Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian police won't release footage of tasering elderly woman
Even with dementia, a serrated knife & a walking frame its difficult to understand how much of a threat someone of that age could possibly be to police officers.  Rolleyes Dodgy

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65657999

[b]"Australian police say they will not release bodycam footage of the moment an elderly woman with dementia was Tasered by an officer.[/b]
Clare Nowland, 95, is in critical condition after an officer discharged the weapon at a care home in Cooma, New South Wales (NSW), on Wednesday.
Police say Ms Nowland had moved towards them "at a slow pace" with a knife."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Unbelievable, I thought this was the sort of thing you would hear about in the USA, not Australia.
(22-05-2023, 11:25 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Unbelievable, I thought this was the sort of thing you would hear about in the USA, not Australia.

That was my first thought too, not what you'd expect from the Aussies really.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(22-05-2023, 11:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-05-2023, 11:25 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Unbelievable, I thought this was the sort of thing you would hear about in the USA, not Australia.

That was my first thought too, not what you'd expect from the Aussies really.

I don't know, they're a weird mob Aussies. Confused
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(22-05-2023, 12:41 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(22-05-2023, 11:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: That was my first thought too, not what you'd expect from the Aussies really.

I don't know, they're a weird mob Aussies. Confused

Well..yeah, there is that. Rolleyes Big Grin
The officer who tasered the woman has been suspended - took them long enough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65642976

"The police officer who Tasered a 95-year-old woman at an Australian care home, critically injuring her, has been suspended.
New South Wales (NSW) Police said the 33-year-old senior constable was stood down with pay.
An investigation into the incident continues, as Clare Nowland receives "end of life care" in hospital.
Amid public outcry, critics have called the response by police and care home staff disproportionate.
Community groups, including the NSW Council for Civil Liberties and People with Disability Australia (PwD), have strongly criticised the response, and called for better de-escalation training.

"The family are shocked, they're confused... and the community is outraged," family friend Andrew Thaler told the BBC on Friday.
"How can this happen? How do you explain this level of force? It's absurd."
Sadly she passed away yesterday.
That cop may now face murder charges.
(25-05-2023, 12:59 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Sadly she passed away yesterday.
That cop may now face murder charges.

He should; whether or not he will is another thing though.