Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Bread & butter' mainenance
A very interesting and insightful opinion piece from our New Plymouth mayor. Sums up where we're at on a regional and national level, and how it needs to be addressed. https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n...aintenance
Or to be blunt, less of the poli-waffle & more of just damn well doing it - now.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The problem is this government hates cars and wants to force us on public transport, its all part of the UN agenda 2030.

They made it clear last night with this years budget and TVNZ weren't even afraid to admit that it was a "positive" step to give young people free public transport to get them accustomed to using public transport.

This is the last thing we need, this country is full of roads with lack of maintenance and full of potholes.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
How they expect that over 60's are going to be able to get their groceries back from the supermarket without multiple bus trips is beyond me.

Let alone traipsing around malls carrying goods which eventually going to get home on the bus, it's ridiculous.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
The govt don't 'hate cars' but they're aware - as are most of us - that we need to change our ways & reduce pollution. There isn't a spare planet waiting in the wings & so we need to clean up the mess we've made of this one.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(19-05-2023, 08:14 PM)zqwerty Wrote: How they expect that over 60's are going to be able to get their groceries back from the supermarket without multiple bus trips is beyond me.

I have a 50cc scooter, and even that would need a couple of trips for my modest supermarket shopping.

Back in the late '50's, early '60's, my mother would walk to the local shops, and walk home again...later that day the grocer's van would come with what she ordered, and also the butchers van came. In the morning the milk and bread were delivered, sometimes coal....a card in the window, and the dry cleaner came.

Earlier still, when I was a baby at Eastern Beach, she would put me in the pram, and my brother would ride his Triang trike....going over the hill to Bucklands Beach she would tie a rope on the trike so it didn't run away....then the nappies went into my Grandmother's copper, and the washing done. On the trip home, washing and groceries in the pram, she would tie the rope to the trike, and push the pram up, and tow my brother with his trike up the hill too. Nothing to a woman of Irish/Scottish decent.

Oh...so you lived in a shoebox...?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Oh no, here we go again......... Smile

Thats nothing, I lived in a shoe box in the middle of a road!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(20-05-2023, 06:49 PM)Kenj Wrote: Oh no, here we go again......... Smile

Shoe box in middle of road?
Luxury!

We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night... Rolleyes Big Grin
(20-05-2023, 07:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(20-05-2023, 06:49 PM)Kenj Wrote: Oh no, here we go again......... Smile

Shoe box in middle of road?
Luxury!

We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night... Rolleyes

We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night...

Luxury....

We got cast out of our shoe box and had to move to a brown paper bag.  Tongue
(21-05-2023, 08:48 AM)Kenj Wrote:
(20-05-2023, 07:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Shoe box in middle of road?
Luxury!

We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night... Rolleyes

We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night...

Luxury....

We had  one of those but the rain did for it & we had to move, to underneath a toadstool... Rolleyes Tongue Big Grin
(21-05-2023, 12:34 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(21-05-2023, 08:48 AM)Kenj Wrote: We lived in a shoe box on a puddle, had to bail it out for half the night...

Luxury....

We had  one of those but the rain did for it & we had to move, to underneath a toadstool... Rolleyes Tongue Big Grin

Luxury, they have roofs. Our brown paper bag in the middle of the road blew away one day when we were out looking for food scraps in the gutter. Now we only have a single sheet of newspaper to cover us.  Tongue Cool
The original version:

(21-05-2023, 05:27 PM)harm_less Wrote: The original version:

Excellent stuff! Big Grin Big Grin
My scoot has been known to bring me, 40 litres of potting mix, and my weeks groceries home (uphill!) on occasion. Though I do get the guys at the hardware shop to deliver these days. It can be a challenge though, getting the wine, the groceries, the fruit and veg, AND the library books all safely aboard.

I need a trailer...
(21-05-2023, 08:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My scoot has been known to bring me, 40 litres of potting mix, and my weeks groceries home (uphill!) on occasion. Though I do get the guys at the hardware shop to deliver these days. It can be a challenge though, getting the wine, the groceries, the fruit and veg, AND the library books all safely aboard.

I need a trailer...

You can get them for scooters i think. With 2 or 3 of them you could start doing long haul work and make a few bob to top up the pension!  Big Grin Big Grin
(21-05-2023, 08:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My scoot has been known to bring me, 40 litres of potting mix, and my weeks groceries home (uphill!) on occasion. Though I do get the guys at the hardware shop to deliver these days. It can be a challenge though, getting the wine, the groceries, the fruit and veg, AND the library books all safely aboard.

I need a trailer...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Someone had imagination, lol!

There was one on TM a while back, for $400. I am pretty sure I can rig one up cheaper than that! There are some garden trolleys that have the right kinds of wheels. The trick will be the towbar connection...
(22-05-2023, 09:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Someone had imagination, lol!

There was one on TM a while back, for $400. I am pretty sure I can rig one up cheaper than that! There are some garden trolleys that have the right kinds of wheels. The trick will be the towbar connection...
Steal a supermarket trolley and hook it on with a long Bungee cord......... Get yourself a reputation in "hood"  Big Grin  Tongue Big Grin
(22-05-2023, 10:17 AM)Kenj Wrote:
(22-05-2023, 09:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Someone had imagination, lol!

Steal a supermarket trolley and hook it on with a long Bungee cord......... Get yourself a reputation in "hood"  Big Grin  Tongue Big Grin

She might need a leather biker's jacket & perhaps a balaclava to get the right 'look'.... Rolleyes Big Grin
(22-05-2023, 11:50 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-05-2023, 10:17 AM)Kenj Wrote: Steal a supermarket trolley and hook it on with a long Bungee cord......... Get yourself a reputation in "hood"  Big Grin  Tongue Big Grin

She might need a leather biker's jacket & perhaps a balaclava to get the right 'look'.... Rolleyes Big Grin

Always told my wife I was going to get a Harley and a couple of sets of leathers. I would be the rider and she could be the **** on the back. Big Grin Big Grin

She just rolls her eyes as she hits me  Tongue