Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transgender community demanding funding for their drugs
(05-05-2023, 02:22 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 10:34 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Perhaps I am a bigot. But I'm just getting tired of the direction things are going. 
It's being promoted as a "choice" to kids in schools these days.
I know personally some transgender people, both left it until well into their 20s before they decided surgery was the right choice.    None of this BS about putting kids on puberty blockers, etc.

Growing minds can't make an informed decision easily and many later regret it later in life.
Abnormal hormone levels is not always a factor for everyone who is transgender and  same goes for many cisgender people who have way out hormones and grow boobs or hair where they shouldn't, etc.

The people i know after transitioning still had to learn how to adjust to every day things that their new gender had to experience, for example urinals in a men's toilet was something of a shock to see.

Also one of them was told by family that the way she(now he) was interacting with their young children was inappropriate for a man.     
These are things that should come naturally if they are born as a different gender than their body.

It's not something you should have to learn how to do if you truly are that gender.

I had no choice when I was a youngster. I was a girl, so I was responsible for helping my sister, being nice and polite, having good manners, not getting dirty, knowing how to cook and clean, looking forward to marrying a nice boy with a good job and having babies whom I would raise to be perfect human beings. I could not argue the point, swear, wear tarty clothes, or train for any kind of work that wasn't a proper job, like nursing or teaching, or being a secretary. I had to have a male sign hire purchase or rental contracts for me, couldn't earn the same income as a man, couldn't do lots of things as a single, certainly not have a child...

So I'm glad choice is offered to children. More choice that is. Especially round body autonomy and identity. Because I know, and so do many of us if we think about it, what it is like to be hammered into the wrong sized role because of stuff we cannot change. To be not picked for the team because we are fat, or skinny, or short, or too tall. Or redheaded, or brown, or myopic, or have a stutter or a limp or silver hair or no partner. Or fancy our own sex.

Being human, and growing up to be who we want to be is always difficult. Never ever easy. But if accepting diversity exists makes it just a bit more comfortable then I'm all for it.

And I understand the way some have gone totally overboard on this, for whatever reason - like greenwashing to fake concern for environmental matters. Every tv drama now has to have several genders rolling around together in the romance part of the plot, idiots determined to be famous are riding the bandwagon and stirring up the masses, grandstanders with axes to grind are taking on anyone they can to get a settlement, or score points. In sports - well, we all see what is happening with sports and the failures who think they should get a free run at the podium. 

The spotlight is on the very few with the mainstream more interested in just getting on with it. But then, there have always been the divas... I'm still glad it is easier these days to be different. To be a little bit nuts. And to have babies, or not, wear spangles or not, get tattooed or not - without all that shaming and gossip. I think that is a good thing. 

I just wish it had happened back in the days when I wanted to go to art school rather than get a proper job...

Imagine if we listened to the nay sayers; nothing would ever change & women would still have limited options, girls would be brought up as our generation was & things were limited for boys too though differently.

I prefer it now, its slightly easier with more diversity for those who aren't seen as fitting into the role which they may have had to previously. And now at least no one is likely to be sacked simply because they're gay.

But this is what humans do; we constantly try in various way to improve our world & make it slightly better for ourselves & our children & theirs. Sometimes we get it wrong & hare off in the wrong direction with the best of intentions only to eventually realise ( sometimes far too slowly) & try to fix whatever mess we've made this time. Slowly ,we learn to become more accepting & have more understanding of others & ourselves.

And  when we look back at various times in the past, we're not doing so very badly really. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Thank goodness that by the time I got to fifty, going to art school was no longer such a terrible idea. And way more fun than it might have been at 18...

But then, a lot of things are.
(05-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Thank goodness that by the time I got to fifty, going to art school was no longer such a terrible idea. And way more fun than it might have been at 18...

But then, a lot of things are.

True, that. Gives a completely different perspective, & its probably good for those younger students too, to see that simply because someone is an older  generation doesn't mean that they're all that different in some ways. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yes. And beating their marks was so deeeply satisfying...

I shouldn't have enjoyed that so much. But I did...
(06-05-2023, 04:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Yes. And beating their marks was so deeeply satisfying...

I shouldn't have enjoyed that so much. But I did...

I did have one moment when our final exhibition was shown & unbelievably, I was the only person to sell their work. 

I was sure it was a mistake, &  the potential buyer must mean one of the other exhibits but no -  somehow, the person wanting it  saw what I'd intended with it despite it looking nowhere near as polished & professional as the other work on display (deliberately) & that was what he wanted. That & he appreciated the sardonic humour of the quote I'd used as a basis for the piece.

Although I was too stunned at the time to enjoy it too much, I did later. Big Grin