Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Washing powder allergic reation
I have had an itchy reaction to the washing powder. Our doctor has prescribed some ointment for me which is good but only for a while. I have noticed that when I take my shirt off the irritation stops so I assume it is the soap powder. I am on my third brand and I'm still having an allergic reaction.

I was hoping there is someone who can recommend a soap powder that is made for people such as myself, that does not cause an allergic reaction.

Thanks for your help.
Are you sure its soap powder. I had a problem when they chlorinated our beautiful, crystal clear, highly potable artesian water.

Once I put in a high efficiency water filter system between the toby and my house at a cost of around $1100, problem solved.

Just a thought Roscoe.

Ken
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I react to many soaps and detergents and I have found that Persil Sensitive liquid doesn't affect me.
Where did you get the clothing from that is causing the skin reaction? Did the issue start from when you first got the shirt and are any other clothing items (particularly undergarments, underwear) from the same wash having this effect?

I'm suspecting that if it is just the one item of clothing that you may be reacting to formaldehyde which is commonly used to dress clothing and fabric to prevent creasing. Washing does not remove this as it is actually embedded in the fibres. I have a Swandri fleece jacket that offgassed when new and gave me asthma like breathing issues. The effect remains many years and dozens of washings further on if I get hot and sweaty when wearing it. Sensitivity to this toxic chemical used in textiles and household goods including carpets and laminates is all too common but is largely ignored by our health sector.

We sell clothing and fabrics with robust certifications regarding its freedom from manufacturing residues and other contaminants and we have regular clients that purchase our products due to their suffering ill effects from environmental toxins which often includes allergic reactions to fabric/clothing dressings.
Lux Flakes, but be careful in washing machine, use sparingly or it will clog up the machine over time.

My Nana was fine with all washing powders until one day a spider bit her arm after that Lux soap flakes was the only brand that didn't irritate her skin.

Later on she used fly spray instead of hair spay when she was getting ready to go out in a hurry, and doing her hair in a rush, a lot of her hair fell out and never really grew back.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I had a child with eczema and this regime eliminated it.

First of all, reduce your detergent use by at least half. Manufacturers recommendations have a commercial interest, you do not need a lot to do a good job, and do not use fabric softeners. They coat the fibres and are hard to remove.
Second, make every second wash a no detergent wash, just water. It cleans quite well without , especially if the items are not heavily soiled.
Thirdly, put the wash through an extra rinse and spin cycle after the cycle finishes.
And lastly, do a baking soda white vinegar hot wash at least once a month to remove machine build up.

Good luck!
(26-02-2023, 11:46 AM)Olive Wrote: I react to many soaps and detergents and I have found that Persil Sensitive liquid doesn't affect me.

Thank you, Olive. I will give it a try.

Yes, Ken, I am certain I have worn a shirt today that I have not worn for quite a few months with no reaction, yet my t shirts and my shorts - all washed with the same powder, make me itchy. I have drawn blood scratching!

No, Harmless, it is not the fabric as I have been wearing these shirts for some months now. This reaction has only happened recently which makes me think it is the soap powder. SWMBO bought another brand of soap powder which affected me so I tried another powder with a similar affect so I will trial Olive's suggestion.

Thank you everyone for your help. i'll let you know how I get on.

(26-02-2023, 11:46 AM)Olive Wrote: I react to many soaps and detergents and I have found that Persil Sensitive liquid doesn't affect me.

Thank you, Olive. I will give it a try.

Yes, Ken, I am certain I have worn a shirt today that I have not worn for quite a few months with no reaction, yet my t shirts and my shorts - all washed with the same powder, make me itchy. I have drawn blood scratching!

No, Harmless, it is not the fabric as I have been wearing these shirts for some months now. This reaction has only happened recently which makes me think it is the soap powder. SWMBO bought another brand of soap powder which affected me so I tried another powder with a similar affect so I will trial Olive's suggestion.

Thank you everyone for your help. i'll let you know how I get on.
(26-02-2023, 11:57 AM)harm_less Wrote: Where did you get the clothing from that is causing the skin reaction? Did the issue start from when you first got the shirt and are any other clothing items (particularly undergarments, underwear) from the same wash having this effect?

I'm suspecting that if it is just the one item of clothing that you may be reacting to formaldehyde which is commonly used to dress clothing and fabric to prevent creasing. Washing does not remove this as it is actually embedded in the fibres. I have a Swandri fleece jacket that offgassed when new and gave me asthma like breathing issues. The effect remains many years and dozens of washings further on if I get hot and sweaty when wearing it. Sensitivity to this toxic chemical used in textiles and household goods including carpets and laminates is all too common but is largely ignored by our health sector.

We sell clothing and fabrics with robust certifications regarding its freedom from manufacturing residues and other contaminants and we have regular clients that purchase our products due to their suffering ill effects from environmental toxins which often includes allergic reactions to fabric/clothing dressings.
Yes good advice.
Also it's a good idea to wash any new clothing before use.
I've had a little rash after wearing a new t-shirt once.
There is little regulation around what chemicals in the dye are used in the likes of China and other countries that produce our clothing.
It pays to shop around if you feel you have an allergy.