Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Frequently Asked Computing Questions
This thread will be an evolving list of frequently asked computing related questions. So post your FAQs below, and they will be added to the list. I'll kick it off:

1) My favourite website isn't working properly or my browser is acting weirdly, what do I do?
If you're trying to use a website that isn't working properly (for example: Trademe or NZHerald), the first step is to turn your computer off and on again. This will often solve weird issues that can pop up from time to time. 

The second step is to try a different browser.
All Windows computers come pre-installed with Edge and Internet Explorer. Because this kind of problem, (having trouble getting to a site), is very common it's eminently sensible to have two or more Browsers on your device in order to use a process of elimination.

You can have multiple Browsers on any device be it a computer, phone, tablet etc etc.

The third step is to delete your browser's cache, history and cookies (NOTE: this may remove some of your saved passwords).
For Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answ...ktop&hl=en
For Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how...efox-cache
For Edge: https://clear-my-cache.com/en/windows/mi...-edge.html

The last resort is to reinstall your browser. This will involve uninstalling your browser, going to the website for your preferred browser, downloading it, and installing it. Make sure your favourites and settings are backed up!

If none of these things work, it could just be an issue with the website itself. Try it using a different browser. Still doesn't work? You may just have to wait until the website is updated and the issue is fixed.

2) 

3) 

4)

5)
I'd like to modify this to say either the 1st or 2nd step should be to try a Different Browser.
All Windows computers come pre installed with Edge and Internet Explorer. Because this kind of problem, (having trouble getting to a site), is very common it's eminently sensible to have two or more Browsers on your device in order to use a process of elimination.

You can have multiple Browsers on any device be it a computer, phone, tablet etc etc.
Good call! Have updated it. Feel free to post your own FAQs too
(16-02-2020, 04:06 PM)suicidemonkey Wrote: Good call! Have updated it. Feel free to post your own FAQs too
Oh sure I'll think up some but am only using phone just now and it's a bit of a P. I. T. A, (No touch type lol).
Im thinking other topics that are good to keep on sticky are:

Scam warning, i.e never give your credit card over the phone to some random caller.

Instructions for asking for help here, ie information to provide us, computer specs, model, OS etc
Good idea. Want me to set those up?
(16-02-2020, 06:13 PM)suicidemonkey Wrote: Good idea. Want me to set those up?
yeah sure, go ahead
I don't see you suggesting they delete their browsing history too as that can also cause pages to stop loading
(17-02-2020, 03:33 PM)crab2 Wrote: I don't see you suggesting they delete their browsing history too as that can also cause pages to stop loading

The browsing history shouldn't have any effect on pages loading, just the cache. But yes it's probably worthwhile anyway, I'll update it.
(17-02-2020, 04:59 PM)s.monkey Wrote:
(17-02-2020, 03:33 PM)crab2 Wrote: I don't see you suggesting they delete their browsing history too as that can also cause pages to stop loading

The browsing history shouldn't have any effect on pages loading, just the cache. But yes it's probably worthwhile anyway, I'll update it.
Yeah I don't remember anytime seeing history as a page load culprit.
A few suggestions...

1Q: I need help - What info should I provide
1A: With IT problems it is important to provide as much detailed information as possible to minimize ambiguity. You can refer our sticky post here . (link to videomonkeys post )

2Q: My device is doing weird things eg can't get online, programs and apps aren't opening, mouse/keyboard won't work
2A: Restart the device: the simple action of restarting a device, can fix many different issues that can occur. This means using the proper shutdown/restart function for the device - lock and sleep modes does not fix any issues even of the screen turns off. Pulling the plug should be a last resort...

4Q: I can't get online with my device
4A: First thing to try is power cycle (unplug, turn off) your modem/router/Fibre ONT or other network hardware.

A few Other Q's -
I want/need to buy another PC/Laptop/Phone/Tablet - what should I be looking for.
I can't send or receive email?
My computer's acting weird, have I got a Virus?
I want to clear my internet history?
My Computer Has Crashed – How Do I Fix It?
How Do I Get My PC into Safe Mode?
I Can't connect to my wireless network

I guess with the scope of some of these there could be any number of possible solutions, and the answer could get quite large - not sure how much detail we need to get into, some of them you really can't answer concisely and correctly in a paragraph or two .
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
If your favorite website is not working and you have tried several browsers , go to https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ and enter the site in there then you will know if its down for everyone or just for you.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(30-10-2021, 12:47 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: If your favorite website is not working and you have tried several browsers , go to  https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ and enter the site in there then you will know if its down for everyone or just for you.
Good idea, that should certainly be included
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I go into Settings & Clear out History quite often.