Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Book fair Organisers have lost the trust of the public it seems. Bookarama chch
The organisers of the book fair / Bookarama Bishopdale and they are in the dog house with the donators and attendant’s of the fair for letting book dealers shop up large before the event even started meaning the people the next day did not get to see all that had been donated.

It won't let me post links but one person said that that  they donated over 800 books and DVD's and is very angry because   they thought the donations were going to help members of the community  access goods at a small price, spreading joy and the love of a good book rummage. 

Many many similar posts like that one.

Did anyone go to it?

I did not go this year, but last year I remember standing in a huge line (and I mean the line was so long it crossed the whole park) on day 1 of the fair and seeing two elderly ladies a few rows ahead of me who were over 80 years old shivering in the rain. And I thought something was up once inside, the place seemed really a mess, usually it's all tidy and neat when you arrive.

After reading what people were adding on the thread, all I can think is would people wait in the rain if they knew they weren’t the first group to see the donations on day one? Gee, If I had known, I would have waited for the rain to clear for sure Wink
It rained so so much on the days of this year’s Bookarama too, so there were a lot of people being little Trojans to attend this fair.

What do you guys think? Has anyone donated books?
Not to book fairs but I have given up shopping at second hand bookshops. I took a handful of perfectly good hardbacks to my local to sell a few years back and was offered a dollar each or a twenty credit... So took the cash then had a wander round the shelves only to discover the prices were so close to retail it was a toss up between their stock or new. So I decided if I wanted a book I would shop new (and probably from Book Depository at that) in protest, and haven't bought a book since.

It used to be book addicts like me could winnow the shelves and get a decent payback but not any more it seems. These days when I do it I drop my offerings off to the local free library in the retired bus stop two streets over. That way I hope locals get a chance to grab them before the profiteering pirate from the village gets his greedy hands on them.

I suppose, thinking about it, I could list them on TradeMe. I have done that years ago too...
(29-04-2023, 09:02 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Not to book fairs but I have given up shopping at second hand bookshops. I took a handful of perfectly good hardbacks to my local to sell a few years back and was offered a dollar each or a twenty credit... So took the cash then had a wander round the shelves only to discover the prices were so close to retail it was a toss up between their stock or new. So I decided if I wanted a book I would shop new (and probably from Book Depository at that) in protest, and haven't bought a book since.

It used to be book addicts like me could winnow the shelves and get a decent payback but not any more it seems. These days when I do it I drop my offerings off to the local free library in the retired bus stop two streets over. That way I hope locals get a chance to grab them before the profiteering pirate from the village gets his greedy hands on them.

I suppose, thinking about it, I could list them on TradeMe. I have done that years ago too...

Thank you for writing Smile I love the retired Bus stop Library, that is such a sweet idea Smile

I remember a site called sella, it was so good to find books on. Shame it closed as it couldn't compete with trademe

The markup's have definitely gotten higher, I saw a plastic shelf unit in a second hand store. I owned the same one so I knew how much it was....They had the price $10 less than retail and it was covered in dust and scratches
Like back in the day of Garage Sales...certain people would swoop in crack of dawn - and next week those items would be on sale at their stall in the market, at several times the price at the garage sale. Some people just love to make money.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(29-04-2023, 07:50 AM)Reydar Wrote: [size=1]Hello, I saw people talking about that the organisers of the book fair / Bookarama Bishopdale are in the dog house with the donators and attendant’s of the fair for letting book dealers shop up before the event started. And there was photo proof?[/size]

It won't let me post links but one person said that that  they donated over 800 books and DVD's and is very angry because    they thought the donations were going to help members of the community  access goods at a small price, spreading joy and the love of a good book rummage. 

Many many similar posts like that one.
Did anyone go to it?

[size=1]I did not go this year, but last year I remember standing in a huge line (and I mean the line was so long it crossed the whole park) on day 1 of the fair and seeing two elderly ladies a few rows ahead of me who were over 80 years old shivering in the rain. After reading that Reddit, all I can think is would people wait in the rain if they knew they weren’t the first group to see the donations on day one? Gee, If I had known, I would have waited for the rain to clear for sure ?
It rained so so much on the days of this year’s Bookarama too, so there were a lot of people being little Trojans to attend this fair.
What do you guys think? Has anyone donated books?
[/size]
  • This topic was modified 28 minutes ago by 

That can happen sometimes if you copy and paste text from other websites.

If you go back in and edit it using the 'Full Edit' mode you can use the font size button on the editor to adjust it after selecting all the text.

Alternatively, I usually just use the "paste as plain text" option instead of a standard 'paste' -  most browsers have on the right click menu, strips out all formatting...

you can have a go at editing it out yourself or one of the admin/mods will sort it out in due course for you...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
and totally agree with the point your making, absolutely rude to allow the dealers special early access to a book fair of donated items. I wonder who was organising it?

I saw someone recommend a cute way to giveaway a book. That you go find a cute place to leave in it your town. Picnic table, a park, at the foot of a statue anywhere you think it will be picked up. You can leave a little note on it "I loved reading this, I hope you do too" Smile If you type in "Emma Watson book" into YouTube it's on the Vanity Fair channel. You can see her doing this. I thought it was an adorable way to giveaway a book, DVD or CD. It would be cool to be walking and stumble across something like this. It could really make someone's day Smile

(29-04-2023, 09:51 AM)king1 Wrote: and totally agree with the point your making, absolutely rude to allow the dealers special early access to a book fair of donated items.  I wonder who was organising it?

How strict is this board? Because I could tell you who it was but worried I would break a rule about naming people. Type in Bookarama Bishopdale and your answer is there and it's pretty low they would do this yes
I think back to the elderly ladies waiting in line. The organisers forget how much of an effort people make to attend. Getting ready in the morning travel and such. When I was there last year it was pretty ravaged already.

I hope this doesn't sound creepy but I like to sit and person watch sometimes haha...over the years going to book fairs, I noticed those war books were so popular and people would run to them, I liked watching how enthusiastic they were flicking through the pages. When I went last year, There were hardly any war books on the table, there were so few they were displayed flat not lined up with their spines up. I saw the people run to the table and they looked confused and disappointed. That was the moment I thought something was up, and the mess....It felt like someone had been in there....and it turns out..they had!

I was wondering if anyone went this year and what it was like? People aren't stupid, I'm sure they noticed it seemingly picked. I saw someone say sci fi books were pretty much gone on day one
Bus stops are good places to leave books if you are into Book Crossing. They are under shelter, and usually stay dry and safe from wind. That is how our local started, when the bus route changed locals campaigned to keep the stop and now it has a new life for the neighbourhood, and has its own set of caretakers who look after it without being asked. It was a huge blessing during lockdowns...

Or, an old commercial fridge makes a good version...

https://www.neighbourly.co.nz/public/auc...e/64741750
(29-04-2023, 10:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Bus stops are good places to leave books if you are into Book Crossing. They are under shelter, and usually stay dry and safe from wind. That is how our local started, when the bus route changed locals campaigned to keep the stop and now it has a new life for the neighbourhood, and has its own set of caretakers who look after it without being asked. It was a huge blessing during lockdowns...

Or, an old commercial fridge makes a good version...
That neighbourhood rocks for campaigning like that and what joy it gave during lockdown Smile

I think this is why people are so angry, they hoped their books and other donated items were going to give joy in their community.

The book fridge is gorgeous, I love the quote down the side thank you so much for showing me. This is real good in the hood stuff ^_^
That's miserable of the dealers & not the spirit in which the book fair was intended.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I can understand it - so long as those dealers paid a premium for the privilege. This is all about making money after all...
(29-04-2023, 11:27 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: That's miserable of the dealers  & not the spirit in which the book fair was intended.

It possibly hurt people so much with everything Christchurch has had happen over the years. There was a time having a book fair could be nothing other than a fever dream as roads and buildings were so damaged. The book fair could be a way to raise people up and give happiness
(29-04-2023, 09:58 AM)Reydar Wrote: I saw someone recommend a cute way to giveaway a book. That you go find a cute place to leave in it your town. Picnic table, a park, at the foot of a statue anywhere you think it will be picked up. You can leave a little note on it "I loved reading this, I hope you do too" Smile If you type in "Emma Watson book" into YouTube it's on the Vanity Fair channel. You can see her doing this. I thought it was an adorable way to giveaway a book, DVD or CD. It would be cool to be walking and stumble across something like this. It could really make someone's day Smile

(29-04-2023, 09:51 AM)king1 Wrote: and totally agree with the point your making, absolutely rude to allow the dealers special early access to a book fair of donated items.  I wonder who was organising it?

How strict is this board? Because I could tell you who it was but worried I would break a rule about naming people. Type in Bookarama Bishopdale and your answer is there and it's pretty low they would do this yes

Not that strict - Rotary Club of Bishopdale, they should probably know better...  I would hazard a guess one of the members owns a bookstore

(29-04-2023, 12:34 PM)king1 Wrote:
(29-04-2023, 09:58 AM)Reydar Wrote: I saw someone recommend a cute way to giveaway a book. That you go find a cute place to leave in it your town. Picnic table, a park, at the foot of a statue anywhere you think it will be picked up. You can leave a little note on it "I loved reading this, I hope you do too" Smile If you type in "Emma Watson book" into YouTube it's on the Vanity Fair channel. You can see her doing this. I thought it was an adorable way to giveaway a book, DVD or CD. It would be cool to be walking and stumble across something like this. It could really make someone's day Smile

Not that strict - Rotary Club of Bishopdale, they should probably know better...  I would hazard a guess one of the members owns a bookstore

I love your response *hands trophy to you* Wink

Yes, that is a worry that is the real reason for V.I.P. night

I saw someone post their values and ethos on the thread
I found out about this on.

"Rotary’s Four Way Test to all our activities, measuring everything Rotarians do by the standards of truthfulness, fairness, goodwill and benefit to all."

Everyone thought Rotary was also helping people on the day....The community were right there in the hall with them, the people who went and donated deserve to be treated well too not just about the dollars in the till at the end of the day.

It's so confusing, They have a fundraiser for the community they love but then they thought it was ok for the community to miss out on seeing hundreds of books and other items that could have made many people happy? Even if they made $200 more from a dealer that is simply mean and incredibly unfair. 

Even if dealers pay $10 each to gain entry this could backfire. The public who attend may feel it wasn't a good experience and leave early, may not return on other years. Example, I didn't think it was very good last year so didn't bother this year.

The donators are fuming and do not want to donate again. Even if they made more by giving special treatment this time, their actions may effect next year. Mistreat people and all Rotary will have left are the dealers to donate and buy. Greed gets no one anywhere. Play fair,

I saw a great comment on a thread "What's the difference 200 books in the hands of a dealer or 100 people buying 2 books each?" Still the same for their till 

I literally thought so did many others that one of the purposes of running the fair was to help those struggling, who couldn't afford to buy brand new and that Rotary put this fair on as part of their "for the community" projects. It ran for 3 days too, Lots of time to get in there  

It seems so unfair, and no one knew this was a thing. Hiding the truth is as bad as lying. They should have said dealer night  was the day before on the poster...Goodwill! Where is it? Benefit to all? By giving scraps of the donations to the people? 

Last year, It was really bad with covid at the time, We literally risked catching it being in that crammed hall with so many people and a lot of people were elderly and could have gotten very ill if they contracted it. Just seems so off, I can't support them anymore after this. It's like they didn't care about the real people in the hall that day to have a good fair go at all and only care about the people or orgs who will receive the funds afterwards. I am truly confused

You know that scene from Beauty and Beast where Beast shows Belle the library full of books and the wonder on her face? That's what it's like seeing all the thousands of books in one place at a fair

Except imagine that scene again with empty shelves cause the dealer's got there first Wink
Rotary lol say no more.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(29-04-2023, 01:46 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Rotary lol say no more.

Haha, Do you have more Intel?

I don't know how I perceived them prior honestly...never see them except at book fairs....I thought they were helping less fortunate buy affordable books on the day. I thought this was the time "to feel the help from Rotary"

They were rude to my Mum last year, She needed to go to the toilet and one of them physically blocked the door and yelled for more Rotarians to help...that was pretty weird and she was embarrassed the whole hall looked too haha she had to go to the library instead.

Also she told one of them a disc from a DVD was missing. Mum was worried someone might buy it by accident without checking so she handed the box over to a Rotarian who then scoffed and insinuated Mum had stolen it. Gee, They were uptight that day, not friendly at all. Didn't bother going again to be treated like that and to look at scraps

At other books fairs...you need the loo you go to the loo and no one burns the house down haha

This is terrible but after the way they treated my Mum...When I saw dozens of people angry at Rotary Bishopdale I thought "YES, sick em" haha
@Reydar - you should be able to post your links now - we have a minimum number of posts before you can add links because of a bunch of stupid spammers

(29-04-2023, 04:43 PM)king1 Wrote: @Reydar - you should be able to post your links now - we have a minimum number of posts before you  can add links because of a bunch of stupid spammers

Yay, ok I understand...I have proven myself Wink

Okie, Here's where I saw it all going down...Check for the photos 

You will see how mad people are phew, pitchforks are out

It was happening on their FB too but I think they limited the comments because I can't see most of them anymore. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/chch/comments/1...action_bar
While I sympathise with the obvious unfairness of letting dealers get in first, I think dealers aren't the ones that deserve the kicking. They are just doing what they need to do for their businesses. The fact they got first dibs is the issue, that is a kind of corruption of the act of gifting that underlies the concept of the fair. I suspect though it stems from the same practice that is applied to antique fairs and art fairs - the industry supports its own.

Dealers though sift through every second hand opportunity that exists. They are up at dawn doing the garage sales, in every op shop on a daily basis, educating themselves and doing the research which is part of being a professional. They are there to make money, just like the charity that puts in the volunteer hours to provide the resources for them.

We have an importer here in Auckland who brings in container loads of second hand cast off wearables from an exotic source. I have watched people take armloads of these garments out the door at $5 each, and seen them show up on TM for ten and twenty times that price. Any manager of a charity shop will tell you the same thing, Crown Lynn gets scooped up by dealers with an eye, designer clothes end up in the rental businesses.

It's all part of the great circle of 'things', and the way things pass through many hands. Ours included sometimes.

So yes, Rotary made a mistake. With luck they won't do it again. But don't blame the dealers, and don't expect them to not do their damnedest to create and take advantage of opportunities to make money. That is in their nature, after all...