Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jennifer Lawrence documentary on the Taliban
This looks interesting, & you really have to wonder why it is that since the misogynistic Taliban took power again no western countries have tried to intervene to any great extent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-65624203

"The producer is the Oscar-winning actress, Jennifer Lawrence, who is telling the BBC why this moment in the film is so significant to her.
"My heart was beating so fast watching these women defy the Taliban," Lawrence says. "You don't see this side of the story, women fighting back, in the news everyday and it's an important part of our film, and the stories of these women."

Ciarrocchi says that Lawrence "had a seismic reaction to the fall of Kabul in 2021 because the circumstances were so dire for women".
"And she said, 'We've got to give somebody a platform to tell this story in a meaningful way.'"
That somebody was Sahra Mani, a documentary maker who co-founded the independent Kabul production company, Afghan Doc House.

Both Lawrence and Ciarrocchi had watched her critically-acclaimed documentary A Thousand Girls Like Me, which profiles a 23-year-old Afghan woman who goes on national television to expose sexual abuse by her father, after being ignored by her family and the police.

With Mani and the other women featured now all out of the country, the producers felt comfortable submitting Bread and Roses for wider distribution, starting at Cannes.
Ciarrocchi and Lawrence say their next challenge is to get the film in front of a large audience - not always easy when the story is a snapshot of an ongoing and devastating conflict."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)