Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big story on scams One News tonight
And finally it seems that media are waking up to this.  Last year $183 millon was lost in reported scams by people in NZ.  That is reported scams.  Actual loss could br 3 or 4 times higher.

However one "expert" suggested that banks should stop contacting their customers to avoid confusion.  And when banks see these scams occurring what should they do?  Send a letter?

People just need to be much more careful when they get emails, texts and phone calls out of the blue.   Never click a link to solve a problem.   Never give out personal information to a random caller - if they are actually calling from your bank, credit card company etc they will already have your information so thy won't need you to give it to them !
Last night's piece on the scam targeting Chinese expats in NZ showed just how it was both clever and psychologically difficult to see through.

People get scammed because they trust, they believe others are as honest and well intentioned as they are. Or, because like the scammers, they are greedy and think they are entitled to win more often. Or they have a need the scam offers to satisfy. Anyone can be deceived, most people have been at some stage or another. We give because someone needs help, only to find out they were the taking kind. We lose a little faith when that happens. We give to a charity, only to discover our money funds consultants, and salaries, and fancy buildings, and rarely gets to those who need the money. We worship at churches, only to find the worm at the heart of those religions. We trust in our leaders, only to find they too are as fallible, as human as we are.

We cannot stop the scammers. They are human beings just like us. That is why and how we become their victims.

But it's okay. Climate change will wipe the planet clean, and start again with another lot...

Big Grin
(08-04-2023, 07:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Last night's piece on the scam targeting Chinese expats in NZ showed just how it was both clever and psychologically difficult to see through.

People get scammed because they trust, they believe others are as honest and well intentioned as they are. Or, because like the scammers, they are greedy and think they are entitled to win more often. Or they have a need the scam offers to satisfy. Anyone can be deceived, most people have been at some stage or another. We give because someone needs help, only to find out they were the taking kind. We lose a little faith when that happens. We give to a charity, only to discover our money funds consultants, and salaries, and fancy buildings, and rarely gets to those who need the money. We worship at churches, only to find the worm at the heart of those religions. We trust in our leaders, only to find they too are as fallible, as human as we are.

We cannot stop the scammers. They are human beings just like us. That is why and how we become their victims.

But it's okay. Climate change will wipe the planet clean, and start again with another lot...

Big Grin

We're trusting souls - & also devious bastards. Rolleyes Big Grin
 Two characteristics of humans which account for quite a lot of our problems, though there's a school of thought which holds that its better to help an undeserving person than to miss helping those in genuine need.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(08-04-2023, 07:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 07:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Last night's piece on the scam targeting Chinese expats in NZ showed just how it was both clever and psychologically difficult to see through.

Big Grin

We're trusting souls - & also devious bastards. Rolleyes Big Grin
 Two characteristics of humans which account for quite a lot of our problems, though there's a school of thought which holds that its better to help an undeserving person than to miss helping those in genuine need.
I have always thought I'd rather be deceived than be the deceiver. I am not good at guilt.
(08-04-2023, 09:40 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 07:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We're trusting souls - & also devious bastards. Rolleyes Big Grin
I have always thought I'd rather be deceived than be the deceiver. I am not good at guilt.

Me neither - you'd feel an idiot but at least you'd know you hadn't done anyone else harm.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(08-04-2023, 06:33 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And finally it seems that media are waking up to this.  Last year $183 millon was lost in reported scams by people in NZ.  That is reported scams.  Actual loss could br 3 or 4 times higher.

However one "expert" suggested that banks should stop contacting their customers to avoid confusion.  And when banks see these scams occurring what should they do?  Send a letter?

People just need to be much more careful when they get emails, texts and phone calls out of the blue.   Never click a link to solve a problem.   Never give out personal information to a random caller - if they are actually calling from your bank, credit card company etc they will already have your information so thy won't need you to give it to them !

yes I agree, "not contacting their customers to avoid confusion" is just dumb, in some situations they just have to intercede, suspicious transactions etc...

The giving out personal information thing is a bit interesting though, some organisations will usually ask for two or three pieces of personal information in order to establish that they are talking to the actual client and not some scammer.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup