Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woke NZTA introducing bilingual road signs
Thumbs Down 
I know some here disagree with me using the term "woke" but how about doing something meaningful with the money instead like actually fixing the roads?
What's more for a language that only a minority actually speak on a daily basis and only a few understand, why on earth have it as the first language on the signs to begin with?
I guess I could understand if they put it as the second language on the road signs.
Mind you, TVNZ do the same with the weather, seems the English name comes second, despite it being the language most of us all speak.
I agree with National on this one and I know NZ first is on board with this too along with Act.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4907...aori-party
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
It's not a done deal yet CT 

Quote:On Monday, Waka Kotahi said its He Tohu Huarahi Māori Bilingual Traffic Signs programme was going out for public consultation.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
@CT, when you provide us with your definition of 'woke' those here might start taking you seriously because currently you're just treating it as an antonym of racist or bigoted.
We were in the Hawke's Bay hospital last week, and all the signs in the hospital are in Maori with English in a lot smaller type below. You could read the Maori stuff easily if you were among the small percentage of New Zealanders who can read it, but you had to get up closer to read the English. Bit like an eye chart. Sad

And please, If we are going to have double language signs, make them easy to read!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Just slow down and use your manners. That'd be woke enough for most of us, in whatever language we choose.

(28-05-2023, 01:23 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I know some here disagree with me using the term "woke" but how about doing something meaningful with the money instead like actually fixing the roads?
What's more for a language that only a minority actually speak on a daily basis and only a few understand, why on earth have it as the first language on the signs to begin with?
I guess I could understand if they put it as the second language on the road signs.
Mind you, TVNZ do the same with the weather, seems the English name comes second, despite it being the language most of us all speak.
I agree with National on this one and I know NZ first is on board with this too along with Act.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4907...aori-party

Most New Zealanders speak a little te reo. We absorb it because this is a bilingual nation.

Now, if only we all absorbed a little sign language as well...

Beyond the obvious one I can think of for you, OP. Tongue
(28-05-2023, 01:31 PM)king1 Wrote: It's not a done deal yet CT 

Quote:On Monday, Waka Kotahi said its He Tohu Huarahi Māori Bilingual Traffic Signs programme was going out for public consultation.

It's pretty obvious they will do it, the way I understood it was the designs were up for consultation.

(28-05-2023, 03:07 PM)harm_less Wrote: @CT, when you provide us with your definition of 'woke' those here might start taking you seriously because currently you're just treating it as an antonym of racist or bigoted.

So does that make Winston peters racist?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
You didn't know he was? Add misogyny to that...
I feel like adding woke to the banned list TBH, the meaning attributed to it seems to change with every use and as such, seems meaningless.

Proposed definition of woke: something that is about to be complained about without actually knowing or thinking about the correct adjectives to use...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(28-05-2023, 05:12 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(28-05-2023, 03:07 PM)harm_less Wrote: @CT, when you provide us with your definition of 'woke' those here might start taking you seriously because currently you're just treating it as an antonym of racist or bigoted.

So does that make Winston peters racist?
Hell yeah. He only gets away with it because he hides behind his skin colour. Billy T James used the same strategy but he'd get strung up if he tried his brand of humour these days as we've progressed beyond that mindset now, except for the like of Winnie it would seem.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/video/29889/billy-t-james

This sums it up pretty well. (Sarcasm alert Wink )

[Image: FxMK-TSaQAgPHJD?format=jpg&name=medium]
Woke. from awakened. But hey, some just prefer to stay asleep.

And that cartoon is the ugliest thing I have seen all day. And I scrubbed out the litterbox today...
(28-05-2023, 05:24 PM)king1 Wrote: I feel like adding woke to the banned list TBH, the meaning attributed to it seems to change with every use and as such, seems meaningless.

Proposed definition of woke:  something that is about to be complained about without actually knowing or thinking about the correct adjectives to use...

Good idea, however as CT seems to be the only poster/bot who uses the term maybe ban him/her/it.  I'm so tired of the ignorant diatribes and sealioning.
We need to look at Ireland to see how it is going to go. Gaelic was made a compulsory subject at school...everyone learned it. All signs are dual language. In the real world no one speaks Gaelic...but they all know what the words mean, and how to pronounce them. And we should be the same with Maori.

Maori should also look at Ireland and see how the English treated them...some parallels there too.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
And not just Ireland...
(28-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Woke. from awakened. But hey, some just prefer to stay asleep.

And that cartoon is the ugliest thing I have seen all day. And I scrubbed out the litterbox today...

We are lucky. We've got a flush toilet at our place.  Tongue Tongue
Using both languages on sign posts is one of the ways in which the Welsh language was brought back from the brink of oblivion, & its now doing well.

We could do far worse.

If I don't understand Maori words I can always look it up or ask someone - with any sort of luck I might learn something & that's never a bad thing.

(29-05-2023, 12:29 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(28-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Woke. from awakened. But hey, some just prefer to stay asleep.

Ohh - there's posh! Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

Sorry couldn't resist! Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Woke" might have a precise meaning but the common usage of the word is today's equivalent of "PC" as it used to be used as a derogatory term. Woke-ism in my book tends to be when people are saying what they think is popular or "right" without actually understanding the depth of the subject or society's needs and priorities. Bi-lingual signs might be a good idea but in the bigger picture in NZ I think there are far more important things to spend money and energy on - like health, education, justice, transport, etc. Maori would benefit far more from any of those being done effectively.

Winston Peters is not racist. He's a Maori who understands the bigger picture far more than most, and while he might have his faults, he at least doesn't allow anyone any favours by pulling the "race card". Unlike many politicians today who do their best to create separatism instead of working to a common good.

I have met Winnie and thought him arrogant and egositical, but have a lot of respect for the common sense he so often brings. We need him.
(30-05-2023, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Using both languages on sign posts is one of the ways in which the Welsh language was brought back from the brink of oblivion, & its now doing well.

We could do far worse.

If I don't understand Maori words I can always look it up or ask someone - with any sort of luck I might learn something & that's never a bad thing.

It is just as well the scoot hasn't got the battery power to reach his place. Otherwise I'd be plumping up the butterfly net...
(31-05-2023, 05:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(30-05-2023, 07:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Using both languages on sign posts is one of the ways in which the Welsh language was brought back from the brink of oblivion, & its now doing well.

We could do far worse.

It is just as well the scoot hasn't got the battery power to reach his place. Otherwise I'd be plumping up the butterfly net...

He's probably read this & headed for the hills. That, or laying a cunning trap. Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-05-2023, 07:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(31-05-2023, 05:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It is just as well the scoot hasn't got the battery power to reach his place. Otherwise I'd be plumping up the butterfly net...

He's probably read this & headed for the hills. That, or laying a cunning trap. Rolleyes Big Grin

As Baldrick would say...."I have a cunning plan"  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Unintended consequences of bilingual signs Tongue 

[Image: 5t5pfhk8hb3b1.jpg]