Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Freedom movement" possibly bites dust
The Democracy NZ party having a bit of trouble.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...ate-exodus

"The fledgling political party led by former National MP Matt King has lost one-third of its announced candidates over a dispute with party leadership.
Stuff understands at least five candidates - Lee Smith, Steve Cranston, Dr Matt Shelton, Kirsten Murfitt, and Bill Dyett - are no longer with DemocracyNZ.
Their candidate profiles have been scrubbed from the party’s website.
It suggests political peril for the party King formed late last year, after he resigned from National over its support for vaccine mandates.
Its polling has oscillated between 1-2%, well short of the 5% threshold, meaning its fortunes likely rest on King’s candidacy in the Northland electorate which he won for National in 2017.

It is understood that the exodus came after Cranston – who is also a prominent member of Groundswell NZ – was fired by the board on Saturday after expressing discontent with the actions of senior party figures. That resulted in the other candidates quitting in protest.

DemocracyNZ has advertised its political platform as “freedom, family and farming”. Much of its rhetoric concerns opposition to the pandemic response and climate change regulations.
It had been seen as the leading light for the so-called freedom movement, which is split between various parties, including the Brian Tamaki and Sue Grey-led Freedoms NZ and the recently announced Leighton Baker party."

They were unlikely to pick up many votes & this may mean even fewer for them if they look so shaky at this stage.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Hoist on their own petard maybe?
Herding cats?
(19-06-2023, 03:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hoist on their own petard maybe?

With any sort of luck.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

(19-06-2023, 04:11 PM)harm_less Wrote: Herding cats?

Easily as difficult I should think.. Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's a shame they won't be there to dilute the right wing vote,  but I think they were so minor that the effect would have been unnoticeable.
Good party, and Matt is a good guy but some of their candidates standing were a little bit on the conspiratorial path, makes me wonder if thats why they were removed. One of them was sharing stuff about the hawkes bay floods that wasnt true regarding the death count.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Really? Posting untrue stuff? Oh my...
Publishing untruths © ? My word, that's a perilous path. Didn't the Nats only ever issue permits for that to themselves and Act?

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(20-06-2023, 05:42 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Really? Posting untrue stuff? Oh my...

Oh, that such wickedness could be... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

(20-06-2023, 07:29 AM)R2x1 Wrote: Publishing untruths © ? My word, that's a perilous path. Didn't the Nats only ever issue permits for that to themselves and Act?

Wink

Big Grin Big Grin