Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evil predators in the garden
Thumbs Down 
Has anybody else noticed snails attacking Monarchs in their pupa stage?
I had the outside light on, and as I passed yesterday evening I noticed quantities of snails in a Swan Plant. Looking closer, almost every snail was enveloping a Monarch pupa.  Alas, I did not take any pictures, too busy squashing snails and spreading any snail survivors' last suppers. They killed quite a few pupae (?) pupas (?) several of which had fallen to the ground.
At least the early birds had takeaways ready for their breakfasts.

Huh
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
SNAILS HAVE RIGHTS!!!!!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
They bloody don't. I caught a couple in my orchid pot the other day doing disgustings things to each other with dirty big grins all over their slimy faces. My favourite black bird got a late afternoon snack...

I didn't know they ate the chrysalises though. I have been squishing mantises that thought my swan plants were their territory. South African illegals, bastard creatures. Haven't seen one of our little natives for decades, that lot have wiped them out.

My other secret grin today comes from noticing that a piece of dry dustry ground I cleared yesterday ready to replenish and plant has had the attention of a couple of neighbour cats. Hmmmmm, I thought. And as I was scrubbing out some old pantry containers ready to list on TM I came across a small pot of ancient black pepper. Just what I needed to top dress the areas...

That should get up their cute furry little noses.
If they squat in that gritty black powder, you may lose a bit of topsoil as cat(s) accelerate to lift-off velocity accompanied by laments played in the bagpipe fashion.

(27-05-2023, 11:42 AM)Kenj Wrote: SNAILS HAVE RIGHTS!!!!!

That's not all, I'm ambidextrous for snail dancing, so the left boot gets equal stomping time. Sigma is the symbol of the day for snails.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
Well, at least the snails can't say I didn't try!.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Didn't think snails would attack a chrysalis but either way, do a good dumping of slug baits around the garden and you will find a ton of dead snails in the morning.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Also dead hedgehogs and thrushes from eating the poisoned snails.

Put out saucers with a slight amount of beer in each saucer, the snails will get drunk and drown.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Or take a bucket with water in it and a torch out after dark. Snail spotting, excellent fun for gardeners bent on revenge...
(27-05-2023, 03:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They bloody don't. 

SLugs and snails not only provide food for various other creatures, without which, they would have a serious problem, slugs also eat small invertebrates.

Snails are primarily decomposers that feed on dead leaves and flowers, speeding up the recycling of plant nutrients. Their feces fertilizes the soil much more quickly than bacteria breaks down plant material. When snails die, the decomposition of their shells slowly adds calcium to the soil.