Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacinda Ardern's face on loo set - Rotary apology
Well - how very unsurprising - it seems that some boys never do manage to grow up. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1319680...oilet-seat

"How a caricature mask of Jacinda Ardern ended up attached to the lid of a toilet seat trophy at an annual Rotary Club debate will be investigated.
The Rotary Club of St Johns has apologised for the offensive costumes and trophy seen at its annual debate evening on Friday.

Photos shared to the Rotary Club’s Facebook page on Friday evening, which have since been removed, showed club members celebrating with the traditional toilet seat trophy – which has been used for decades.

The toilet seat lid had a mask of former prime minister Jacinda Ardern attached by what appeared to be its elastic band – the masks had earlier been worn by the Rotary Club of Auckland East.

Gary Key, St Johns club co-president, said he initially thought the mask had been accidentally placed on the lid, and that no “malice” was intended.

Waitematā Local Board member Greg Moyle, also a Rotarian, was the debate adjudicator on the night and can be seen at the front of the photo, one hand in the toilet bowl.

He said no one meant any disrespect to either politician in the debate topic, and said “there was nothing inappropriate about it”.

So then, Greg Moyle & Gary Key would presumably have no objection & see no malice & nothing at all inappropriate should someone feature their photos - or that of  a family member of theirs - on a toilet seat?

I suppose there is a way to test that, isn't there... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
More lefty hand wringing. Had it been Luxon''s face on the seat poster would have put up how funny it was.
Fair to say there are idiots on both sides of the divide...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-05-2023, 04:32 PM)king1 Wrote: Fair to say there are idiots on both sides of the divide...

And hypocrites.

The very reason I choose to not call any politician names in any forum.
I assume the OP took an even dimmer view of this https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati...est-toilet

If you actually read the article (the Ardern one) it was 100% harmless. The toilet has been the trophy for decades, the winning team with the trophy had been judged to have successfully argued that Ardern was a better prime-minister than Muldoon (so they must have had some good things to say about her) and they put essentially their team mascot on the trophy; I doubt the fact the trophy was a toilet had zero bearing on their decision to hang the mask on it. If the trophy had been a standard "cup" style trophy, I'm guessing the same person would have likely hung the mask on the cup. The only mistake here is the co-president's apologising; grovelling to the perpetually outraged gets you nowhere.
(08-05-2023, 04:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: More lefty hand wringing.  Had it been Luxon''s face on the seat poster would have put up how funny it was.

Of course you don't mind - & no doubt would have no problem either with images of you or a family member being used in this way... Rolleyes Big Grin

And no - as it happens I just don't see this as funny regardless of whose image it used. Its insulting & malicious & very deliberately so. 

Schoolboy level 'humour' isn't often other than very basic & crude, lacking anything much in the way of intelligence.

(08-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dken31 Wrote: I assume the OP took an even dimmer view of this https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati...est-toilet

If you actually read the article (the Ardern one) it was 100% harmless.  The toilet has been the trophy for decades, the winning team with the trophy had been judged to have successfully argued that Ardern was a better prime-minister than Muldoon (so they must have had some good things to say about her) and they put essentially their team mascot on the trophy; I doubt the fact the trophy was a toilet had zero bearing on their decision to hang the mask on it.  If the trophy had been a standard "cup" style trophy, I'm guessing the same person would have likely hung the mask on the cup.  The only mistake here is the co-president's apologising; grovelling to the perpetually outraged gets you nowhere.

Haven't seen this before - it at least has some skill involved in the 'instruments' but that's about all which can be said for it.

And I disagree re the Ardern 'trophy' - it was not at all 'harmless'. There's been a huge amount of constant, malicious & often misogynistic comments aimed at women politicians & the loo seat is just more of the same from boys who apparently never grew up.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(08-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 04:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: More lefty hand wringing.  Had it been Luxon''s face on the seat poster would have put up how funny it was.

Of course you don't mind - & no doubt would have no problem either with images of you or a family member being used in this way... Rolleyes Big Grin

And no - as it happens I just don't see this as funny regardless of whose image it used. Its insulting & malicious & very deliberately so. 

Schoolboy level 'humour' isn't often other than very basic & crude, lacking anything much in the way of intelligence.

(08-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dken31 Wrote: I assume the OP took an even dimmer view of this https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati...est-toilet

If you actually read the article (the Ardern one) it was 100% harmless.  The toilet has been the trophy for decades, the winning team with the trophy had been judged to have successfully argued that Ardern was a better prime-minister than Muldoon (so they must have had some good things to say about her) and they put essentially their team mascot on the trophy; I doubt the fact the trophy was a toilet had zero bearing on their decision to hang the mask on it.  If the trophy had been a standard "cup" style trophy, I'm guessing the same person would have likely hung the mask on the cup.  The only mistake here is the co-president's apologising; grovelling to the perpetually outraged gets you nowhere.

Haven't seen this before - it at least has some skill involved in the 'instruments' but that's about all which can be said for it.

And I disagree re the Ardern 'trophy' - it was not at all 'harmless'. There's been a huge amount of constant, malicious & often misogynistic comments aimed at women politicians & the loo seat is just more of the same from boys who apparently never grew up.

Ah the hand wringer general.  And yes would have no issue with  my or my families pictures in a similar way - context is everything and it did not appear to be malicious.  Just handwringers making it so.
(08-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dken31 Wrote:  The only mistake here is the co-president's apologising; grovelling to the perpetually outraged gets you nowhere.

well I would suggest there is also an equally large number of individuals whose only purpose in life is to conjure up outrageous and offensive claims.

is hand wringers the new lefty insult du jour?

(08-05-2023, 08:07 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dken31 Wrote:  The only mistake here is the co-president's apologising; grovelling to the perpetually outraged gets you nowhere.

well I would suggest there is also an equally large number of individuals whose only purpose in life is to conjure up outrageous and offensive claims.

That's a bit harsh on Lilith7

(08-05-2023, 08:10 PM)king1 Wrote: is hand wringers the new lefty insult du jour?

Only if the du jours are fresh.

When was the last time a man's face has disrespected quite like that?

Honestly, this 'can't take a joke' excuse is so outdated.

(08-05-2023, 08:05 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Of course you don't mind - & no doubt would have no problem either with images of you or a family member being used in this way... Rolleyes Big Grin

Ah the hand wringer general.  And yes would have no issue with  my or my families pictures in a similar way - context is everything and it did not appear to be malicious.  Just handwringers making it so.

Really? okay.

Do it. Post it here. then show your Mum. See what she thinks.

Put up or shut up.
(08-05-2023, 08:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

When was the last time a man's face has disrespected quite like that?

(08-05-2023, 08:05 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Ah the hand wringer general.  And yes would have no issue with  my or my families pictures in a similar way - context is everything and it did not appear to be malicious.  Just handwringers making it so.

Really? okay.

Put up or shut up.
My mum is dead.
(08-05-2023, 09:24 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 08:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: When was the last time a man's face has disrespected quite like that?

Really? okay.

Put up or shut up.
My mum is dead.

Mine too. Probably just as well, both would be disgusted with Rotary.
(08-05-2023, 09:32 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 09:24 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: My mum is dead.

Mine too. Probably just as well, both would be disgusted with Rotary.

Meh mine would have had a chuckle.
(08-05-2023, 08:10 PM)king1 Wrote: is hand wringers the new lefty insult du jour?
Maybe they wore out 'woke', or realised they didn't really know what it meant.
Says it rather well, really...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/13198035...da-bashing
I read the continued Adern bashing as proof that it was never really about her performance or decisions as a leader, but simple, petty, misogynistic behaviour by a select few.  The mere fact they haven't moved on and continue with the same behaviour confirms that for me - now that Jacinda Adern has moved on.

But, I think calling them woman haters is too wide a brush stroke, most of those old rotary geezers look like they probably go home to their wives and have a perfectly amicable relationship.  But I feel most of these Adern 'critics' have simply been able to dehumanize her in their own minds, to the point they can say and do what they please... I'm sure there is probably a psychology term for the behaviour...

Just my two cents...

"People hate Ardern and Ardern is a women, therefore people clearly hate Ardern because she is a women" is just a massive logical fallacy. I think she was an awful prime minister, because of what she did and how she conducted herself. But I'd have had exactly the same feeling towards her had she been a man. On a global level, Trump attracted exponentially more hatred, vitriol, online abuse than Ardern: was that because misandry is rampant or was it because they didn't like what he was doing/saying? Or is misogyny the only valid category of sexism these days (sort of like it is only racism if it is white against non/white).
"Woman haters" is a term which is over-dramatic and enables those old geezers to say No, no, I don't hate women, I treasure them and want to protect them. Meaning "women are weak little things who should keep quiet and let me handle things".

The misogyny is much deeper seated than simple hatred. Those awful old geezers in the photo remind me of many meetings I have attended where the men are perfectly civil until a woman expresses an opinion. Next step - patronising "Not sure I get your drift". Next step "Time to move on, we'll come back to this topic later". Next step "The time for discussion has passed and I think we're almost all in agreement" (knowing glance at the chair). Next step "this dissent is out of proportion to the issue, I respect your right to express your opinion but we don't want to be here all night". It takes a very strong and determined woman to go to the bother of standing up to this sort of dismissal, and often it just doesn't seem worth the bother. And so it goes on and on and on .
(08-05-2023, 08:05 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Of course you don't mind - & no doubt would have no problem either with images of you or a family member being used in this way... Rolleyes Big Grin

I have a different view to your own; that happens with humans.  Perhaps keep the insults to yourself - it isn't that difficult. Dodgy

(09-05-2023, 09:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Says it rather well, really...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/13198035...da-bashing

I think the reason may be that this was after Jacinda Ardern had stepped down as PM, & that it was just that one more insulting small minded gesture too far - most women & actual men, having had enough of the continual tirade of vicious comments  so possibly it was the last straw.

And she's  absolutely  right.

(09-05-2023, 10:41 AM)Olive Wrote: "Woman haters" is a term which is over-dramatic and enables those old geezers to say No, no, I don't hate women, I treasure them and want to protect them.  Meaning "women are weak little things who should keep quiet and let me handle things". 

The misogyny is much deeper seated than simple hatred.  Those awful old geezers in the photo remind me of many meetings I have attended where the men are perfectly civil until a woman expresses an opinion.  Next step - patronising "Not sure I get your drift".  Next step "Time to move on, we'll come back to this topic later".  Next step "The time for discussion has passed and I think we're almost all in agreement" (knowing glance at the chair).  Next step "this dissent is out of proportion to the issue, I respect your right to express your opinion but we don't want to be here all night".      It takes a very strong and determined woman to go to the bother of standing up to this sort of dismissal, and often it just doesn't seem worth the bother.  And so it goes on and on and on .

Nail on head.

I remember somewhere reading an article on the way in which men tend to do this kind of thing & someone asked just how much they'd still claim to 'love women'  if they were not allowed to have sex with them... Rolleyes