Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spacex starship launch tonight
Spacex are planning to test their starship rocket. Livestream starts just after midnight. 
Will be a historic moment, is the largest rocket to fly since the Saturn V in the apollo days if it's successful.
Go to spacex.com to get the latest updates and livestream.
Everyday astronaut will be covering it on YouTube also
that was a bit of a disappointing outcome - any idea when the next launch date is?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I think calling it a starship is a bit optimistic, myself.
(18-04-2023, 08:43 AM)king1 Wrote: that was a bit of a disappointing outcome - any idea when the next launch date is?

I think they have another launch window within the next 24-48 hours.
Was a shame  but its kind of half expected.
Details here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65294084
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
'Rapid unscheduled disassembly'...

Someone has a sense of humour.  Big Grin
(21-04-2023, 05:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: 'Rapid unscheduled disassembly'...

lol, it did well for the first four minutes though 

RNZ's news coverage claimed that the launch was regarded as a success with over 3 minutes of valuable flight data gained and also the vessel was loaded with explosives along its full length that can be activated in the case of a major malfunction in a 'self destruct' way as I guess lots of small bits falling back to Earth are safer than the entire rocket propelling itself if out of control in whatever direction it's pointing.
I was super impressed watching the launch the other day.
Given that the thing suffered damage at launch and made it so high says alot.
There was no issue with the design at all, but the launchpad is a different story. Debris likely was thrown up and damaged the motors.
I was half expecting this, they had suffered minor damage on that launch pad when performing test fires of the engines prior.

As the engines occasionally melt themselves in answer to "What if we try just a bit more power? Or "This might just work"; the rather elegant TLA is "ERE", obviously for Engine Rich Exhaust. Sounds good, but a bit spendy for home handy-persons.
Tongue

(25-04-2023, 09:20 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I was super impressed watching the launch the other day.
There was no issue with the design at all, but the launchpad is a different story. Debris likely was thrown up and damaged the motors.
I was half expecting this, they had suffered minor damage on that launch pad when performing test fires of the engines prior.

That's one of the perils of CAD. (Concrete Activated Disconnect)
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(25-04-2023, 10:34 PM)R2x1 Wrote:

As the engines occasionally melt themselves in answer to "What if we try just a bit more power? Or "This might just work"; the rather elegant TLA is "ERE", obviously for Engine Rich Exhaust. Sounds good, but a bit spendy for home handy-persons.
Tongue

(25-04-2023, 09:20 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I was super impressed watching the launch the other day.

That's one of the perils of CAD. (Concrete Activated Disconnect)
Wink

I guess something similar happened to the Japanese adventure, albeit at the other end of the journey - 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/25...KKS5qeyTRo
When you think about it, the 1969 manned landings were a huge achievement. A computer that would be thought laughable these days controlling the landings, all 6 of them. Marvellous!!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I saw a photo of the stacked piles of paper calculations involved once. Done by the ladies who could do the big sums that completely escaped me at school. I was deeply impressed.
(26-04-2023, 01:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I saw a photo of the stacked piles of paper calculations involved once. Done by the ladies who could do the big sums that completely escaped me at school. I was deeply impressed.

That was a great movie 

Hidden Figures

(21-04-2023, 08:55 AM)king1 Wrote:

lol, it did well for the first four minutes though 

I do wonder if SpaceX have gone down the wrong path regarding the engines?  Unlike the Saturn V which only had 5 main engines and worked flawlessly for every 1 of its launches, SpaceX appear to have gone down the Soviet N1 path using multiple smaller rockets which was a disaster.

Time will tell I guess - they are already behind the Saturn V but catching up to the Soviets!
(09-05-2023, 08:45 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-04-2023, 08:55 AM)king1 Wrote: lol, it did well for the first four minutes though 

I do wonder if SpaceX have gone down the wrong path regarding the engines?  Unlike the Saturn V which only had 5 main engines and worked flawlessly for every 1 of its launches, SpaceX appear to have gone down the Soviet N1 path using multiple smaller rockets which was a disaster.

Time will tell I guess - they are already behind the Saturn V but catching up to the Soviets!
If Musk was a follower rather than a venturer the world would still be happily driving ICE vehicles. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
(09-05-2023, 09:20 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 08:45 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I do wonder if SpaceX have gone down the wrong path regarding the engines?  Unlike the Saturn V which only had 5 main engines and worked flawlessly for every 1 of its launches, SpaceX appear to have gone down the Soviet N1 path using multiple smaller rockets which was a disaster.

If Musk was a follower rather than a venturer the world would still be happily driving ICE vehicles. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The reason the Saturn V went with fewer more powerful engines was because they were less likely to fail which ultimately was proven correct.  Artemis is in essence a Saturn V with 2 SLRBs strapped to the side.   Just commenting that if you compare the base of Starship with the N1 the similarities are striking.   Also onother similarly between the 2 designs - both go boom very well
(11-05-2023, 10:37 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 09:20 PM)harm_less Wrote: If Musk was a follower rather than a venturer the world would still be happily driving ICE vehicles. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The reason the Saturn V went with fewer more powerful engines was because they were less likely to fail which ultimately was proven correct.  Artemis is in essence a Saturn V with 2 SLRBs strapped to the side.   Just commenting that if you compare the base of Starship with the N1 the similarities are striking.   Also onother similarly between the 2 designs - both go boom very well

They also didnt have the technology to sync that many engines at once, the soviets proved it was futile, however SpaceX have done it with the falcon heavy which has 27 engines which is not much less, so shows that it can be done. From what I can make of it all, most of the issues are a result of damage from debris from the pad. I expect the next launch should go much better to plan if they can demonstrate their new water cooled pad will work.
when's the next launch?