Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacinda Ardern,Gareth Hughes
"One day we will look at Ardern as one of our best leaders."

I think he's probably right. While as imperfect as any PM, she nonetheless in some respects did an excellent job of being leader. Unconventional in comparison to those who've gone before her.

And I really don't think we yet fully comprehend the impact of that hug. Most women & many men understand on an instinctual level that when someone is in huge pain & suffering massive trauma, you just hug them & AFAIK, never before has any leader of any country done such a thing.

It came from a visceral level, as did the actions of the terrorist - but where his actions were so very warped & twisted with hatred that he was able to see  a small child only as 'enemy' & murder him, the hug came not from hatred but from love & empathy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/30084878...st-leaders

"Not in the same pantheon as Richard Seddon or Peter Fraser for their impact on the country, but high up on the next tier. She brought in a universal child payment for parents; ushered in Fair Pay agreements for workers; healthy home standards for renters; winter energy payments for a million Kiwis; New Zealand History into the curriculum; free school lunches and period products for students, and a policy foundation for climate action.
Labour’s website documents a list of achievements much longer than this, but the last five years have felt like running from crisis to crisis struggling to take a breath. So it’s perhaps even more remarkable that she was able to deliver as much as she did.
What other Prime Minister outside of wartime has had to deal with so much and then, did it so well? We can point to thousands of New Zealanders who are alive today because of her bold, swift actions and leadership over Covid.
In 2020, a month after Covid arrived, she recorded a staggering 83% approval rating. Her message of kindness, Wellbeing Budgets and empathetic responses to March 15 and Whakaari White Island made her a global beacon, especially then, as the antithesis of Trump."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
She also started putting money into the Superannuation fund, after John Key stopped them.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(07-04-2023, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: "One day we will look at Ardern as one of our best leaders."

I think he's probably right. While as imperfect as any PM, she nonetheless in some respects did an excellent job of being leader. Unconventional in comparison to those who've gone before her.

And I really don't think we yet fully comprehend the impact of that hug. Most women & many men understand on an instinctual level that when someone is in huge pain & suffering massive trauma, you just hug them & AFAIK, never before has any leader of any country done such a thing.

It came from a visceral level, as did the actions of the terrorist - but where his actions were so very warped & twisted with hatred that he was able to see  a small child only as 'enemy' & murder him, the hug came not from hatred but from love & empathy

"Not in the same pantheon as Richard Seddon or Peter Fraser for their impact on the country, but high up on the next tier. She brought in a universal child payment for parents; ushered in Fair Pay agreements for workers; healthy home standards for renters; winter energy payments for a million Kiwis; New Zealand History into the curriculum; free school lunches and period products for students, and a policy foundation for climate action.
Labour’s website documents a list of achievements much longer than this, but the last five years have felt like running from crisis to crisis struggling to take a breath. So it’s perhaps even more remarkable that she was able to deliver as much as she did.
What other Prime Minister outside of wartime has had to deal with so much and then, did it so well? We can point to thousands of New Zealanders who are alive today because of her bold, swift actions and leadership over Covid.
In 2020, a month after Covid arrived, she recorded a staggering 83% approval rating. Her message of kindness, Wellbeing Budgets and empathetic responses to March 15 and Whakaari White Island made her a global beacon, especially then, as the antithesis of Trump."

Nope no vomit emoji available
'A prophet is not without honour except in his own country'

Luke 4:24

Not bad for an old pagan...  Tongue
(07-04-2023, 09:40 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(07-04-2023, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: "One day we will look at Ardern as one of our best leaders."

Puke Puke yes there is Smile
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(07-04-2023, 09:40 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

There's more than enough hatred, misogyny & vitriol elsewhere.

(07-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Zurdo Wrote: She also started putting money into the Superannuation fund, after John Key stopped them.

Yes - rich boys cannot comprehend the day to day reality of most people & appear to imagine that they can exist on little more than air.

I'd like to see all politicians who set the level of benefits be obliged to live on the lowest lever of benefit for six months over winter; fairly sure they'd come to an entirely new understanding then. Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(07-04-2023, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yes - rich boys cannot comprehend the day to day reality of most people & appear to imagine that they can exist on little more than air.

I'd like to see all politicians who set the level of benefits be obliged to live on the lowest lever of benefit for six months over winter; fairly sure they'd come to an entirely new understanding then. Rolleyes Big Grin

They would need to have no access to their savings and investments, and live in a poorly furnished rental with an empty pantry and appliances that are reaching the ends of their lives.
(08-04-2023, 03:26 PM)Olive Wrote:
(07-04-2023, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yes - rich boys cannot comprehend the day to day reality of most people & appear to imagine that they can exist on little more than air.

They would need to have no access to their savings and investments, and live in a poorly furnished rental with an empty pantry and appliances that are reaching the ends of their lives.

Yes, absolutely no point unless they gain a genuine understanding. But I wouldn't want anyone to lose their home so that would have to be sorted first.
If they had an electric car they could save on fuel !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(08-04-2023, 08:27 AM):puke:Kenj Wrote:
(07-04-2023, 09:40 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Nope no vomit emoji available

Puke Puke yes there is Smile

Ah thnkyou.  Have now found it.

And in response to article 

Puke  Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke
(08-04-2023, 03:26 PM)Olive Wrote:

They should have a cat too. One with picky tastes in dinner. And unfortunate aim with litter trays.

Only fair we should share the love!  Smile
(08-04-2023, 07:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 03:26 PM)Olive Wrote: They would need to have no access to their savings and investments, and live in a poorly furnished rental with an empty pantry and appliances that are reaching the ends of their lives.

They should have a cat too. One with picky tastes in dinner. And unfortunate aim with litter trays.

Oh, I DO like that one!  Big Grin Big Grin

And perhaps also an especially bossy dog with an obsession about the daily walk who is able to turn swiftly neurotic if deprived of it...? Rolleyes
(08-04-2023, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 07:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They should have a cat too. One with picky tastes in dinner. And unfortunate aim with litter trays.

Oh, I DO like that one!  Big Grin Big Grin

And perhaps also an especially bossy dog with an obsession about the daily walk who is able to turn swiftly neurotic if deprived of it...? Rolleyes

I remember that with my Molly (Corgi of course) Bless her!! died in 2016 of old age - 15.5 years. Sadsmile Sadsmile
(08-04-2023, 08:15 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Oh, I DO like that one!  Big Grin Big Grin

I remember that with my Molly (Corgi of course) Bless her!! died in 2016 of old age - 15.5 years. Sadsmile Sadsmile

Dogs are very skilled at getting what they want - survival skills no doubt. Smile

Lol is this some sort of joke?
She has to be the worst leader NZ has ever had.
There is a reason her popularity dropped so much.
Now NZ is left with a high cost of living crisis and record inflation and division in society we have never experienced before.
I wouldn't mind betting she will find a nice spot in the world economic forum.
I think she has quite enough to do with William and the Christchurch Call.

Strangely enough, not every ex PM seeks to make money from their past employment as a national leader.

Which is one of the things that sets her apart from the rest, and one of the reasons she is so well respected internationally.

The Stuff cartoon over the weekend showing her being cheered on by the world while the small jealous rodent booed from the sidelines was right on the money.

And no, I didn't vote Labour.
(10-04-2023, 10:17 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think she has quite enough to do with William and the Christchurch Call.

Strangely enough, not every ex PM seeks to make money from their past employment as a national leader.

Which is one of the things that sets her apart from the rest, and one of the reasons she is so well respected internationally.

The Stuff cartoon over the weekend showing her being cheered on by the world while the small jealous rodent booed from the sidelines was right on the money.

And no, I didn't vote Labour.

Nope, I didn't vote labour either. However I respect the lady for her efforts in times of trouble. I feel she just dropped the ball in her last few months of leadership.

Labour party though  Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke
(10-04-2023, 10:06 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Lol is this some sort of joke?
Now NZ is left with a high cost of living crisis and record inflation and division in society we have never experienced before.
you can't really blame her for those pesky global issues that have substantially caused the inflation and high cost of living crisis, covid,  supply chain issues, wars - that sort of thing.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(10-04-2023, 10:43 AM)king1 Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 10:06 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Lol is this some sort of joke?
you can't really blame her for those pesky global issues that have substantially caused the inflation and high cost of living crisis, covid,  supply chain issues, wars - that sort of thing.
Also worth considering there are probably somewhere in the order of 40,000 New Zealanders alive now that wouldn't have been but for our government's world leading approach in controlling the import and spread of COVID when they did, and Jacinda was one of the leading forces in those initiatives.
I don't think another leader anywhere has had to deal with a pandemic, a terrorist attack & a volcanic explosion within a relatively short space of time. That it was managed as well as it was - albeit not perfectly - speaks volumes.