Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
emissions trading set for failure.
I could have said this was a bad idea.
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/climate-fund-...tion-flops
Houses go to auction all the time and don't sell - it doesn't mean the housing market is 'set for failure' . Nothing is failing...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Perhaps the OP would prefer a complete ban on carbon emissions? That would work, and wouldn't require an auction.
I do have other cameras!
(21-03-2023, 05:20 PM)king1 Wrote: Houses go to auction all the time and don't sell - it doesn't mean the housing market is 'set for failure' .  Nothing is failing...

Why would anyone want to purchase it?
I see it as a liability more than anything!

The reason its set for failure is the time it takes for these millions of trees to absorb carbon, while at the same time its only absorbing a drop in the bucket of a days worth of global CO2 emissions.
People are deluded, do they really think that they can keep burning CO2 because they own some credits in forest?
You would have to be planting the same amount of trees worth of carbon at the same rate you are burning the stuff, and that's just to remain status quo, its not going to reverse any climate impacts, and we are still burning CO2 left right and centre.

Its just greenwashing, just a way to make people feel better like they are doing something meaningful.
(23-03-2023, 11:06 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(21-03-2023, 05:20 PM)king1 Wrote: Houses go to auction all the time and don't sell - it doesn't mean the housing market is 'set for failure' .  Nothing is failing...

Why would anyone want to purchase it?

The reason its set for failure is the time it takes for these millions of trees to absorb carbon, while at the same time its only absorbing a drop in the bucket of a days worth of global CO2 emissions.
People are deluded, do they really think that they can keep burning CO2 because they own some credits in forest?
You would have to be planting the same amount of trees worth of carbon at the same rate you are burning the stuff, and that's just to remain status quo, its not going to reverse any climate impacts, and we are still burning CO2 left right and centre.

Its just greenwashing, just a way to make people feel better like they are doing something meaningful.

it's purpose is to build in a very real cost for businesses and industries that generate CO2, and conversely reward those businesses and industries that sequester CO2.  

It creates a financial incentive on both sides of the equation.  Not a be all and end all solution, but simply a means of modifying behaviours

(23-03-2023, 01:07 PM)king1 Wrote:
(23-03-2023, 11:06 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Why would anyone want to purchase it?

it's purpose is to build in a very real cost for businesses and industries that generate CO2, and conversely reward those businesses and industries that sequester CO2.  

It creates a financial incentive on both sides of the equation.  Not a be all and end all solution, but simply a means of modifying behaviours

How of any of this is going to mitigate climate change?
We have the best part of 200 years of CO2 emissions to catch up on, plus we still cant plant trees at the rate of burning, and at best even if we could, its not enough, we need to plant a whole continent to make any meaningful change.
Planting all of the saraha would achieve more than the few pines in NZ.
Check out the africa green belt, thats a more meaningful project, and why kiwis cant claim carbon offsetting for tree planting in the Amazon, i will never know.
Yet we are happy to let overseas buyers take over our farms and plant them all in pines.
Its hypocritical.
Thats why I really like Act's climate policy, because they would permit this.
(24-03-2023, 11:39 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(23-03-2023, 01:07 PM)king1 Wrote: it's purpose is to build in a very real cost for businesses and industries that generate CO2, and conversely reward those businesses and industries that sequester CO2.  

How of any of this is going to mitigate climate change?
We have the best part of 200 years of CO2 emissions to catch up on, plus we still cant plant trees at the rate of burning, and at best even if we could, its not enough, we need to plant a whole continent to make any meaningful change.
Check out the africa green belt, thats a more meaningful project, and why kiwis cant claim carbon offsetting for tree planting in the Amazon, i will never know.
Yet we are happy to let overseas buyers take over our farms and plant them all in pines.
Its hypocritical.
it will help mitigate climate change by modifying behaviours.  But like I said it is not a be all and end all solution, I think it is well established that it is going to take multiple initiatives to make a dent in it...

(24-03-2023, 11:49 AM)king1 Wrote:
(24-03-2023, 11:39 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: How of any of this is going to mitigate climate change?
Its hypocritical.
it will help mitigate climate change by modifying behaviours.  But like I said it is not a be all and end all solution, I think it is well established that it is going to take multiple initiatives to make a dent in it...
I think that re-forestation is the best thing for the environment, but unfortunately many countries that face this issue have corrupt governments, its only just recently that Brazil for instance has a new leader that is actually trying to address this issue for once after many decades of corrupt governments.
Im excited to see what progress is made to restore the amazon.

Nature also is partly to blame, the Sahara desert used to be lush rainforest once upon a time, but its believed an asteroid hit the earth and wiped it all out. But life still survives, it just needs to adapt.
Many civilizations have now been lost to the ocean over past climate change, its always happening.
humans need to learn to adapt, its beyond our control, but we can do our bit to restore what has been lost.

Check out Dogger Island, thats off the coast from the UK, its believed it once  joined europe, its all under water after sea level rise.
I wouldnt be surprised if we see another ice age and then everyone will be wanting the earth to warm up again.
it is important to make the distinction between climate changes we can't control (asteroid impacts, solar cycles etc ) and the ones that we can...

Take that hole in the ozone layer for example, we caused the problem over decades with the use of CFCs, eventually figured out it was mankind that did it and acknowledged the responsibility, then we set about undoing what we caused.

It is still there now but well down in size now from when it peaked in 2006

Maybe so, but co2 emissions is a much more complex thing.
CFC production was a simple enough thing to halt and hadn't been around as long as fossil fuels being burned.
This article sums it up well.

https://theconversation.com/a-tonne-of-f...-us-200901