Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Bespoke" shoes
Hawkesby and Hoskings again demonstrate their ignorance and gaucherie.  Bespoke does not mean what they think it means.   Or are they so disdainful of their followers that they don't care.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/05-05-202...oes-really
(05-05-2023, 07:33 PM)Olive Wrote: Hawkesby and Hoskings again demonstrate their ignorance and gaucherie.  Bespoke does not mean what they think it means.   Or are they so disdainful of their followers that they don't care.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/05-05-202...oes-really

It is moments like these I am glad to be over educated rather than rich.

Poor silly Michael H. How embarrassing for him.
Yes, I saw that on his website www.hoskingisaplonker.co.nz
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
This is too funny.
I'm not sure I get this, "bespoke" means "custom made" as these shoes mentioned surely are, just not for Mike, they would surely carry a hefty price tag so I don't see how he has been ripped off.

My mum used to say that Mike H always looks as if he's just come out of rehab.

Can someone explain what I have missed? Thanks.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(06-05-2023, 10:49 AM)zqwerty Wrote: I'm not sure I get this, "bespoke" means "custom made" as these shoes mentioned surely are, just not for Mike, they would surely carry a hefty price tag so I don't see how he has been ripped off.

My mum used to say that Mike H always looks as if he's just come out of rehab.

Can someone explain what I have missed?  Thanks.

Bespoke does mean custom made, for one buyer. As in never repeated for the masses who didn't commission the bespoke piece to be custom made. And never paid the premium charged for the unique service.

For example we have bespoke jewelers, and we have Michael Hill. But they are not the same. Smile
"Bespoke" means made to measure, i.e. made according to the exact measurements of the customer. According to his wife Hosking walked into a shop which makes shoes and bought something out of the window, not understanding the concept. And in any event the King will be wearing completely different shoes. Pathetic.
'There's one born every minute' seems apt Rolleyes
What a pretentious twit he is. And far more gullible than I'd thought as well.

Mind you, any damn fool who willingly forks out over $4,000 for a pair of shoes really richly deserves all they get.

Look out Charlie & Camilla - plonker alert!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
OOOOOkay, thanks.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I've seen no suggestion that he thinks his shoes are bespoke, they just came from a bespoke shoemaker; a subtle distinction that seems to have escaped most of you, despite your extensive educations and towering intellects.

Mike's over there, living his best life, having fun and spending his own money on things that bring him joy. Meanwhile you all are stuck back here in your envy and misery, having a whinge. Its pretty obvious who is having the better time.

Also, having now seen King Charles' shoes, they do look far more like "Mike's, except with a buckle" than the slippers that the Spinoff article so smuggly declared he'd be wearing.
(06-05-2023, 11:16 PM)dken31 Wrote: I've seen no suggestion that he thinks his shoes are bespoke, they just came from a bespoke shoemaker; a subtle distinction that seems to have escaped most of you, despite your extensive educations and towering intellects.

Mike's over there, living his best life, having fun and spending his own money on things that bring him joy. Meanwhile you all are stuck back here in your envy and misery, having a whinge. Its pretty obvious who is having the better time.

Also, having now seen King Charles' shoes, they do look far more like "Mike's, except with a buckle" than the slippers that the Spinoff article so smuggly declared he'd be wearing.

yeh yeh, not envious of him, Just having a laugh at him doing his usual thing that is..... being a plonker. Such a shame as he has such a keen mind but then spoils things by opening his mouth.

I certainly don't wish I was in his shoes  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(06-05-2023, 11:16 PM)dken31 Wrote: I've seen no suggestion that he thinks his shoes are bespoke, they just came from a bespoke shoemaker; a subtle distinction that seems to have escaped most of you, despite your extensive educations and towering intellects.

Lol,  good for you speaking up for your hero's choice to spend a month's average income on a pair of shoes for his clay feet. Though I take issue with the misery thing, I had great fun last night seeing in the Charlatan era with Queen Charlotte and the lovely mad King George. Almost as much tinsel and silliness showed up as appeared on the other channels, only the Queens were much better looking.

Tongue

The day I'd be envious of him has happily, yet to dawn. I think the man's an idiot.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-05-2023, 11:16 PM)dken31 Wrote: ...Meanwhile you all are stuck back here in your envy and misery, having a whinge. Its pretty obvious who is having the better time. ...

No, no, you don't get it. We are having a great time poking fun at him. The key word is "fun". He's a pompous fool.
(07-05-2023, 11:17 AM)Olive Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 11:16 PM)dken31 Wrote: ...Meanwhile you all are stuck back here in your envy and misery, having a whinge. Its pretty obvious who is having the better time. ...

No, no, you don't get it.  We are having a great time poking fun at him.  The key word is "fun".    He's a pompous fool.

Indeed - smug bastard, as I've sometimes called him since he appears to believe that having lots of money & expensive toys is being successful. Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
And to be fair, I did get an equally enjoyable giggle out of reading on Stuff about Duncan Garner living with his Mum. I think it is human to grin when the self congratulatory c list celebs prove to be as human as the rest of us.
I think Duncan's mum is the only woman who will have him Smile Smile
(07-05-2023, 01:12 PM)Kenj Wrote: I think Duncan's mum is the only woman who will have him Smile Smile

The higher his salary got the more friends jumped off his Christmas card list...