Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-Ukrainian forces attacking Russia in Belgorod
Big problem for Putin.
Looks like there are Russians who are fighting back against Putin inside Russia itself.
There has been a few of these attacks over the last week or so.
They are Russian citizens that are based in Ukraine and crossed the border into Russia and have been co-ordinating attacks.
Kind of reminds me of what Russia did in the Donbass region, a bit of a taste of their own medicine.
I think its safe to say that Russia will loose territory after this war and will be split up.
https://theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/0...cow-claims
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
If there's a widespread lack of support for Putin then it could happen, but it may take a while as there are still plenty who support his actions.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Many appear to support him, but I wonder how many truly do.
Sure there are a bunch of the population who are brainwashed, but there is alot who are silent and in fear of speaking out.
Putin has to pay for "supporters" to attend his rallies and parades.
There were literally buses bought in to bring in these people just for numbers because there was so little interest.
There has been good amounts of their public protesting on the war too.
I think the shift will come from the military action within the ranks. Wagner group is apparently unhappy and beennspeaking out, sothings are not good.
Russian citizens are also beginning to question why the "special military operation" is dragging out for so long.
Pile sanctions on top of that and you get a clear picture on the state of things in Russia.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
The sooner Putin falls & the war ends, the better, but I suspect he's the type to continue to the bitter end.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
So many dynamics at play with this war its not funny.
The sooner the better that Putin falls, that's the only real way out for russia, but there is concern about who could replace him, there will be a power grab for sure.
And now somebody has blown the dam that supplies water to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant. Not good Sad
I didn't know it had anything to do with the nuclear plant, but it had a huge amount of water behind it. They will be without power generation from that hydro station though.
If that nuclear plant us in trouble, NATO will potentially intervene. Looks Luke russia are planning to retreat from that aera and would rather leave a path of destruction.
Thousands are being evacuated apparently.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65819591
It doesn't look good at all, it's pretty devastating what's happening, a whole zoo flooded and all the animals gone countless homes and villages washed away, no more water for irrigation and food production.
This is a serious war crime, I wonder if it will mean more involvement from NATO, we can't just sit back and watch this nonsense continue any longer.
Europe is going to suffer as a result, this is a clear example of russias scorched earth policy.
And the Russians claim it was the Ukrainians who did it; when they surely must realise how ludicrous such a claim is. And given that Russia began this war by invading Ukraine totally unprovoked, that tends to show Russia's true colours.

Someone needs to stop Putin & preferably his fellow Russians.
(08-06-2023, 11:38 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: And the Russians claim it was the Ukrainians who did it; when they surely must realise how ludicrous such a claim is. And given that Russia began this war by invading Ukraine totally unprovoked, that tends to show Russia's true colours.

Someone needs to stop Putin & preferably his fellow Russians.
Well this is what appears to be whats happening according to that Guardian article, but Im unsure its a good idea for them to be based in Ukraine and is unclear what weapons if any Ukraine is supplying them with, it may cause more retaliation from the Russian side.
They literally blame Ukraine for everything they are doing right now, even when their shitty rockets blow up on their own soil, its Ukraine.
Surely their population is not that stupid to buy into all the crap Putin spouts out of his mouth, but there is some hope when we see whats been going on in Belgorod right now.
The resistance forces appear to have taken part of the region and it looks like they are going to be holding their own "referendum" kind of reminds me a bit of what Russia did to Ukraine, quite ironic really.
Hopefully this spreads and we see more resistance forces within, my main concern is if some other general within the ranks just causes a power shift and throws him out but still end up with another soviet dictator.
All their scum needs to be wiped out and it has to start right from the top down, either way, I see that Russia could become a divided nation should that happen, but would likely create a buffer zone with a more democratic Russia towards the west I would imagine.

Some more background on the Freedom legion is found here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Russia_Legion
I would be cautiously optimistic about their intentions and goals, but its a distraction for Russia nonetheless.
And many Russians will see those people as traitors to Russia but considering Russia's actions, its understandable that they feel as they do.

And yes, the possibility of a struggle for power if Putin goes down is all too real I think & there's always the chance it could end very badly.

Why are we humans such utter idiots...
A big part of the problem is partially their culture too. Their parents generation grew up in the soviet days and a good percentage still like to hold on to it.
When media interview the public, particularly when questioned about the soviet union, a good deal of people said they preferred the old days under soviet rule. Mostly observed with older generations, those in their 30s-40s not quite so much, as they largely grew up after the collapse of the soviet union.
Then we have their younger generation who have grown up under putin and in their 20's, I would say its about a 50/50 split in that group who buy into Putins propaganda and are anti-west, and the other half can see through all the smoke and mirrors.
That being said, the anti war protests showed a good mix of age groups from those in attendance.
(09-06-2023, 10:29 AM)nzoomed Wrote: A big part of the problem is partially their culture too. Their parents generation grew up in the soviet days and a good percentage still like to hold on to it.
When media interview the public, particularly when questioned about the soviet union, a good deal of people said they preferred the old days under soviet rule. Mostly observed with older generations, those in their 30s-40s not quite so much, as they largely grew up after the collapse of the soviet union.
Then we have their younger generation who have grown up under putin and in their 20's, I would say its about a 50/50 split in that group who buy into Putins propaganda and are anti-west, and the other half can see through all the smoke and mirrors.
That being said, the anti war protests showed a good mix of age groups from those in attendance.

That older generation which lived under communism would probably have had older family members who could recall living under the Tsars so hardly surprising they'd prefer communism really.

I'd like to see Russia eventually become a genuinely democratic but at this stage it seems unlikely to ever happen.