Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National puts foot in mouth again
Although to be fair, the media are also gleefully making the most of remarks which can be taken to mean different things - but that said, politicians really should be more careful in what they say.

This does smack of the ' those stupid women can't bring up kids & need a man's help to do it' which is so beloved of the far right. And coming on top of remarks that National will require women to pay the prescription fee  for contraception, is somewhat unfortunate.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/...5310&ei=10

"During the debate, O'Connor said it was his personal view that it was the responsibility of parents to "look after their own children" and the State should "by and large" stay out of it. He said there are some "pragmatic and right reasons" for the State to assist.
"It is the responsibility of the mother and the father - and I'm being very deliberate with my language there: the mother and the father - to raise the child," O'Connor said.
It was this comment that caused dismay online.
Labour MP Marja Lubeck tweeted the statement on Tuesday night, leading to some to suggest the comments were homophobic for stressing "mother and father". Labour minister Kiri Allan on Wednesday shared a video of O'Connor making his remarks with the hashtag "#NoHomo". 
But O'Connor told Newshub he wasn't saying same-sex parents shouldn't raise children and acknowledged there is a range of family structures.
He said an overwhelming number of people paying child support are fathers, so was focusing his words towards them.
"Simply that the fathers need to continue their obligations and be part of raising their children."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ected.html

"Labour Minister Megan Woods had one word to sum up National's comments: "Unbelievable."
She followed her tweet with an image of The Handmaid's Tale, a show about a Christian fundamentalist theocratic regime in the former United States that arose as a response to a fertility crisis.

Even a Green Party MP jumped in on the attack.
"Well at least they're honest that they think women should be punished for having sex…. I'm surprised that they've gone so far as to include married women," MP Jan Logie posted on Facebook.
Family Planning has welcomed the move to scrap prescription fees, with its chief executive Jackie Edmond saying it would help young people's access to contraception."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And then there was John Key doing a bit of diplomatic communicating to offset young Max's fox par with his podcast recently.

Nothing like having a celeb Dad to get one out of a cock up. Some parents need to stay out of governmenting...
(01-06-2023, 02:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And then there was John Key doing a bit of diplomatic communicating to offset young Max's fox par with his podcast recently.

Nothing like having a celeb Dad to get one out of a cock up. Some parents need to stay out of governmenting...

And not the first time for Max behaving like an idiot either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuClPAWDr2A&t=113s