Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What can Trump realistically do to stop COVID19?
Question 
When I saw the people in the states that had lockdowns protesting outside in groups waving guns around wanting freedom, I think they have way more underlying issues to address.
Given how much control the various states have, I doubt any president good/bad/big-handed/little-handed could have done anything ballsy with regards to Covid. The notion of freedoms has been so ingrained in the American psyche that anything that goes against it might as well be WW3.

Trump may have been benefited from recognising "reality" but that ship has long since sailed.
(21-07-2020, 10:23 AM)thephoenix Wrote: Given how much control the various states have, I doubt any president good/bad/big-handed/little-handed could have done anything ballsy with regards to Covid. The notion of freedoms has been so ingrained in the American psyche that anything that goes against it might as well be WW3.

Trump may have been benefited from recognising "reality" but that ship has long since sailed.
Agreed.
Every state seems to be override alot of what congress says, I remember the mayor of new york criticising lockdowns, but in the end they did and that whole state now largely has it under control.
One of our suppliers is a Californian who spend a lot of his time in China. His take back in late February when COVID was first becoming recognised as a problem was "China is really good at controlling the people and the people are really good about following the rules.  USA. Not sure, you know the USA. They will put up more of a fight when it comes to control."

Also a friend that ran a business in LA area for close on 20 years has said that the American health system is run on an individual state level so very much patchwork in its approach to an issue like COVID. The current lack of meaningful US leadership then results in states taking their approaches on a Republican or Democrat basis depending on that state's leaning. Definitely a recipe for disaster when the strongest strategy requires a unified stand against infection risk.
(21-07-2020, 03:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: One of our suppliers is a Californian who spend a lot of his time in China. His take back in late February when COVID was first becoming recognised as a problem was "China is really good at controlling the people and the people are really good about following the rules.  USA. Not sure, you know the USA. They will put up more of a fight when it comes to control."

Also a friend that ran a business in LA area for close on 20 years has said that the American health system is run on an individual state level so very much patchwork in its approach to an issue like COVID. The current lack of meaningful US leadership then results in states taking their approaches on a Republican or Democrat basis depending on that state's leaning. Definitely a recipe for disaster when the strongest strategy requires a unified stand against infection risk.
Yup, definitely !
The health system is all in private control, and no government involvement in their operation. Hopefully this might be a shake-up to have a public  health system.
(22-07-2020, 09:28 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(21-07-2020, 03:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: One of our suppliers is a Californian who spend a lot of his time in China. His take back in late February when COVID was first becoming recognised as a problem was "China is really good at controlling the people and the people are really good about following the rules.  USA. Not sure, you know the USA. They will put up more of a fight when it comes to control."

Yup, definitely !
The health system is all in private control, and no government involvement in their operation. Hopefully this might be a shake-up to have a public  health system.

I know of an over 70 year old in a retirement complex in CA and he said all his medical expenses are taken care of by Medicare and it doesn't cost him anything. First you have to reach 70 though.
(23-07-2020, 05:27 PM)Kacee Wrote:
(22-07-2020, 09:28 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Yup, definitely !

I know of an over 70 year old in a retirement complex in CA and he said all his medical expenses are taken care of by Medicare and it doesn't cost him anything.  First you have to reach 70 though.
Thats good to know, i guess its part of their pension, not sure how all that works in the US, but at least they are being looked after.
Could vary between states possibly.