Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Locked out Win 11 laptop startup
I recently bought a used HP Elitebook 840 G8 Business Ultrabook 14" FHD. It has been working perfectly but kept getting this nagging message each time at start up to change my password Windows 11 pro which I set up originally for a local account.
Unfortunately I can't remember the password so I ignored it and eventually it locked me out, and when trying to change the password it needs my original password which I don't have.
Is it anything to do with HP Wolf security which is on the splash screen at the start.  Is there a setting in the bios that I could change.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-02-2023, 10:33 AM)mickg Wrote: I recently bought a used HP Elitebook 840 G8 Business Ultrabook 14" FHD. It has been working perfectly but kept getting this nagging message each time at start up to change my password Windows 11 pro which I set up originally for a local account.
Unfortunately I can't remember the password so I ignored it and eventually it locked me out, and when trying to change the password it needs my original password which I don't have.
Is it anything to do with HP Wolf security which is on the splash screen at the start.  Is there a setting in the bios that I could change.

It's not the BIOS password, but windows itself.
You can't change the password without knowing your current password.
Is this the only account on the PC?
There is a Linux boot disk with a tool called CHNTPW that let's you clear the password, but I've never tried it on windows 11.
I think this computer must have a password policy that requires you to change the password every month or so. Quite common if it was used in a corporate environment.
This can be changed in the local group policy editor.
Lazesoft is another one you could try
https://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recove...-free.html

iirc it can swap a MS user account to a local account as well as resetting the password...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
There is a hidden administrator account, you can use that to get in to the computer and change to a known password, contact Wainutech he will tell you how to do it.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
All sorted thanks help from Microsoft walked me through reset and restore good as gold.
Local accounts are not to hard Theres several ways, some more work than others. personally I have a bootable CD / USB drive that will do both Local and Microsoft Accounts. Most recovery software wont do Microsoft accounts.

People get a shock when they see how quick a password can be bypassed Big Grin
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Here is the advice that I received from Microsoft which helped me resolve my problem.  I expect you know the advice given but I did not so happy to share.

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your
device.
Press the power button again to turn on your device. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer's logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device. Press the power button again to turn on your device. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 Allow your device to fully restart to enter WinRE.
seconds to turn off your device. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

Hey presto back to normal.
(26-02-2023, 01:30 PM)mickg Wrote: Here is the advice that I received from Microsoft which helped me resolve my problem.  I expect you know the advice given but I did not so happy to share.

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your
device.
Press the power button again to turn on your device. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer's logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device. Press the power button again to turn on your device. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 Allow your device to fully restart to enter WinRE.
seconds to turn off your device. Press the power button again to turn on your device.

Hey presto back to normal.

Cant see how entering Recovery mode / options resets a password on its own - it doesn't, never known it to yet. Even going into Safe Mode it will ask for the password if it has one.

Microsoft wouldn't be so stupid to make it that simple to bypass a password. It "may" have cleared the HP software prompt but thats all.

The method described above  is only simply one way that forces windows into recovery mode.
There's also a LOT Easier way to get into recovery mode (thats all WinRE is) 

When the screens going at the login window, bottom right the power button,  (even locked out via a password) hold down the Shift Key, and click on restart, keep holding down the Shift key and it will boot into WinRE, which then gives a few options. 

FULLY expect to happen again unless you remove or change the password.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(25-02-2023, 03:34 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: Local accounts are not to hard  Theres several ways, some more work than others. personally I have a bootable CD / USB drive that will do both Local and Microsoft Accounts. Most recovery software wont do Microsoft accounts.

People get a shock when they see how quick a password can be bypassed Big Grin

Yes I've been able to successfully reset Microsoft accounts, but find it can be hit and miss at times and it is not always successful for whatever reason.
I find some people can be apprehensive to provide me the password on machines I work on, and seem shocked that I can get through it, or the fact it doesn't stop you accessing any files on the drive (unless bitlocker is enabled)
I dont know how anyone can expect me to work on repairing the computer without access to windows anyway! Perhaps they think i wave a magic wand over it or something?