Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No excuse for stupidity
The events in Whangarei this week were utterly tragic to say the least.
I still dont understand how that trip was even allowed to proceed, given the severe weather and even with one parent pulling their kid out of the trip beforehand.
That should have been enough to raise the alarm to those responsible.

It brings back the memories of the Mangatepopo Canyon disaster which was something you would have thought would have resonated with any school across NZ.
Caves and rain are a bad mix, look what happened to the kids in Thailand in 2018
The moral of the story is use common sense, something that sadly seems to be lacking these days.
I know we did black water rafting on a school trip about 23 years ago, we were having heavy rain and the trip still went ahead, the difference here was that the team actually had been through the cave prior, looked at the water levels and rates of rise, they told us we had to do it a day early as it would be impossible to do if we left it to the next day what was scheduled. These were experienced cavers who know the place and the weather conditions well.
Was still quite a scary experience though, we had the water level less than a foot of roof space between the water and the roof of the cave!
Would be interesting if they would allow this to go ahead in todays circumstances with H&S but was quite a thrilling experience, there was a ton of water going through that cave.
Someone gave the go ahead. Or didn't call a halt. That person is responsible. That person should step down. We should not need an investigation to tell us who is in charge of what goes on in a school.

And it isn't that teacher.

Though to be fair, there were a number of very poor choices in this chain of events.
At the school I drove for in my retirement cut down a beautiful tree because boys were climbing it and possibly one of them may have had a fall.

Stupid barstewards!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Shocked 
(13-05-2023, 07:26 AM)Kenj Wrote: At the school I drove for in my retirement cut down a beautiful tree because boys were climbing it and possibly one of them may have had a fall.

Stupid barstewards!

Give it a few years (plus the Greens getting a casting vote) and the new policy would probably be that trees are inviolate, gravity is the culprit. Gravity can't be turned off, it is caused by the earth attracting pupils. Obviously the earth, and its gravity must be removed. The only difficulty I can see in a Greenwashed universe is that all the orange cones will have nothing to sit on, so will tend to drift around aimlessly and become quite a nuisance but with a karakia. (That will entitle the cones to a place in the Green party, then we'll see much more mischief . . . . . .  )
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
We Greens will recycle those cones somehow. We just need a clever sod to come up with an alternative use for vast amounts of orange plastic...
(13-05-2023, 12:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We Greens will recycle those cones somehow. We just need a clever sod to come up with an alternative use for vast amounts of orange plastic...

Turn it into face powder for Oompa Loompas and Donald T Rump
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(13-05-2023, 12:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We Greens will recycle those cones somehow. We just need a clever sod to come up with an alternative use for vast amounts of orange plastic...

I understand the Scots have a truly excellent one... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-n...e-28260343
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(12-05-2023, 08:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Someone gave the go ahead. Or didn't call a halt. That person is responsible. That person should step down. We should not need an investigation to tell us who is in charge of what goes on in a school.

And it isn't that teacher.

Though to be fair, there were a number of very poor choices in this chain of events.

Exactly how I feel, likely someone behind a desk said yes, whoever it was needs to own up, no investigation necessary.
(13-05-2023, 04:35 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

I understand the Scots have a truly excellent one... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

While there over Christmas my friend and her grandson visited that particular cone, only to discover it had toppled off the head and was resting on the horse's back. So grandson attempted to climb up to repair the iconic arrangement, but unfortunately did not prove quite big enough yet to complete the task. The video is quite fun though. He has been promised a return visit when he hits six foot...

Lucky boy.
(15-05-2023, 03:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(13-05-2023, 04:35 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I understand the Scots have a truly excellent one... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

While there over Christmas my friend and her grandson visited that particular cone, only to discover it had toppled off the head and was resting on the horse's back. So grandson attempted to climb up to repair the iconic arrangement, but unfortunately did not prove quite big enough yet to complete the task. The video is quite fun though. He has been promised a return visit when he hits six foot...

Lucky boy.

Lucky indeed - & I bet he doesn't forget either especially if he gets to 6 foot. Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(15-05-2023, 02:13 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Exactly how I feel, likely someone behind a desk said yes, whoever it was needs to own up, no investigation necessary.

Alas, there's now so many people behind desks doing stupid things that it is now the de-facto expected behaviour so there's almost no chance of investigation. Not only that, if there was to be an [EXPENSIVE] investigation, guess where they'd find the investigator?

Sad
Entropy is not what
it used to be.