Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woke Health system forces doctors to prioritize Maori and Pacifika
Thumbs Down 
Over Pakeha people, this is not only racism, but medical Apartheid.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckland-s...RR6VTGQWE/
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Misinformation, as you well know. Ethnicity is just one of the criteria, low down on the list, well behind clinical status, but included in order to try to rebalance the current inequity in Maori and Pacifika admittance numbers.

Your post is therefore overtly racist, and I hope that fact doesn't escape your readers.
Why is ethnicity on the list at all?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Because the criteria are based on need, and ethnicity is a factor in assessing need because of the built in racism in our social systems - designed as they are by eurocentric history, power brokers, and principles.
(19-06-2023, 10:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Over Pakeha people, this is not only racism, but medical Apartheid.

This article from the same source might explain it to you better CT

Quote:The report - which was accepted by the Government - supported Te Whatu Ora’s approach that “once high clinical priority cases have been addressed, priority must be given to excessively long-waiting patients, with emphasis on the longest waiting Māori and Pacific patients.”
The taskforce found data that showed a disproportionate number of Māori and Pacific patients “waiting excessively long” for imaging scans (used to check for serious conditions including cancer) in some regions.
Another example: Māori and Pacific children suffered the most because current capacity in the paediatric oral health service can’t match demand, including for dentistry requiring sedation or general anaesthetic.

“There are numerous examples of inequities in many planned care services,” the taskforce concluded. “Initiatives must be put in place to resolve this.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/surgery-wa...LCVZRRQ5M/
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(19-06-2023, 10:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Over Pakeha people, this is not only racism, but medical Apartheid.

PrioritiSe! NOT z, due to this NOT being America.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to grab the wrong idea & spread bollocks everywhere; the racists are going to absolutely love this. if its "woke" to move to a fairer system then apparently the Royal Australasian college of surgeons is now 'woke.'
Rolleyes Big Grin

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/surgeon-or...VQRKIRYLY/

"The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons has spoken out about the new surgery wait-list rank system, explaining this isn’t about putting Māori and Pacific health above the health of other people, rather it’s about reducing existing health institutional bias.
“We know there are biases, including unconscious ones, in the current system which mean Māori and Pasifika have more difficulty accessing healthcare and don’t get offered the same level of treatment as the wider population,” MacCormick said.
“This means more ill-health and disability among these populations and ultimately a lower life expectancy.
“A major goal of the current health reforms is to reduce health inequities. We can’t do that if we don’t make positive changes that shift the dial away from institutional biases.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
David Seymour & ACT members - ever so predictably - stirring the pot. They obviously don't give a damm about the health of their fellow Kiwis if they can use it to stir up racism.

They really are despicable.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/g...ref=topbox

"Green Party co-leader Marama Davidson has been ejected from the House after claiming Act Party MPs were elevating racism through their line of questioning.
The incident was sparked by Act leader David Seymour attempting to ask a question in te reo Māori which fell flat with Speaker of the House Adrian Rurawhe, who said Seymour was not actually asking a proper question.
Act’s questions, which built on an initial question from National leader Christopher Luxon, used MPs’ personal circumstances to ask Prime Minister Chris Hipkins about how ethnicity will be used as a factor to judge priority with respect to surgical waitlists.

Hipkins responded to the various questions by saying people who were Māori, Pasifika, rural or low-income had historically been let down by the health system and efforts to remove the discrimination were warranted.

Following a question from Act’s Dr James McDowall, Davidson stood to address the Speaker and asked about a previous ruling about MPs considering the consequences of their questions.
She then claimed, “the nature of these questions are absolutely intended to raise racist opinions amongst the New Zealand public”.

Rurawhe immediately interjected, saying Davidson’s claim was a “very serious accusation” and acknowledged he was considering kicking her out of the House.
On requesting her to stand, withdraw her accusation and apologise, Davidson replied, “I stand, withdraw and apologise” and then immediately raised another issue.
That was enough for Rurawhe to make up his mind and eject Davidson from the House.

Speaking to journalists afterwards, Davidson accepted Rurawhe was in charge but did not change her position.

“We will always stand against people whipping up fear and division when we instead should be making health access better for everyone,” she said.
“[The Act Party] actually don’t care about equity, they are weaponising fear and division of people for votes.
“That to me seems quite horrific actually.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And there we have it.

I am not a fan of Marama Davidson, but in this her comments are right on the money. We need to call out dog whistle politicking, AND overt racism when we see it. Or else we are complicit in it.
(20-06-2023, 05:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And there we have it.

I am not a fan of Marama Davidson, but in this her comments are right on the money. We need to call out dog whistle politicking, AND overt racism when we see it. Or else we are complicit in it.

I was going to post a while ago that I don't think she is the sharpest knife in the drawer but didn't as some may have accused me of racism.  Cool

As I have said in a previous post, I had a lot of respect for Jeanette Fitzsimons and Rod Donald, to the extent of voting for them on one occasion. But not this bloody shower that call themselves Green nowadays!
(20-06-2023, 06:20 PM)Kenj Wrote:

I was going to post a while ago that I don't think she is the sharpest knife in the drawer but didn't as some may have accused me of racism.  Cool

As I have said in a previous post, I had a lot of respect for Jeanette Fitzsimons and Rod Donald, to the extent of voting for them on one occasion. But not this bloody shower that call themselves Green nowadays!

Tell us what you think greens should be.
I do have other cameras!
(20-06-2023, 06:48 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(20-06-2023, 06:20 PM)Kenj Wrote: I was going to post a while ago that I don't think she is the sharpest knife in the drawer but didn't as some may have accused me of racism.  Cool

Tell us what you think greens should be.

Green  Envy

Although no doubt David Seymour would  point out his Maori ancestry if taken to task on this; I think he & ACT are cynically using this (knowing full well it will stir up the racists) in order to
sow distrust & create division before the election. 
They're clearly none too concerned about the health of their fellow Kiwis. Dodgy
(20-06-2023, 06:59 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(20-06-2023, 06:48 PM)Praktica Wrote: Tell us what you think greens should be.

Green  Envy

Like Kermit? What is green?
I do have other cameras!
(20-06-2023, 07:31 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(20-06-2023, 06:59 PM)Kenj Wrote: Green  Envy

Like Kermit? What is green?

Around the gills!
(20-06-2023, 05:40 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Misinformation, as you well know. Ethnicity is just one of the criteria, low down on the list, well behind clinical status, but included in order to try to rebalance the current inequity in Maori and Pacifika admittance numbers.

Your post is therefore overtly racist, and I hope that fact doesn't escape your readers.

Its racist to even consider race in this criteria, full stop.
I would be pissed off if i had been on the waiting list for years for an operation only to see someone jump the queue before me and get the operation because they are a different race.

Was listening to newstalk ZB all day yesterday and lots of angry doctors calling in, also had someone on the radio say you just tell them you are "maori" and they will believe you. Its your word against theirs. This is the whole problem, I can identify as maori even if you are a fraction of a percent.
Time to treat all people the same, we all have a common ancestor.
(20-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Kenj Wrote: Why is ethnicity on the list at all?
Exactly, very good question, it shouldnt.
(20-06-2023, 01:14 PM)king1 Wrote:

This article from the same source might explain it to you better CT

Quote:The report - which was accepted by the Government - supported Te Whatu Ora’s approach that “once high clinical priority cases have been addressed, priority must be given to excessively long-waiting patients, with emphasis on the longest waiting Māori and Pacific patients.”
The taskforce found data that showed a disproportionate number of Māori and Pacific patients “waiting excessively long” for imaging scans (used to check for serious conditions including cancer) in some regions.
Another example: Māori and Pacific children suffered the most because current capacity in the paediatric oral health service can’t match demand, including for dentistry requiring sedation or general anaesthetic.

“There are numerous examples of inequities in many planned care services,” the taskforce concluded. “Initiatives must be put in place to resolve this.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/surgery-wa...LCVZRRQ5M/

That doesnt explain how Maori have to wait longer. They are just stating it as an apparent fact that if you are Maori you wait longer. Someone explain to me how race has a factor?
There are a number of reasons, but it comes down to access being limited in various ways for various reasons. They base the fact on Maori health outcomes. Those are all too measurable.
(20-06-2023, 08:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There are a number of reasons, but it comes down to access being limited in various ways for various reasons. They base the fact on Maori health outcomes. Those are all too measurable.

Well they were saying the logical thing on the radio is to prioritize one's health condition.
Seems a no brainier doesnt it?
Not all Maori are limited in their access to health services, and if so, then why are there not enough GP's in the aeras  with a high population of Maori to begin with?
Race shouldnt matter in these instances because if someone of this demographic needs urgent care, they should be seen to ASAP anyway, no matter what their race.
(20-06-2023, 09:03 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(20-06-2023, 08:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There are a number of reasons, but it comes down to access being limited in various ways for various reasons. They base the fact on Maori health outcomes. Those are all too measurable.

Well they were saying the logical thing on the radio is to prioritize one's health condition.
Not all Maori are limited in their access to health services, and if so, then why are there not enough GP's in the aeras  with a high population of Maori to begin with?
Race shouldnt matter in these instances because if someone of this demographic needs urgent care, they should be seen to ASAP anyway, no matter what their race.
... in a perfect world
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Should...

Ahhh yes. In the above mentioned perfect world.
(20-06-2023, 09:03 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

How very very simple it is when you ignore reality.

An example being the $5 fee for prescriptions (which National will reinstate if they become govt) which is often a step too far for those in low incomes. While it doesn't apply solely to Maori, they are most affected by it.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/09-02-...65-billion

"The latest NZ Health Survey for 2021-22 found that 3.3% of people reported not getting their medicines because of the $5 fee, with Māori and Pasifika adults being 3.3 times and 1.1 times respectively more likely not to collect a prescription due to the cost.
The researchers recommended in their paper that Aotearoa follow the precedent of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which abolished prescription charges in 2011, 2007 and 2010 respectively.
The researchers recommended in their paper that Aotearoa follow the precedent of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which abolished prescription charges in 2011, 2007 and 2010 respectively.

As the researchers write in their conclusion to the paper, “eliminating a small co-payment appears to have had a substantial effect on patients’ risk of being hospitalised. Given the small amount of revenue gathered from the charges, and the comparative large costs of hospitalisations, the results suggest that these charges are likely to increase the overall cost of healthcare, as well as exacerbate ethnic inequalities.”