Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book depository to close
Bastards! Dodgy Angry

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/a...nline-shop

"The online shop Book Depository is due to close at the end of April, vendors and publishing partners have been told. This comes after the bookseller’s parent company Amazon announced it had decided to “eliminate” a number of positions across its Devices and Books businesses.
The Gloucester-based bookseller was founded in 2004 by Stuart Felton and Andrew Crawford, a former Amazon employee, with the mantra of “selling ‘less of more’ rather than ‘more of less’”. It aimed to sell 6m titles covering a wide variety of genres and topics, as opposed to focusing solely on bestsellers. While originally a rival to Amazon, it was acquired by the retail giant in 2011, causing some in the publishing industry to worry about the tightening of the American company’s “stranglehold” on the UK book trade.
According to the trade magazine the Bookseller, an email sent out to vendors and publishing partners explained that Book Depository will be closing, and that the last date customers will be able to place orders is 26 April. “Over the coming weeks we will complete a winding down of the business, including discontinuing our listings as a marketplace seller and closing our website,” Andy Chart, head of vendor management, wrote.

In total, the company was planning to make just over 18,000 people redundant, Jassy added. Amazon has not shared how many jobs will be lost specifically at Book Depository."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Buggar! That will be the end of free postage that BD offered us.
Yep, for sure. Its really annoying, they were really convenient to use & invariably good service.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Terrible news. Is there an alternative book distributor? I really don't want to pay Amazon's ridiculous freight charges.
There are places like Mighty Ape, Fishpond, The Nile & one I've not come across before, Hedleys which seems a bit pricey. Whitcoulls tend to ne mainly best sellers I think. There's also Scorpio books which is excellent but pricey.
I'm not keen to pay Amazon's prices either - really annoyed BD is closing.
I spent some time today looking around at book distributors, particularly searching for a fairly obscure cook book that I want. I found it on TM listed at $130. No way I was going to pay that, so looked around some more. Found it at Blackwell's, $68 including postage. The website was easy to traverse and the range is huge.

Phew.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/home
(17-04-2023, 07:30 PM)Olive Wrote: I spent some time today looking around at book distributors, particularly searching for a fairly obscure cook book that I want.    I found it on TM listed at $130.    No way I was going to pay that, so looked around some  more.  Found it at Blackwell's, $68 including postage.  The website was easy to traverse and the range is huge.

Phew.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/home

Cheers for that Olive, they look like a  promising alternative to BD. Smile