Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Learning Tablet
Aged mum wants another go at learning her tablet.
We have (both) tried before, we got her an Android one. This time I though brothers Ipad might be better, the screen is bigger for one thing and her eyesight is rubbish now.

So, any suggestions who/where?

I tried Seniornet here and my god, what a mission. Woman one, once I finally tracked down a number says Oh they don't have a website any more and she's retired.
Email x@clear.net.nz
Er...yeah.

They do have a website, in fact 2. One is terrible and was last updated in 2009, it goes on about Vista etc and courses in MS Office.
So Neighbourly, that led me to another number, left a message and got a call, give my email.

Then got an email, they say fill out application, pay money, and what tablet is it?
I say she has android but we're going with ipad, then I get more or less an argument on how it has a different O/s (No kidding) and I should use the android etc etc.
I point out the issue is sight and get told make text bigger.
It seems there is an Android tutor, Ipad is in the too hard basket.

Then I get a txt saying they couldn't forward me the application forms cause my email address bounced.
Yet I was emailed the first time? And in any case they were making a typo in that address.
So I've gone off them.

I have booked her into the library in 2 weeks, this is a half hr group session.

But any other ideas where she can get basic How To Use a Tablet, using the fingers, what icons are and how to say get onto news sites, shops. Not specific program, no social media, no email.

Napier area.
And no I don't want to DIY, I have done. Out of patience now.
Try bribing one of your local public library librarians with tempting treats - they are the most helpful tech people I have ever come across. And a lot less scary than many tech people...
Not sure but could the Blind Institute or any of their affiliates (if there are any) be of help?
What about a video tutorial? E.g.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAmu2olc9k
I like youtube. The teachers on there don't mind interruptions and repeating themselves...
(14-06-2023, 08:23 AM)Agent_24 Wrote: What about a video tutorial? E.g.

And then she'd need to learn to operate youtube to view it.
She knows nothing at all.  She needs the basics first, how to touch, how to scroll, how to operate the tthing first.
The library is probably your best bet as most librarians these days are trained to tutor people who are not competent with technology. There are also instruction manuals in book form for iPads, and the "Dummies" series, which is good. Just make sure she starts slowly or she might get frustrated and give up.
(14-06-2023, 03:48 PM)piroska Wrote:
(14-06-2023, 08:23 AM)Agent_24 Wrote: What about a video tutorial? E.g.

And then she'd need to learn to operate youtube to view it.
She knows nothing at all.  She needs the basics first, how to touch, how to scroll, how to operate the tthing first.

If she has a smart tv, youtube is on that. If she can access Netflix, with a bit of help she can access youtube videos.

I hear you saying you are over it. Maybe you need to hire a local teenager to give her some in home training. Maybe talk to the nearest school counsellor and see if they can suggest someone who might like that kind of after school job...
(14-06-2023, 04:22 PM)Olive Wrote: The library is probably your best bet as most librarians these days are trained to tutor people who are not competent with technology.  There are also instruction manuals in book form for iPads, and the "Dummies" series, which is good.  Just make sure she starts slowly or she might get frustrated and give up.

Yes I got a book. She hasn't progressed past page 1.
And yes we have 2 sessions at library booked.

Hardest person ever....and I have taught quite a few, inc elderly ones. We're now abandoning the in general and sticking with her browsing the church site, that is proving bad enough so far and it's laid out quite easy, icons down bottom as well as top menus...so she can touch HOME and it gets her back to main church site. Sigh....
It's not a website as such, it's it's own app. Online sure, but without going via the net...that failed too.

She manages to bring up other screens, popups, from somewhere on the Ipad and managed to lose the church app altogether.

Hopefully library goes well, 1st one this Saturday.
Another thought:   Apple security is unforgiving, so make sure that she understands the importance of knowing her Apple ID and password and entering them accurately.  I know through annoying experience that if you get it wrong twice you get locked out, and it is a hell of a rigmarole to get back in.
I tried to teach my Dad PC stuff once, luckily he usually does ok by himself because he really doesn't listen to me all that much. Seems no matter how old we get we still have no authority in the eyes of our parents. As soon as he thinks he understands he stops paying attention to me and does what he thinks instead. I gave up, he manages ok without me on his fuzzy monitor set the the wrong resolution for the last few years.
One of the hardest things about learning as an adult, and even more so as an older adult is that it is hard work. Our brains need to create new pathways to send the messages that follow the acquisition of new information and we have less plasticity than when we were youngsters. It is like learning a new physical skill, it has to be repeated and practiced so as to become part of routine use. If the ego is also involved and the learner has negative feelings about the process, then it is like pushing that boulder uphill for all parties involved. No fun at all.

I know this because I graduated at 64. One of the most challenging things I have ever done.
Trying to teach my beloved anything is hopeless. I sort out her computer, suggest that remembering what I say would be wonderful, then having her ask 2 days later..."what do I do here?" Been like this for years, Laptop, TV, HDD Recorder, Phone........ gawd knows what she would do if I carked it?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Mmmmm, and how would you manage in similar circumstances? I think good marriages are all about balancing needs, strengths, and all that lovely stuff...
It's my fault really, it is said if a person doesn't learn, it is the teachers fault. (Henry Ford I think)
Then there's the even older one about leading horses...
Bit of both, I really don't think she wants to learn as it is easier to call me saying "help!!!!!" She blames the laptop a lot Smile
I'm in the same club as you Ken. Funny how women get!!
And I am another member of the club. The biggest worry is that should I cark it first, as almost all of our financial activities are now conducted on line, it will present a great problem for my wife.
(17-06-2023, 09:32 AM)Bryan Wrote: I'm in the same club as you Ken. Funny how women get!!

Not wanting to write myself off but I am coming up 81, not in the best of health and she is nearly 6 years younger than me (child bride Smile )

Son, who would also be a big help, lives 15K away, pops in for a cuppa a couple of times a week when working in the area. 

So, If I have carked it and her laptop is "being difficult" on a Friday she would have a problem.

I often wonder if I should buy her (Heaven forbid - a ipad  Sad ) and let her learn to use that, not me teach her as I have an aversion with anything beginning with i, (except ice cream) After all, I have an older sister who uses an ipad and she is as thick as a dozen 150mm planks laid side by side.

Hmmmn?  Angel Angel (thats me  Angel )