Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris bans rental E scooters
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65154854

"Parisians have voted to ban rental electric scooters in their city, dealing a blow to scooter operators and a triumph for road safety campaigners.
Almost 90% of votes cast on Sunday favoured a ban the battery-powered devices, official results showed.
But under 8% of those eligible turned out to vote.

The referendum was called in response to a rising number of people being injured and killed on e-scooters in the French capital.
Of the 1.38 million people on the city's electoral register, just over 103,000 took part, according to offical figures. Of these, over 91,300 voted against the scooters.
Paris was one of the first cities to adopt the electric vehicles - but critics argue they were causing more harm than good.

There was growing concern with the way some people were driving the scooters - weaving through traffic, dodging pedestrians on pavements, and getting up to speeds of 17mph (27km/h).
Riders often did not wear helmets and children as young as 12 could legally hire the e-scooters.

There was also criticism that groups of parked e-scooters were cluttering pavements.
In 2021, a 31-year-old Italian woman was killed after being hit by an e-scooter carrying two people. She fell and hit her head on the pavement, suffering a cardiac arrest.
But operators of the e-scooters argued the vehicles made up a small proportion of overall traffic accidents in the city."
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo called the referendum, where voters could say if they were for or against free-floating e-scooters. Privately-owned vehicles were not part of the vote."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Sensible French people. Those blasted things are a pain in the arse.
(03-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Sensible French people. Those blasted things are a pain in the arse.

It might help if they made some noise but they just whizz by without a sound. Perhaps some extremely loud & potentially embarrassing noise could be used... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(03-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Sensible French people. Those blasted things are a pain in the arse.

yep they're an ugly blight on the city...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I agree, have to get off my mobility scooter and move them on the grass berm. nothing changes, thinking I may throw them in the gutter.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(03-04-2023, 03:53 PM)Kenj Wrote: I agree, have to get off my mobility scooter and move them on the grass berm. nothing changes, thinking I may throw them in the gutter.

Why the able bodied think it is okay to leave them parked across the footpath I have no idea. However, I do grin to myself when I think in a few decades they will be moaning about something blocking their access to whatever they need - karma means what goes around, comes around!

(03-04-2023, 03:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

It might help if they made some noise but they just whizz by without a sound. Perhaps some extremely loud & potentially embarrassing noise could be used... Rolleyes Big Grin

Like the ridiculous noise my scooter horn makes you mean?
Mind you we don't seem to hear about lime scooter accidents in our media anymore.
Their use seems to be encouraged here to avoid traffic congestion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHbvLOtwaOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK255ofJPhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxzvq7xPBXc
An e scooter is an expensive thing to buy, there are a lot more things I could do with that money before I put it on a scooter. These rental companies have hundreds of thousands of these things in cities around the world, and they take terrible abuse, the lifespan of some would just be a matter of days. But it seems a very lucrative business...or else they wouldn't do it. What is the real cost of these scooters to them ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I find the cost of lime scooters is alot more than they used to be. They used to have an all day rate at $5 or something when they were introduced in my area.
They still come in handy if you need to get around the city and save a walk to your car park, etc.
Ive got my own scooter now and it is handy to get around the place, has reasonable range too but i dont use it too often.
I think I would prefer an E-bike in alot of ways, but with a scooter you can fold it down and put it out of the way.
I love mine though never ride it on the footpath only the road. Have had it up to 65kmh (wind assisted) and with a 70km range have ridden it all the way to town from Wainuiomata. Though normally I ride to the station and take the train.
Strange. I kind of pictured you as more the Porsche type man...
(03-04-2023, 05:07 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Mind you we do  ,'t seem to hear about lime scooter accidents in our media anymore.
Their use seems to be encouraged here to avoid traffic congestion.

I agree ban them or heavily restrict their usage:
a) I often am passed by one on the footpath (waiting for a bus) which could have hit me if I moved (I was unaware of its approach and there is no user horn or shout).
b) they are dumped untidily across footpaths rather than to the side
c)  Lots are ridden by young people -they could walk or cycle-why do they not use cycle lanes when they are available
d) there is no user registration process - to chase up for infringements
e) the other day I saw one moron (I guess 30 to 40 year old) travelling (at speed) downhill on busy (motor vehicles) Khyber Pass Rd (Auckland) with no helmet nor other protective gear and talking on his cellphone -holding it up to his ear.
Hmmn, did you see the Grim Reaper waiting at the bottom of the hill? Smile
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!