Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Luxon
For anyone interested this article by Andrea Vance is interesting, though he does seem to be someone whose views can be rather contradictory. Imo anyone keen to cut benefits to those who are already worse off than anyone else should never have even a shred of power over other people, so that's slightly worrying.

https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/politics/350...ping-faith

“We’ve had the ability to be in this beautiful country, we've had free education, a good healthcare system. We're the lucky ones … and if you’re given these gifts they don't really mean a lot unless you can take what you've been given and help improve the lives of other people.”
At its core, these are also true blue National values: a belief in equality of opportunity, or giving people the chance to succeed.

What has confused people, is that Luxon has occasionally strayed into more hardline territory, with a more punitive approach to poverty, welfare and social problems. Last year he accused beneficiaries of “bottom feeding.” He has advocated cutting off benefits and Working for Families support for people that refused to immunise their children, and blamed truancy on teachers.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The sooner this proto-nazi is disgraced the better, he represents a step back into the past, the last thing we need is this type of man in power and ruling the country.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(29-04-2023, 04:12 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The sooner this proto-nazi is disgraced the better, he represents a step back into the past, the last thing we need is this type of man in power and ruling the country.

I'm inclined to agree; given past experience here we should be wary of business people who become politicians because while they may well be excellent at business that doesn't equate to all those skills needed to run a country well, & for the benefit of us all.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)