Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woods gone as minister- more failure to disclose conflict of interest
Thumbs Up 
And this is one of the Labour Ministers apparently GOOD at his job!  

Woods certainly is the MP that keeps on giving.
what was the "more failure to disclose conflict of interest"? you left out the story behind the punchline...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Woods is still a Minister, are you getting confused?
(21-06-2023, 04:04 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Woods is still a Minister, are you getting confused?

Sure about that?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...pp-android

(21-06-2023, 02:00 PM)king1 Wrote: what was the "more failure to disclose conflict of interest"?  you left out the story behind the punchline...

I just figured those in here with such close ties to Labour and the left would be all over news that one of their best MPs was a total fuckup.
Obviously not one of the good ones. Stupid man. And, incredibly entitled to think he could behave like this for so long.

As in, from the OED - entitled
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
"kids who feel so entitled and think the world will revolve around them"

Gods, no wonder people lose respect for politicians.
Funny how there is always dirt dug up every time a coconut before election time!
(21-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Obviously not one of the good ones. Stupid man. And, incredibly entitled to think he could behave like this for so long.

As in, from the OED - entitled
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
"kids who feel so entitled and think the world will revolve around them"

Gods, no wonder people lose respect for politicians.

Come on, be fair, anything that small is very easy to lose. 

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
I just don't get it. Do these wankers not understand it is a privilege to have that job?
(21-06-2023, 07:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I just don't get it. Do these wankers not understand it is a privilege to have that job?

I've been a big admirer of Michael Wood and I'm badly unsettled by this disaster.   The only explanation I can think of is that he is one of those people who has a hole in his head either when it comes to money, or possibly when it comes to investments.   I had a dear friend in the former category who, despite being a brilliant policy manager frittered away his excellent salary on frivolities.   Others on the left find the idea of passive income from shares so distasteful that they can delude themselves that their shares don't exist.   Either way, we don't want in a decision-making position a person who can't cope dispassionately with money.   It's all a terrible shame and a great loss to our government.
It is not only the loss of an otherwise good MP, it is the damage it does to a government made up of other good MPs at a time when it can least afford this kind of borer damage to its structural integrity. Meng Foon would be another example.

Still, I guess it does highlight the MPs who are solid through and through, and we have a fair few of those across all parties.
Unbelievably stupid - surely he should have mentioned this far sooner & fixed the situation. This is just going to add to the long list of reasons why most people have a huge problem trusting politicians. Little wonder they have such dire reputations.

Maybe we need to change the rules - no person holding shares may be a politician might be a good start.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Someone was saying on the AM show this morning, in an Australian state (didn't catch which) everyone running for senate or whatever must divest themselves of all shares and rental properties before they can run...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-06-2023, 10:10 AM)king1 Wrote: Someone was saying on the AM show this morning, in an Australian state (didn't catch which) everyone running for senate or whatever must divest themselves of all shares and rental properties before they can run...

THAT sounds like a bloody good idea - & extremely sensible! 

For once, we could steal an idea from that lot over the ditch - they're always nicking our stuff anyway. Rolleyes Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Woods is still a Minister; it is Wood that has gone Wainuiguy.
The news report I saw last night said that Australian law was that MPs couldn't hold any shares at all. I thought that that sounded like possibly a good idea, but with our slack trust laws it wouldn't have any impact here - they could just hide everything in undeclared trusts. It didn't mention rentals. If politicians were forced to just put their funds into bank term deposits there would still be room for conflict of interest whenever monetary policy was on the table, and everyone would be equally affected which could cause even bigger problems.

The big thing that we are seeing with all these issues coming out now is that these people are not understanding what conflict of interest is and when/how to deal with it. We all have conflicts of interest in our lives but people in certain positions need to understand when to declare it and the rules need to cover how to deal with it in specific circumstances. The main answer is education - of everyone voted in to any position of governance.

[Edited to remove duplicate post]
(22-06-2023, 10:44 AM)alpha111 Wrote: Woods is still a Minister; it is Wood that has gone Wainuiguy.

Wood, Woods they are all fucking hopeless.
(22-06-2023, 12:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 10:44 AM)alpha111 Wrote: Woods is still a Minister; it is Wood that has gone Wainuiguy.

Wood, Woods they are all fucking hopeless.
At least Labour is weeding them out. Kuriger, Uffindell, Bishop, Collins and Woodhouse all have exhibited egregious behaviours but still remain in National's ranks.
(22-06-2023, 01:05 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 12:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Wood, Woods they are all fucking hopeless.
At least Labour is weeding them out. Kuriger, Uffindell, Bishop, Collins and Woodhouse all have exhibited egregious behaviours but still remain in National's ranks.

Really?  Wood and Nash are still in Labour are they not?  Meka left the sinking ship of her own accord.  So not "weeding them out" as you claim.
If anyone 'would' like to hear a political speech President Sylvia 'Wood' will address the National Party Conference at 9.10 am tomorrow.
(24-06-2023, 11:49 AM)alpha111 Wrote: If anyone 'would' like to hear a political speech President Sylvia 'Wood' will address the National Party Conference at 9.10 am tomorrow.

Nah; I find that I tend to be allergic to political speeches these days. Rolleyes Big Grin

Unless of course, someone cares to pay me large amounts of dosh to do so - with certain conditions, such as being able to wear earplugs & read a book while the speech is being given.
Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin