Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACT on the brink of holding some power; what does it mean?
Extremely bad news in the form of an even harder struggle for any of those of us who aren't wealthy Neo Liberals seems the most likely answer to that one. These are not people who care about their fellow humans except for any possible profit which can be made from them.

Education seems to be top of their list.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...-that-mean

"In many ways, Seymour is the new Winston Peters, sucking up his support – and many of his populist tricks, albeit with a 21st century twist.
ACT is also gaining support in its own right. Half a decade ago, you couldn’t have paid people to go to an ACT rally.
Now Seymour is charging for the privilege – on Sunday 600 people are expected at a SkyCity stage show, paying $50 a ticket

Last weekend, he did a whistle-stop tour of the Coromandel and his public meetings pulled crowds in the hundreds.
In flagrantly ACT fashion, he travelled between events in a helicopter, with the pilot briefly handing control to his parliamentary passenger.
For these reasons, on election night (and barring the usual caveats of scandal or unknown unknowns), we could see ACT breach the 12% mark, and even get as high as 15%.

So, what does that mean?
In essence, that Luxon should, too, be preparing for a co-pilot. ACT will be asking National to “share power”.
What does it want?
It’s testament to ACT’s confidence that Seymour sees one of his caucus as education minister. This is potentially a fish hook for Luxon who also sees the portfolio as a priority.

ACT wants enormous reform – and that goes far beyond the return and expansion of charter schools (which Luxon has already committed to).
School funding would depend on digital quarterly reporting, especially of attendance (importantly, income wouldn’t be dependent on the results, but the frequency of reporting.)"
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
New policy - get rid of red tape.

Action? A new Ministry of Regulation.

Oh yeah, that'll do it. Stupid boy.
(04-06-2023, 05:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: New policy - get rid of red tape.

Bwahaha - the exact words which popped into my head too! Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(04-06-2023, 05:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: New policy - get rid of red tape.

Yes thought the same as well.  Could imagine that first meeting.

So what can we do to get rid of red tape?

Ban red ink sir!   You can't have red tape without red ink!

Brilliant Johnson!

Though a National Act Government would be far better than a Labour Green Maori Party government.
Why would that be?
There are aspects of conservativism that appeal to nearly everyone, especially as we get older - ''Don't change my world ! Unless you make it better.'' Winston and Seymour target these people...so, I'm all ears.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Because Maori Party are not happy with just some changes for Maori. They want total change where Maori sovereignty is everything at the expense of everything and everyone else. That is no longer democracy.
Is very good news for NZ.
For him to have that much support demonstrates how unhappy the NZ public are with this govt.
If we are lucky, ACT may have close to 20% of the party vote.
This country ends radical change to reverse the damage Jacinda has done over the last 2 terms.
If NZ first has a chance ce of reaching 5% I may still vote for them, or else it's ACT hands down.
National will have to make some compromise to work with ACT too which is good news.
Very high chance of seeing David Seymour as a deputy PM.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
On the contrary, it would be extremely bad news for us - unless we happen to be wealthy Neo Liberal supporters who don't mind their fellow Kiwis being disadvantaged to an even greater extent.

The radical work to remove the damage done over the previous 4 decades by both National & Labour (with help & encouragement from ACT) should begin immediately; & in fact should have long since begun.

Its always so very interesting that those happy to lay the blame solely on Jacinda Ardern prefer to ignore the last 40 odd years...
I honestly think both labour and national are as bad in each other in different ways.
It's clear NZ needs to go in a different direction.
I wish we could have the old NZ back like we used to as kids, was even better in my parents generation growing up in the 60s
It seems to me that a large part of ACT's rise in the polls is at the expense of National's voter base. So long as ACT, and for that matter NZ First, keep cannabalising that sector of the electorate I suspect that Labour/Green are looking safe.

The other factor worth noting is how the polls are conducted. If they are largely reliant on telephone polling then those polls will be weighted in favour of older voters who are predominant in National's, NZ First's (and by association ACT's) catchment as the older demographic are far more likely to still have a land line. Such polls are therefore going to be more reflective of the Nat/ACT/NZF leaning part of our population. Biases present in some pollsters also will have their effect on the results gained. You only have to witness the thinly veiled vitriol in much of our media coverage to realise the continuing generation of 'click bait' in preference to facts prevalent in those information streams, and of course social media echo chambers.

As is often said "The only poll that counts is the one on voting day", so little point in arguing the 'what ifs' based on what is likely to be erroneous data. Just wait until October 15th when the results will more accurately reflect what effect the election campaign has had on our next government.

(05-06-2023, 12:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: ......
I wish we could have the old NZ back like we used to as kids, was even better in my parents generation growing up in the 60s
Like the First Past The Post electoral system, and parties elected under that basis controlling inflation by banning price rises. Oh, the good old days eh!
(05-06-2023, 11:41 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Because Maori Party are not happy with just some changes for Maori.  They want total change where Maori sovereignty is everything at the expense of everything and everyone else.  That is no longer democracy.

Hmmmm, and you think Te Pati Maori is going to overturn our current version of democracy? Which by the way only works for the majority.
(05-06-2023, 01:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 11:41 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Because Maori Party are not happy with just some changes for Maori.  They want total change where Maori sovereignty is everything at the expense of everything and everyone else.  That is no longer democracy.

Hmmmm, and you think Te Pati Maori is going to overturn our current version of democracy? Which by the way only works for the majority.

Maori party have caused so much division.
I call it reverse racism.
It's evident with TVNZ when we can't even make out a word they are saying on the weather reports nowadays,  next thing is going to be the road signs all being made into maori.
(05-06-2023, 11:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Is very good news for NZ.
For him to have that much support demonstrates how unhappy the NZ public are with this govt.
This country ends radical change to reverse the damage Jacinda has done over the last 2 terms.
If NZ first has a chance ce of reaching 5% I may still vote for them, or else it's ACT hands down.
National will have to make some compromise to work with ACT too which is good news.

Definitely.

People seem to be missing the whole point of the idea about regulating the regulations. We have FAR too many, Everything that happens gets met with "the government must...." or "there are calls for...." and bingo, we get more laws. Which mostly impact the law abiding and have no control over the problem-makers. But we still get more and more. So ACT is recognising that and wanting to do something constructive about it and about time too. Finally, a bit of common sense.

(05-06-2023, 01:59 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 01:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hmmmm, and you think Te Pati Maori is going to overturn our current version of democracy? Which by the way only works for the majority.

Maori party have caused so much division.
It's evident with TVNZ when we can't even make out a word they are saying on the weather reports nowadays,  next thing is going to be the road signs all bring made into maori.

It's not reverse racism. It is racism. Full stop.

(05-06-2023, 11:50 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: On the contrary, it would be extremely bad news for us - unless we happen to be wealthy Neo Liberal supporters who don't mind their fellow Kiwis being disadvantaged to an even greater extent.

The radical work to remove the damage done over the previous 4 decades by both National & Labour (with help & encouragement from ACT) should begin immediately; & in fact should have long since begun.

Its always so very interesting that those happy to lay the blame solely on Jacinda Ardern prefer to ignore the last 40 odd years...

I don't see ACT policies disadvantaging anyone who genuinely needs help, but they might give people back some pride and get the stagnant parts of the economy working better.
Everything is about profit for ACT; Neo Liberalism is driven by greed & it's caused massive damage to those countries foolish enough to embrace it.

Their usual tactic is to encourage people to believe that those who are struggling are the authors of their own misfortune; they have no 'personal responsibility' or they're just 'lazy & spend all day doing drugs' etc. etc.
I think perhaps some would welcome a return to the orphanages & workhouses of the 19th century when the poor were punished & castigated to an even greater extent.
(05-06-2023, 01:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

Funny - democracy is meant to work for the majority.  However Maori Party wants to see that Maori have control over everything from water, courts, prisons, health - and in most cases many of their representatives are not elected but appointed. 

So yes in many cases they wish to overturn the current version of democracy.
(05-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 01:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hmmmm, and you think Te Pati Maori is going to overturn our current version of democracy? Which by the way only works for the majority.

Funny - democracy is meant to work for the majority.  However Maori Party wants to see that Maori have control over everything from water, courts, prisons, health - and in most cases many of their representatives are not elected but appointed. 

So yes in many cases they wish to overturn the current version of democracy.

Mmmmn, the are also against colonialism but are happy to accept the colonials Knighthood/Dame/ONZ et al.  Confused
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Well, that's true of lots of folk. Eh Jacinda...

Democracy though isn't a good form of government when it can be hijacked by power brokers and used to ignore the needs of the various minority groups it does not serve.

AI may do it better. No doubt we'll see...
ACT votes may not necessarily increase National Seat bloc

To me they are just another version of ineffective government. If you think they will improve anyone’s lives aside from their own and their sponsors you are not thinking clearly
(05-06-2023, 02:04 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 11:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Is very good news for NZ.

Definitely.

People seem to be missing the whole point of the idea about regulating the regulations. We have FAR too many, Everything that happens gets met with "the government must...." or "there are calls for...." and bingo, we get more laws. Which mostly impact the law abiding and have no control over the problem-makers. But we still get more and more. So ACT is recognising that and wanting to do something constructive about it and about time too. Finally, a bit of common sense.

(05-06-2023, 01:59 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Maori party have caused so much division.
It's evident with TVNZ when we can't even make out a word they are saying on the weather reports nowadays,  next thing is going to be the road signs all bring made into maori.

It's not reverse racism. It is racism. Full stop.

(05-06-2023, 11:50 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: On the contrary, it would be extremely bad news for us - unless we happen to be wealthy Neo Liberal supporters who don't mind their fellow Kiwis being disadvantaged to an even greater extent.

I don't see ACT policies disadvantaging anyone who genuinely needs help, but they might give people back some pride and get the stagnant parts of the economy working better.

Yup, well said.