Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aurora Australis
Anyone else capture some shots last night?
I got some reasonable ones from the Kaimai range which is quite far north to typically see them.
There is a chance of more tonight, but our solar maximum could bring us more over the coming months.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't think tonight will be anywhere near last night's displays. I've been watching this forecasting site for the last month or two and last night's Kp numbers were around 6.0 which is way higher than anything I'd seen, and back to <1 again tonight. Inbound Bz averages were in the mid-high negative teens too so perfect conditions.

We took a drive up to North Egmont Visitors' Centre last night but a bit too late at 9-10:00 and the view of the southern horizon is compromised by trees so all up nothing seen. I've seen photos taken north of Stratford with good red/purple tones but nothing as dramatic as the ones from down south.

I spent a very cold night waiting for aurora borealis activity in early winter in Nova Scotia back in 2004 but missed out then too. Friends of my partner there asked if we'd seen the display the previous night, after the event. We left Canada a couple of weeks later so didn't get another chance to see any.
(25-04-2023, 10:03 PM)harm_less Wrote: I don't think tonight will be anywhere near last night's displays. I've been watching this forecasting site for the last month or two and last night's Kp numbers were around 6.0 which is way higher than anything I'd seen, and back to <1 again tonight. Inbound Bz averages were in the mid-high negative teens too so perfect conditions.

We took a drive up to North Egmont Visitors' Centre last night but a bit too late at 9-10:00 and the view of the southern horizon is compromised by trees so all up nothing seen. I've seen photos taken north of Stratford with good red/purple tones but nothing as dramatic as the ones from down south.

I spent a very cold night waiting for aurora borealis activity in early winter in Nova Scotia back in 2004 but missed out then too. Friends of my partner there asked if we'd seen the display the previous night, after the event. We left Canada a couple of weeks later so didn't get another chance to see any.

No, your right, it wasnt much last night, but apparently another burst is due to arrive tomorrow possibly and Friday may have a good show too.
Some people are saying it was visible to the naked eye in the south island, but I think it depends on how dark your area is and have no light pollution.
I could see a hint of something, but wouldnt know unless you were looking out for it. The camera to my surprise really popped out with some shots.