Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugandan anti gay laws thanks to US Christians
This really is ugly. Homophobia is one thing but to knowingly influence another country's affairs to the extent where people will die is another thing entirely. There seems no limit to both their ignorance & their hatred & is perhaps an indicator of where some of the less educated areas of America are headed.

Dodgy Angry

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/d...omosexuals

"Learned behaviour can be unlearned," said David Bahati. "You can't tell me that people are born gays. It is foreign influence that is at work."
Bahati has just presented his anti-homosexuality bill 2009 to Uganda's parliament. The bill, which will be debated within a fortnight and is expected to become law by February, will allow homosexuality to be punishable by death.

"Most people have misunderstood the bill," Bahati told the [i]Observer[/i]. "The section of the death penalty relates to defilement by an adult who is homosexual and this is consistent  

with the law on defilement which was passed in 2007. The whole intention is to prevent the recruitment of under-age children, which is going on in single-sex schools. We must stop the recruitment and secure the future of our children."
There is wide support for Bahati's law which, while being an extreme piece of anti-gay legislation, is not unique. As far as gay rights are concerned, it would appear that much of Africa is going backwards. Nigeria has a similar bill waiting to reach its statute books and already allows the death penalty for homosexuality in northern states, as does Sudan." 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/ug...-oywelowo/

[b]"What personal philosophy inspires you to defend LGBTIQ rights in the midst of all this hysteria – not just today, but also in 2014 when you helped kill a very similar anti-gay bill? And where would you say you fall politically: liberal, centrist or conservative?[/b]
I am a liberal, perhaps a radical liberal. I believe that you cannot claim to be a human being, if you do not respect human rights. And this imposes on you an obligation to promote and protect the rights of other human beings.    

Nelson Mandela held the view that love is inherent and inborn. Hate, on the other hand, is taught, acquired. I think we are all born good human beings and we're all born to love – to love ourselves, to love other human beings, to love our neighbours, regardless of colour, regardless of sexual orientation, regardless of stature.

I know that's a bit of an idealistic position. We live in a world where hate is constantly preached, and where we all have markers and identifiers. My first marker is probably my clan and tribe, then religion, then you introduce complications such as my sexual orientation and the last thing that comes to mind is the lowest common denominator, which is just love."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Backwards thinking due to primitive ideology. Amazing how such crsp gets passed down from generation to generation.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.