Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning to NZ from Australia
Hi, I currently live in Australia and am returning home this year. Grew up Southland, lived in Dunedin till I finished high school in 2009. I had meant to stay in Australia for only a year or two as I was just visiting siblings, but my parents in NZ then moved over and that led me to stay as well. The last few years I have unsuccessfully so-far battled mental health issues over the pandemic, which recently ended with me being committed into a hospital for a few months. This was pretty bad as I lost my (casual) job and had no safety net at the time, and being a Kiwi there isn't much help in Aus if you can't work. I've been living off my savings and family since then. 

And that brings me to this post as I plan to take my doctors' advice and try to put a fresh foot forward in NZ since my savings are dried up, I'm out of a job and the ongoing medication changes I'm on makes it difficult to maintain employment anyway. I have a family member in Southland who I will ask to board with for the first few weeks, after that I would like to return to Dunedin and see about renting a room. 

I've got an income protection insurance payout coming soon as I was insured for job loss, this will be just enough to cover my moving experiences and live off for a few months after. Since I left NZ when I was still a teen I have no bank account or IRD number. Are these something I can apply for online and get while still living in Australia? Because I would hate to arrive in New Zealand and only be able to access my funds through international ATM fees until a local bank account is made. 

My other question is my super. I have read that it's possible to transfer Australian super to Kiwisaver simply enough. After that, is there anyway of accessing it before pension age? Is it possible I can meet the early withdrawal criteria? Because from what I've researched I can't get support from WINZ, not right away at least, due to residing in Australia the last 10+ years. So I was considering using some of my Kiwisaver to support myself until I get back on my feet. Thanks for your time.
Hi Visor, sorry to hear about your troubles, covid has had a large impact on a lot of people.

You'll need a bank account first - looks like you can apply for these online

eg via Kiwibank details are here
https://www.kiwibank.co.nz/personal-bank...w-zealand/

and then this form is is to apply for an IRD number from overseas (need a bank account underway)
https://www.ird.govt.nz/-/media/project/...2-2018.pdf

It's a lot more daunting than it used to be mostly because of the anti money laundering checks

this should achieve what you need,
Hope it all goes well,
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Hi Visor, that doesn't sound much fun so hope things will go smoothly for you once back here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Check with the bank you are using now, they may be able to short circuit the system here if they have branches in New Zealand. As for Winz, you are a New Zealander and are therefore entitled to assistance in emergency circumstances. You just have to be in those circumstances first.

Be aware though that our public mental health services are abysmal due to demand pressure, so you may have to strengthen your personal resources to deal with that.
Might be worth a read here as well - apparently changes are afoot for Kiwis living in NZ
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/04/18/pm-ey...australia/

If anything comes of this anytime soon it might negate the need...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup