Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why do women rip holes in their jeans?
I find it hard to understand why some women destroy their jeans by ripping holes in them. Yesterday I saw one with gaping holes in each knee! She could have put her knees through the holes! But why?

Alright, it's their jeans so they can do what they like, but I think it looks ridiculous.  

So is it just a fashion fad? Confused
they need cooling down when women are hot to trot. Smile Smile
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Their jeans come that way from new. Some bloke designed them.
Two possibilities:

1) They're idiots, or
2) They're creatures of fashion

I've seen blokes wearing them too.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The holes are genuine wear and tear...down on her knees scrubbing the floor...or maybe something else.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(20-05-2023, 11:49 AM)Zurdo Wrote: The holes are genuine wear and tear...down on her knees scrubbing the floor...or maybe something else.

brave, very brave...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Ripped jeans emerged as part of the Punk anti-fashion movement started by Vivienne Westwood in the 70s and continued by Grunge in the 80s.   No longer regarded as fashionable but they seem to have hung around as an anti-establishment signifier.
Denim was originally dark blue, and with wear and washing turned a lighter colour, more so in high wear areas...and ultimately wore through, and there were holes. Later, more trendy generations didn't want to go through the wearing in process, and so they were pre aged...modern faded denim. And then holes were added, so they didn't have to wear them long enough to get holes. Back in my day, we wore ''originals'' - never washed, they just got greasy and holes appeared, worn over another pair of jeans for extra protection...before real motorcycle pants were invented.

There was also a trend in leather patched jeans, first in the knees, then other areas....and then just a complete leather patch work garment. I still have a leather waistcoat like that.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
One of my sewing friends is an indigo obsessive, and extremely knowledgeable on the subject. She recently found, in a local market, a pair of very well worn Japanese made jeans that would fit her, and decided they'd be a perfect slow stitching repair job following boro principles. So she is slowly patching and reinforcing the pants with indigo fabrics from her collection, and boy, the result is just glorious. I look forward to seeing her wear them!

I'm waiting for a pair of mine to start giving way and I shall follow suit just for the pleasure of the stitchery.