Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive violations in Ukraine
According to the UN, Russia's war against Ukraine has triggered massive human rights violations.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/27...ment-meets

"Russia faced strong criticism over its invasion of Ukraine on Monday as the top United Nations rights body and a global disarmament forum met, amid warnings that human rights worldwide were backsliding.
Days after the United Nations General Assembly in New York voted overwhelmingly to demand that Russia withdraw from Ukraine immediately, Moscow’s war also dominated the opening of the UN Human Rights Council and Conference for Disarmament sessions in Geneva.

Bonnie Jenkins, the United States undersecretary of state for arms control and international security, criticised Russia for suspending its participation in the New START Treaty, the last nuclear arms control pact between Moscow and Washington.
Russia is once again showing the world that it is not a responsible nuclear power,” she said, warning that “we now face a dramatically unstable security environment”.

She also made an impassioned appeal before the rights council, quoting a man who last March saw 15 children taken from the children’s home he ran in the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson and “didn’t have a chance to stop it”.
These 15, she said, are “among countless Ukrainian children, that Russia has reportedly abducted“.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Watching Al Jazeera and saw an on the ground report of cluster weapons being used by both sides. Must say I was a bit taken aback by that.
(28-02-2023, 05:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Watching Al Jazeera and saw an on the ground report of cluster weapons being used by both sides. Must say I was a bit taken aback by that.

The situation gets scarier the longer it goes on; the Ukrainians are rightly not going to give up but Putin is not altogether stable imo & won't want to lose face more than he has already & that may have the effect of making him more ruthless than he already is.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Each day this war drags out, the higher the chance of Putin being overthrown.
(28-02-2023, 10:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Each day this war drags out, the higher the chance of Putin being overthrown.
or shot...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(01-03-2023, 07:25 AM)king1 Wrote:
(28-02-2023, 10:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Each day this war drags out, the higher the chance of Putin being overthrown.
or shot...

Or fall out a window from the 10th story
Any of the above would do nicely, just as long they end the utter madness of war. Unless our species can somehow mature enough to do away with wars & learn to live peacefully despite our differences then I suspect we're probably doomed in the long term.
Exponential population growth on a finite surface area, primitive ape brain capable of some abstract thinking, lack of advanced software running for any length of time.

A recipe for disaster.

Almost universal belief in some form of superior metaphysical being watching over undeserving minions, taking care of them as long as they obey the rules.

A cosmic joke.

Good luck to anyone who can see through all the B.S.

It's laugh or cry.

As I typed this there was a big earthquake tremor here in Chch, my dog leapt up and came to me for comfort.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(01-03-2023, 11:03 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Exponential population growth on a finite surface area, primitive ape brain capable of some abstract thinking, lack of advanced software running for any length of time.

A recipe for disaster.

Almost universal belief in some form of superior metaphysical being watching over undeserving minions, taking care of them as long as they obey the rules.

A cosmic joke.

Good luck to anyone who can see through all the B.S.

It's laugh or cry.

As I typed this there was a big earthquake tremor here in Chch, my dog leapt up and came to me for comfort.

I felt that too - hope its not all going to start again dammit.

And yes - the older I get the more I think we're all idiots. Starting wars at the drop of a hat, sending boys (& girls now too) out to kill or be killed while the arms manufacturers make a mint. Making differences between each other & fighting about them, allowing a few to grab most of the wealth while millions starve or go without rather than having the intelligence & compassion to do better.
And believing that its all the way their god wants it - idiots, fools we are.