Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taiki Waititi'You f***ing broke it, YOU fix it!
Excellent piece on the Hollywood diversity crisis.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/ce...you-fix-it

All of us wanna be working and not having to come and do f...ing panels and speeches in the middle of our day,” Waititi said during his address. “This is a great thing. It’s good that we’re talking about it. We have to keep talking about it but this is the s... you’ve got us doing.”

[b]
You wonder why there is no indigenous stuff out there - this is the s... you’ve got us doing. Making us come and talk about the problem and tell you how to fix it. You f...ing broke it - you fix it.”
[/b]

It’s like someone coming into your house, stealing all of your s... and burning your house down and then saying ‘OK, we need to have a talk about this.’ And then, saying ‘now, you’re gonna rebuild your house and what can we give you to help you rebuild your house that we burnt down.

He praised his mentor, Merata Mita, for shaping his filmmaking experiences.

Instead of diversification of the screen, the thing that I really want to see and what I really strive and hope for is a term coined by my mentor Merata Mita, who was the first indigenous and female filmmaker to come out of New Zealand.”

[b][b]She is the one who started it all and the term she loved to use was decolonising the screen.”
[/b]
[/b]

Waititi concluded his address by asking Hollywood to stop demanding that people of colour and indigenous communities fix the diversity issue.
Stop asking us what to do, how to fix things, alright? I’m so tired of this, the diversity, inclusivity conversation, all the conversations,” he said.

[b][b]
[b]So we’ll stumble, we should stumble together – you guys do most of the stumbling. We will get there but just don’t expect it to be fixed just like that.”

[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They are probably too scared of cultural appropriation.
People try and get slammed because it's not "right"
I'm really on the fence about it, the best people to produce films with such content are the ones who actually come from such a background to begin with.
Taika is a prime example of someone in a good position to produce such content and he delivers well.
I really don't know it's anyone's responsibility to demand what content needs to be made, the market is what decides it.
If there are not enough indigenous film makers out there, it's not exactly Hollywood's problem, they are too far distanced from Maori culture to even have any ability to do something right, however I don't think Hollywood had done exactly a bad job, particularly when it comes to native Americans.
2 such examples of films would be Dances with wolves and Cheyenne Autumn to name a few.
On the other hand as much as I hate Disney with their extreme level of wokness, actually they try to make an effort.
Moana is one example, they did actually consult Maori on its production, but they are all about the dollars and I still see them as exploiting culture for profit.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Interesting. Last I heard people in your circles were castigating Disney not for wokeness but for the hypersexualisation of children and fostering paedophilia...

I watched The Piano yesterday. It is worth revisiting, aside from the fact it is a great watch, it portrays an interesting image of Maori under colonisation. I found myself getting quite cross with various scenes in it, despite my personal fan girlie worship of Sam Neill...
(03-06-2023, 04:45 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: They are probably too scared of cultural appropriation.
People try and get slammed because it's not "right"
I'm really on the fence about it, the best people to produce films with such content are the ones who actually come from such a background to begin with.
Taika is a prime example of someone in a good position to produce such content and he delivers well.
I really don't know it's anyone's responsibility to demand what content needs to be made, the market is what decides it.
If there are not enough indigenous film makers out there, it's not exactly Hollywood's problem, they are too far distanced from Maori culture to even have any ability to do something right, however I don't think Hollywood had done exactly a bad job, particularly when it comes to native Americans.
2 such examples of films would be Dances with wolves and Cheyenne Autumn to name a few.
On the other hand as much as I hate Disney with their extreme level of wokness, actually they try to make an effort.
Moana is one example, they did actually consult Maori on its production, but they are all about the dollars and I still see them as exploiting culture for profit.

"If there are not enough indigenous film makers out there, it's not exactly Hollywood's problem,"

But it is - why has it taken so long for any native American actors, writers etc. to be able to earn an actual living writing or acting if not because the film industry has seen to it that it was extremely difficult for any of them to do so.

Moana interviewed Wes Studi recently, worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=466986648559464
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Everything that happens in the world today is usually blamed on someone else.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(03-06-2023, 08:21 PM)Kenj Wrote: Everything that happens in the world today is usually blamed on someone else.
We live in a shame, claim, blame society.
I'm reminded of the bumper sticker mentioned in the late unlamented garbage wrapper, "Truth".

"Land Rights For Gay Whales".

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.