Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive 'joke' from National candidate
It seems that nothing changes for those on the right politically; some appear to still live back in the 1950s. You'd think that by now such repulsive, sexist views might have disappeared but apparently not.  Dodgy Angry

They're not doing themselves any favours & will be unlikely to gain many votes from women apart from very, very conservative women.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...es-its-mps

[b]"OPINION[/b]: “I like my Covid like I like my women. 19. And easy to spread.”
Offensive? Sexist? Inappropriate? Not for National Party candidate Stephen Jack, who shared the video which included the ‘gag’ on Facebook.
On the po-faced scale, it isn’t quite in the league of beating a child with a bed leg (Sam Uffindell).

Nor sending inappropriate text messages to a teenager (Andrew Falloon), leaking sensitive patient data to the media (Hamish Walker), bullying and sexual impropriety (Jami-Lee Ross), or impersonating a former partner online (Jake Bezzant).
But it’s certainly up there with comparing civil unions to polygamy and incest (Greg Fleming), when it comes to unattractive qualities in an elected representative. And it won’t help National’s shaky standing with women.

The random idiot generator that selects National Party candidates has spat out another couple of beauties.

(After Stuff contacted National on Friday, Jack acknowledged the video he shared was “offensive” and removed it.)
Jack’s joke comes hot on the heels of news that Fleming, the party’s Maungakiekie candidate, made the homophobic comparison in a press release for the ultra-conservative Maxim Institute think-tank.
Fleming has distanced himself from the “unhelpful” comments, made some twenty years ago during the civil union debate.
He says he was trying to make a point about contractual law.

But he should not be allowed to slip off the hook so easily. At the same time, his fellow Maxim founder Bruce Logan was linking earlier homosexual law reform to an increase in child abuse.
The institute used an online tool that helped people to send letters to the editors of 76 newspapers. It resulted in the publication of correspondence which compared a gay Labour MP to a rabid dog that ought to be put down.
And while Maxim claims to have shifted its focus from social to fiscal conservatism, there has been no apology for its treatment of the rainbow community.
It is also uncomfortable for National that Fleming was chief executive of Parenting Place when it endorsed a counsellor that offered conversion therapy. (It cut ties when The Spinoff started asking questions.)

If the Government changes, Fleming is likely to be one of those swelling National’s so-called ‘Taliban’ faction (an in-house reference to ultra-conservative Christians in the National caucus). Paulo Garcia, a devout Catholic, has also been selected for New Lynn, a Labour stronghold. 
The influence of socially conservative Christian MPs has been growing steadily under the leadership of Simon Bridges, Judith Collins and Christopher Luxon and is tipping the balance away from urban liberals.
Undoubtedly, the religious right is emboldened by the culture wars and abortion debate that has dominated US politics, and that Luxon has a strong faith.
Electorally, it makes little sense."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It was such a stupid "joke" too - not funny, deeply misogynist, and also offensive to pandemic victims by its trivialising of a lethal virus. Appalling.
They keep picking these stupid people.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Useful thing, doubt. It makes us think critically.
(16-04-2023, 05:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They keep picking these stupid people.

Perhaps, we should be grateful....?

Its that or become unbelievably angry at the level of incompetent stupidity involved in selecting such people.

(16-04-2023, 05:57 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell

And he wasn't wrong either.  Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There are a lot of weird politicians, and I don't think it's restricted to the left of the right
While I don't doubt that there's still very offensive sexist & misogynistic views among all older politicians, particularly men, I think those who are listed really speaks for itself.
Hmmm, where to put this?   Kiss Itwasntme Giggle

This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(18-04-2023, 03:51 PM)king1 Wrote: Hmmm, where to put this?   Kiss Itwasntme Giggle

You know, I suspect you know where you can put that... Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
(17-04-2023, 09:29 AM)jilledge Wrote: There are a lot of weird politicians, and I don't think it's restricted to the left of the right

You are so right. I'm very disappointed by the current bullying thing going on in the Greens...