Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sadistic teachers
It isn't just corporal punishment that is the issue though. Many teachers become frustrated, overwhelmed, and stressed by their daily work, and take their anger out on their students. So long as we have over sized classes, poorly supported staff, and inattentive parenting these teachers will continue to ruin education for many.
(09-03-2023, 11:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It isn't just corporal punishment that is the issue though. Many teachers become frustrated, overwhelmed, and stressed by their daily work, and take their anger out on their students. So long as we have over sized classes, poorly supported staff, and inattentive parenting these teachers will continue to ruin education for many.

Agreed; imo our education system needs an overhaul. Education itself of all kinds should be far more valued as should teachers & those who tend towards behaving badly should be weeded out.

Classes should be far smaller & it also must be recognised that pupils/students learn in different ways; that has to be catered for rather than simply writing kids off & thus wasting their potential.
It might be worth looking at what's working in other countries & perhaps if need be, adapting their methods for here or simply using them as they are. 

I'm really not sure just why we don't value education more widely & understand the many benefits which come from it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-03-2023, 10:56 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 08:43 PM)nzoomed Wrote: My teacher used to spank us for no real reason that I can remember, this was at the age of 5 at the end of the 80s.
Thats not something you would get away with today! I wonder if any of the kids complained?

I'm surprised it happened even then - I'd have thought that by then,  we might have learned a bit better than using physical violence against kids.
Yes I agree.
She was an older teacher and must have thought she could get away with it.

I thought to myself that she was a bit out of place at the time to do that to the kids.
She smacked me on the bottom once and I remember her doing it to others in my class on a regular basis.
I never said anything to my parents about it and I wonder if any other complaints made it back to the school.
They were only 5 year old kids first year at school. Today the teacher would get sacked.