Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$100 million for Glenbrook steel mill
Star 
To convert it to electricity.
How is this going to save the planet exactly?
Guess where all that power will need to come from? Just watch Huntly burning more coal to meet demands.
NZ needs more power than ever as EVs continue their uptake.
What's more, that money could pay for many solar panels on people's homes, many kiwis struggle to pay their power bills and yet a big corporation gets a free handout.
They also will get huge subsidies much like Tiwai does.
It's a huge slap in the face that the rest of us pay a premium price for power while the largest users pay next to nothing for their electricity.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Also sounds like the iron sand production is going to be phased out, coal is not just used for the furnace, it's mixed with the sand as part of the process. They are talking about waste steel - so Pacific Steel (now Sims I think) being transferred out to Glenbrook ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Sand harvesting is even more profitable than water apparently, don't know how we are going to cut back on that.

How is it going to help CT? By cutting our emissions which will help satisfy the reductions schedule we have signed up to, towards efforts to stabilise the human effects of climate change. And while it is perfectly safe for some of us oldies to reject the obvious, all it does is pass the burden on to our grandchildren and theirs. Not something intelligent beings do lightly.
(05-06-2023, 09:47 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Also sounds like the iron sand production is going to be phased out, coal is not just used for the furnace, it's mixed with the sand as part of the process.  They are talking about waste steel - so Pacific Steel (now Sims I think) being transferred out to Glenbrook ?

Oh really?
Recycled steel will be poorer quality too, typically there I'd slot of impurities in it and various alloys are all mixed in the scrap.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
This technology has been in use in Scandanavia for a few years now and the steel produced is as good as old methods made, and is working out cheaper as I understand it.

It's called progress...
(06-06-2023, 10:17 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: This technology has been in use in Scandanavia for a few years now and the steel produced is as good as old methods made, and is working out cheaper as I understand it.

It's called progress...

As far as I understand, recycled steel is better suited to a carbon arc furnace, so this would explain things.
It can be processed to extract any undesired additives if necessary.
It would be cheaper in the sense that the steel making process is already done, but reprocessing depending on the required alloy may affect the price.
I guess if the scrap iron is graded well beforehand,  this would make a difference.