Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why do they wear their mask under their chin?
Shocked 
I don't see it quite so much these days being post pandemic but I still see it now and then. So why do they do it? 

I was of the understanding that the mask was to keep the nasties from going up your nose or in your mouth, but wearing it under the chin is not going to stop anything. So why bother? What's the use? There's no point to that at all. It's just ridiculous.
Why do they do it?   Because, to put it politely,  they have limited comprehension skills.
A quick pull up when required I suspect saves all that fussing with hooking over ears.

It does look silly though.
Because they are stupid, but the question should really be why do people still wear masks?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Because more than 30 people a week are dying of covid and many more being infected.

Covid-19 case numbers: 12,277 new cases, 30 further deaths
1:47 pm on 8 May 2023

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4894...her-deaths
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(19-05-2023, 08:05 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Because they are stupid, but the question should really be why do people still wear masks?

Why do people still wear masks?   Because they are intelligent enough to be aware that Covid-19 is still being transmitted and is still killing people, and mask-wearing is one of the effective ways of limiting transmission.

Do you want to catch Covid-19?
And because plenty of places still require masks to protect their staff from germ laden stupid people...

Like hospitals, medical surgeries. pharmacies... Maybe they know something the unmasked don't?
(18-05-2023, 07:45 PM)Roscoe Wrote: I don't see it quite so much these days being post pandemic but I still see it now and then. So why do they do it? 

I was of the understanding that the mask was to keep the nasties from going up your nose or in your mouth, but wearing it under the chin is not going to stop anything. So why bother? What's the use? There's no point to that at all. It's just ridiculous.

My first thought, like others above, was "because they are stupid". I suspect it is for the ability to pull it up "when needed" but they are totally missing that by the time they do the quick pull up, either the mask or their hands or both are likely to be contaminated and touching the mask is about as risky as touching your face when you have no mask.

For a mask to be effective, you should put it before going out into the dangerous space, then leave it alone and don't touch it until you are taking it off with freshly sanitised hands. Then it has some chance of being effective. If I have to touch or adjust mine while it's on, I do gel my hands first, then again before touching anything else.

I now rarely wear a mask for low volume retail spaces, but definitely still do for the supermarket or any kind of health care setting. It's simple, I don't like being sick.
Dr Jonathan Howard: why US doctors spread Covid disinformation

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...nformation
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
1 Masks worn under the chin last FAR longer than that other messy alternative.
2 Masks worn under the feet wear out really quickly.
3 A noose worn under the chin is not the best option available, except for those making really dumb choices come election time.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(09-07-2023, 04:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: 1  Masks worn under the chin last FAR longer than that other messy alternative.
2  Masks worn under the feet wear out really quickly.
3  A noose worn under the chin is not the best option available, except for those making really dumb choices come election time.

Should no.3 be available free to say for example, ACT supporters do you think...??

Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-07-2023, 07:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 04:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: 1  Masks worn under the chin last FAR longer than that other messy alternative.
3  A noose worn under the chin is not the best option available, except for those making really dumb choices come election time.

Should no.3 be available free to say for example, ACT supporters do you think...??

Nope, but compulsory for Green/Labour/maori Party voters?

Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(09-07-2023, 07:23 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 07:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Should no.3 be available free to say for example, ACT supporters do you think...??

Nope, but compulsory for Green/Labour/maori Party voters?

Nice try... Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-07-2023, 07:25 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 07:23 PM)Kenj Wrote: Nope, but compulsory for Green/Labour/maori Party voters?

Nice try... Big Grin

Aaah, can't help it.... love living dangerously  Big Grin Big Grin Tongue
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(09-07-2023, 07:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

No, they are in a different category where their masks are made of impervious heavy gauge alkathene and must be fitted very closely to have the desired effect.Neither a noose nor covid is reliable enough to protect the nation.

Angry Devil Evilgrin

(09-07-2023, 07:36 PM)Kenj Wrote: Aaah, can't help it.... love living dangerously  Big Grin Big Grin Tongue

Why not ?  ,)   Living with maximum safety is invariably fatal.

Huh
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(10-07-2023, 07:25 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 07:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Should no.3 be available free to say for example, ACT supporters do you think...??

No, they are in a different category where their masks are made of impervious heavy gauge alkathene and must be fitted very closely to have the desired effect.Neither a noose nor covid is reliable enough to protect the nation.

Angry Devil Evilgrin

(09-07-2023, 07:36 PM)Kenj Wrote: Aaah, can't help it.... love living dangerously  Big Grin Big Grin Tongue

Why not ?  ,)   Living with maximum safety is invariably fatal.

I might be wrong, what with not being an expert, but I'm fairly sure that both maximum safety & non maximum safety are  inevitably fatal, eventually. Big Grin
I'm no expert either, having only successfully tried the non-fatal accidents (so far), my attempts at fatal accidents all failed. Surprisingly, most of the motorbikes were revived to mobility, even if the economics were a bit dodgy.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.