?

Shhh. They will rename him next!
(24-02-2023, 10:42 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(24-02-2023, 04:24 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Is Ringo still allowed to talk about The Fat Controller ?

Shhh. They will rename him next!
Are you sure he is actually a he rather than a they, she, or it?
He's fat, and controls the railway...maybe he should be called The Obese Controller ?

[Image: Sir_Topham_Hatt_1986.jpg]
Waging war with society
The Rotund Controller perhaps?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Nooooo! Please, not the 'obese' word! I was rather delighted to see my orthopod adopting the much less inyaface word for my glorious rubenesque physique in the last summary letter. He said I had a 'positive body mass index'...

Much less judgemental I thought. I was almost proud there for a minute...

Big Grin
I just heard that someone came to their senses on this one. Why it went on for so long, nobody knows ?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Penguin to publish ‘classic’ Roald Dahl books after backlash:

https://apnews.com/article/books-and-lit...82d4b26070

So all is well.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(25-02-2023, 11:23 AM)Zurdo Wrote: He's fat, and controls the railway...maybe he should be called The Obese Controller ?

[Image: Sir_Topham_Hatt_1986.jpg]

big,bulging,bulky,chunky,heavy,hefty,large,meaty,obese,plump,well-fed

Controller
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular