Poll: Is it time for NZ to ditch the Monarchy
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep, they're past their use by date!
30.77%
4 30.77%
I'm really not sure...
23.08%
3 23.08%
No, they still serve a purpose for me and/or NZ
46.15%
6 46.15%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it time to ditch the monarchy and NZ to become a republic.
Snap poll given the hype around the Kings upcoming coronation
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Nope, I'm not a royalist but think the fact of being part of the Commonwealth is a good feeling for me. Yes, I know we could be a republic and still in the loop but it is not a solid commitment.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
KenjNope, I'm not a royalist but think the fact of being part of the Commonwealth is a good feeling for me. Yes, I know we could be a republic and still in the loop but it is not a solid commitment.  

Well that's just it! Even countries that broke away such as India are still part of the commonwealth, I'm not sure exactly how that works, but they held the games over there not that long ago.
Commonwealth yes. Charles? No.
Oh_hunnihunniCommonwealth yes. Charles? No.

I was hoping that it would go straight to William.

I dont know what to think about Charles involvement in the world economic forum too.
He has been involved in several causes, but he is supposed to stand clear of them now he is king.
I reckon anything that ensures the English can never again dump their Lucas and Smiths garbage on our shores is a step forward.

Is it Regicide if he is tripped, falls and snuffs it before the weird hat gets fitted, or just tidying up loose ends?

What would Ena Sharples think?

Rolleyes
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(03-05-2023, 08:28 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Oh_hunnihunniCommonwealth yes. Charles? No.

I was hoping that it would go straight to William.

I dont know what to think about Charles involvement in the world economic forum too.
He has been involved in several causes, but he is supposed to stand clear of them now he is king.

I dunno ct. William is a bit too good to be true if you believe the gossip according to his PR team, I suspect he's been whitewashed. No big brother is ever that good.

You know what would be fun, if the ones in line were magically spirited off stage left and the Crown had to go to Harry and herself.

Just imagine the furore...  Big Grin
I'm convinced that Charlie is much misunderstood; maligned by the press back in the day aa an eccentric who 'talks to trees' he nonetheless went ahead & made a success of Highgrove despite dire predictions.

Besides, I happen to know that talking to tree works a treat. There's a plum tree out the back which some years ago had failed to produce anything despite being mature enough, so one winter I informed it that if it still had not even one blossom come spring, then it would definitely be firewood by the winter.

Come the spring & it was covered in blossoms & has produced fruit every year since... Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Don't get me wrong, I support Charles in a lot of the things he does and says. But he lacks that single minded focus that his Mother had, and that I think is a real prerequisite for the job. So while I think he made a great Prince of Wales, he's Not My King.

In fact, it might well be a real pity he has the new job because it will very much get in the way of his continuing to be a real force for good in a lot of areas.

Like that brilliant Village he was the force behind at Poundbury. We so need more of those...
(04-05-2023, 12:44 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm convinced that Charlie is much misunderstood; maligned by the press back in the day aa an eccentric who 'talks to trees' he nonetheless went ahead & made a success of Highgrove despite dire predictions.

Besides, I happen to know that talking to tree works a treat. There's a plum tree out the back which some years ago had failed to produce anything despite being mature enough, so one winter I informed it that if it still had not even one blossom come spring, then  it would definitely be firewood by the winter.

Come the spring & it was covered in blossoms & has produced fruit every year since... Smile

Oh, are you supposed to wait to give it a chance? I never knew that. I had one at our old house that I gave a real earbashing about it's lack of production. Really tore a strip off it.

Went back later in the day and it still hadn't started so I got the chainsaw out and cut the bastard down! 

That taught it a lesson!

Just saw on TV1 Midday news some people in the crowd demonstrating against Royalty.

They were calling out "Not my King"

Off with their heads Charlie! Show 'em who's the boss!
(04-05-2023, 12:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I support Charles in a lot of the things he does and says. But he lacks that single minded focus that his Mother had, and that I think is a real prerequisite for the job. So while I think he made a great Prince of Wales, he's Not My King.

In fact, it might well be a real pity he has the new job because it will very much get in the way of his continuing to be a real force for good in a lot of areas.

Like that brilliant Village he was the force behind at Poundbury. We so need more of those...

I think Lizzie though was one of a kind - the woman couldn't be faulted for her strong sense of duty & I'm not sure they make them like that any more.

Yep, definitely agree re Poundbury; there are so many really ugly buildings around now - & every last one seems to be painted grey or beige!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The whole thing is largely symbolic these days isint it?
I dont know if it would make much difference to NZ if we left, we seem rather independent as it is.
I think the time will come eventually when NZ will decide on its own terms whether or not its time to become a republic.
I don't think it is symbolic, it is an industry in itself. The media would be hard pressed to find another rich source to replace it, though politics might suffice.

Since Diana (and maybe before her) though I get the impression that the institution involves huge cruelties, not so much from the royals themselves but from those set about them to protect and manage the institution. For me it is a kind of power corrupting sickness and I wonder if it is actually possible to have a system like the British Monarchy that doesn't bring that negativity with it. Too many people have too much to lose, and it means some have to be sacrificed under its wheels.

Nope, I'd happily see it gone. What though would we replace it with?
(05-05-2023, 09:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't think it is symbolic, it is an industry in itself. The media would be hard pressed to find another rich source to replace it, though politics might suffice.

Since Diana (and maybe before her) though I get the impression that the institution involves huge cruelties, not so much from the royals themselves but from those set about them to protect and manage the institution. For me it is a kind of power corrupting sickness and I wonder if it is actually possible to have a system like the British Monarchy that doesn't bring that negativity with it. Too many people have too much to lose, and it means some have to be sacrificed under its wheels.

Given human nature, that's the question. 

It might start out well, with the best possible intentions & eventually become something else over decades or centuries - we do seem to have a habit of buggering things up, sooner or later.
(05-05-2023, 09:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't think it is symbolic, it is an industry in itself. The media would be hard pressed to find another rich source to replace it, though politics might suffice.

Putin? Xi?
(05-05-2023, 11:37 AM)Kenj Wrote:

Putin? Xi?
Muldoon? David Seymour? Big Grin
(05-05-2023, 02:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 11:37 AM)Kenj Wrote: Putin? Xi?

Nooo!! That is the stuff of nightmares! Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

Muldoon is dead - but  even ten years dead I wouldn't trust him, & David Seymour should not under any circumstances be trusted. With anything at all.
Putin, Xi, Trump, Luxton et al, all ill brought up scum.

This is why a monarchy is required to set an example and remind us of what we can be like with money and education but no money motivation.

Show us how to bring up our children and how to behave with graciousness.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
The last Shah of Iran, was the last King of Persia.  Haven't they done well getting rid of their Monarchy...not to mention Russia...

[Image: 02-11b.jpg]
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(05-05-2023, 02:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 11:37 AM)Kenj Wrote: Putin? Xi?

Similar!