Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Display glitch on multiple monitors
Ive seen this happen on one site ive worked on where most workstations have 2 screens.
I thought it was a glitch in one of the apps they were using, or an issue with the display driver, but turns out 3 workstations all have the same symptoms.
Basically, there is a strip on the top of the window that overlaps with whatever is behind that window, you can think you are closing the app you have open but it actually will be clicking on the close button on the app behind it.
If no app is open, you will see the deskop instead, but the title bar will still be visible, but clicking on that strip will not affect the app open, but rather what is supposed to be there.
I will see if i can get a screenshot to share, but Im wondering if its a recent windows update to blame, but I cant seem to find anything about this issue with other people as far as im aware.
It only seems to affect the left hand screen, which in these cases is monitor 1, monitor number 2 seems OK from what I can tell.
new to me, but sounds like the sort of weird shit you might get from a dodgy update though. If it's only recent you could try a system restore on one of them...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Could be a Graph display problem ( but seems odd if its on multiple Computers) Haven't heard of this before ??

Try running in safe mode, its its OK in safe mode could try removing and reinstalling Graphic Drivers.

None of the Computers here that have two displays have that problem.

Just found this - May be worth a try ?  https://www.technipages.com/how-to-fix-g...me-screen/
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(06-05-2023, 03:42 PM)king1 Wrote: new to me, but sounds like the sort of weird shit you might get from a dodgy update though.  If it's only recent you could try a system restore on one of them...

Im going to give that a go next week, murphys law is there is never any restore points when you need them, or the system restore will fail, its really weird how they have all done this at the same time, quite co-incidental.

Here is a screenshot i was sent.
That blank white space will show the app behind it if there is something else open, and sometimes will show the desktop instead.    
that looks like something overlayed over top of it rather than a window into what is behind.

i'm imagining a crashed or stalled window of some kind (in the foreground) that is displaying the last thing it had on it when it was working, which might be the desktop. would be interesting to see if the desktop stuff you see in there is clickable or whether it is just a frozen image.

i'd keep a look out for errant programs in the task bar and task manager that might be running, maybe an oldschool browser toolbar, that would be in that approximate position
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Could also be what's called Ghost Windows There are some fixes in my earlier post, but one of the main causes is a process called "MiniSearchHost.exe" Disable it appears to fix, its a known problem.

Could be an update causing problems with some software that's installed on all the computers.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(07-05-2023, 10:22 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Could also be what's called  Ghost Windows  There are some fixes in my earlier post, but one of the main causes is a process called "MiniSearchHost.exe"  Disable it appears to fix, its a known problem.

Could be an update causing problems with  some software that's installed on all the computers.

I'm going to go through the process explorer when I'm back there. Pretty much all that is running is just MS office and MYOB, nothing else I particular that pops out to me.
I've seen that ghost window issue in win11 with MiniSearchHost.exe before, that often would cause alot of Taskbar issues.