Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Coronation
Do you care?
Not much, but I will record the tv coverage and no doubt watch most of it. There will be some top quality choral singing, and the arcane clothing and accessories are always interesting.

The Rev Richard Coles sent a tweet out on 1 April saying that he had been appointed as the official warmer of the ceremonial spoon, a solemn responsibility to carry the spoon in a special pocket next to his heart to keep it warm and protect the monarch from thermal shock when being anointed. A lot of his followers took it seriously.
Charlie would have liked that! He was a Goon Show fan so is probably like a lot of people from that era. including me. A twisted sense of the ridiculous, Neddy!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
"He's fallen in the water!"

If only....
(01-05-2023, 02:24 PM)Kenj Wrote: Charlie would have liked that! He was a Goon Show fan so is probably like a lot of people from that era. including me. A twisted sense of the ridiculous, Neddy!

Nah, not really that interested but I do feel sorry for them having to go through it & am glad he's managed to scale it all down a bit.

Oh - the ceremonial spoon sounds wonderful!  ' I have a cunning plan, my lord'... Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

Please let it be so... Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I rather liked the one that went 'This gender equality thing has gone too far! My god, now they want to make a man The Queen for fuck's sake!'
(01-05-2023, 05:42 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I rather liked the one that went 'This gender equality thing has gone too far! My god, now they want to make a man The Queen for fuck's sake!'

Yes, it does have a certain ring to it.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I dont care much for all the pomp and everything but looks like its being scaled down this time round, but the history still fascinates me alot, will definitely be watching it, not something that many generations have witnessed before.
When I went back to England with my parents as a child in 1953 Elizabeth II Coronation had just taken place and all around were reminders of the event, I was allowed to play with a toy that was a copy of the Coronation Carriage, also saw television for the first time, black and white of course, saw The Lone Ranger, Robin Hood and other programs I can't bring to mind at the moment.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(02-05-2023, 01:14 PM)zqwerty Wrote: When I went back to England with my parents as a child in 1953 Elizabeth II Coronation had just taken place and all around were reminders of the event, I was allowed to play with a toy that was a copy of the Coronation Carriage, also saw television for the first time, black and white of course, saw The Lone Ranger, Robin Hood and other programs I can't bring to mind at the moment.

First time I saw Coronation St was in Edinburgh in the early 60s, in black and white. 

Gosh, we are so old...  Big Grin
Old, old, old.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(02-05-2023, 02:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 01:14 PM)zqwerty Wrote: When I went back to England with my parents as a child in 1953 Elizabeth II Coronation had just taken place and all around were reminders of the event, I was allowed to play with a toy that was a copy of the Coronation Carriage, also saw television for the first time, black and white of course, saw The Lone Ranger, Robin Hood and other programs I can't bring to mind at the moment.

First time I saw Coronation St was in Edinburgh in the early 60s, in black and white. 

Is Ena Sharples still in it?
(02-05-2023, 02:44 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: First time I saw Coronation St was in Edinburgh in the early 60s, in black and white. 

I have no idea. I stopped watching when it got all ghey...
(02-05-2023, 02:44 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: First time I saw Coronation St was in Edinburgh in the early 60s, in black and white. 

If only.  Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

Now that would be extremely interesting, dropping Ena Sharples & Minnie Caldwell & Martha Longhurst into today's Coro st...definitely put the cat amongst the pigeons that would, & might even  become interesting enough to watch again.

Meanwhile, I'm stunned that I could recall their names! Big Grin
My better half has been watching it forever, since it started here in NZ. I have better things to do, even if it is sitting in my chair twiddling my thumbs. Much more of interest.
Albert Tatlock was always a fave...

And Minnie.
Oh heck, you said once that you liked older men. Don't you think that Albert Tatlock is a step to far?
(02-05-2023, 04:13 PM)Kenj Wrote: Oh heck, you said once that you liked older men. Don't you think that Albert Tatlock is a step to far?

Oh I dunno - he's only been dead a few decades.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(02-05-2023, 04:13 PM)Kenj Wrote: Oh heck, you said once that you liked older men. Don't you think that Albert Tatlock is a step to far?

I do like a mature gentleman. But you could be right. Besides, I suspect he might be rather like my late step father in law. Him with the socks with sandals, and the corner knotted hankie on his bald head. I try not to remember that strange little short arse pushing my little Masport across the back lawn three times a week. In mid summer. That poor lawn...

No sense of humour either.

The best part of a man, that. Besides his bum that is...  Rolleyes Shy Big Grin

(02-05-2023, 07:26 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Oh I dunno - he's only been dead a few decades.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

Aint THAT desperate though, lol...  Tongue
With climate change, he's probably still warm