Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I get free legal aid?
I have been seriously defamed and I would like to take action against the person who has defamed me. Unfortunately I cannot afford a lawyer as I am on the pension and a lawyer costs over $600 an hour! That is two thirds of my fortnightly pay! 

I had a look online and I found that I can get legal aid but it is as the title says, "aid" and it needs to be repaid and I just can't afford that.

My question is where can I access legal help that I do not have to repay? Is free legal help available? 

Thanks for your help.
(30-03-2023, 06:59 AM)Roscoe Wrote: I have been seriously defamed and I would like to take action against the person who has defamed me. Unfortunately I cannot afford a lawyer as I am on the pension and a lawyer costs over $600 an hour! That is two thirds of my fortnightly pay! 

I had a look online and I found that I can get legal aid but it is as the title says, "aid" and it needs to be repaid and I just can't afford that.

My question is where can I access legal help that I do not have to repay? Is free legal help available? 

Thanks for your help.

Community Law might be able to help, and Citizens Advice can get you 15 minutes with a free lawyer by appointment, usually after hours.

There are also lawyers who will do the work for you for a percentage of any settlement, but I would try the community ones first.

I would also have a real think about bothering to take any action at all unless the defamation is costing you in real terms. Sometimes stupid people are horrible to deal with and cause immense stress, but the people who know us best are the ones we should focus on. It is better for our own mental wellbeing if we edit the horrible ones out of our lives and move on without them. That also annoys the hell out of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide,  Roscoe.
You can phone for general legal aid enquiries: Phone (toll free): 0800 2 LEGAL AID (0800 253 425) at the Ministry of Justice. As with all Government Agencies will the phone be answered?
I'd agree - give it plenty of thought first since the opinions of some are worthless & shouldn't be given any time or attention. What counts is the opinion of our nearest & dearest rather than the local dolt who doesn't know us.
I'd try CAB to get an idea of whether or not its worth taking the time for.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)