Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing submarine visiting the Titanic wreck
Pretty tragic news, didnt know that people could pay $400K to go and visit the wreck of the titanic.
I hope there is a miracle that they have survived, but I fear that something much more serious has happened such as the submarine imploding under pressure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-sub...t-we-know/
They'll be out of oxygen by Thursday morning apparently. Hope they're found & rescued in time.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live...atest-news
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
A visit to RMS Titanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29co_Hksk6o

Definitely watch this
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Turns out the first explorer to visit the wreck was also on board.
An expensive way to die horribly. Sometimes being poor is a saving grace.
(22-06-2023, 09:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: An expensive way to die horribly. Sometimes being poor is a saving grace.

Yep, not a lot of fun for them, or  their families & friends.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I cannot help adding up all the dollars still being spent on this - the rescue attempts are piling more of those into the sea as we watch, whatever the outcome. And I bet there are teams of lawyers at their spreadsheets right now calculating the potentials of the lawsuits... Even without the human costs, surely this has to be a clear example of human hubris taken to gross extremes.
(22-06-2023, 09:59 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I cannot help adding up all the dollars still being spent on this - the rescue attempts are piling more of those into the sea as we watch, whatever the outcome. And I bet there are teams of lawyers at their spreadsheets right now calculating the potentials of the lawsuits... Even without the human costs, surely this has to be a clear example of human hubris taken to gross extremes.

Humans are idiots; the evidence is overwhelming. 

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy. Rolleyes

It would perhaps look even worse, if someone worked out some of the good things which might have been done with that amount of money & how many might have benefited.

More along the lines of that African footballer who doesn't need ten Ferraris, Sadio Mane.
And yet the mere whisper of a wealth tax brings some out in a rash...
(22-06-2023, 10:11 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And yet the mere whisper of a wealth tax brings some out in a rash...

Apoplexy... Big Grin Big Grin
There is something very wrong about the way resources are being poured into this when you compare the value of those few lives, to the hundreds of thousands who drown in their search for a better, safer life.
(22-06-2023, 11:08 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is something very wrong about the way resources are being poured into this when you compare the value of those few lives, to the hundreds of thousands who drown in their search for a better, safer life.

And who are doing exactly what we ourselves would be doing, if we were in their shoes - taking the risk in hopes of a better life. 

Who wouldn't grab their kids & run if there was war in their country; humans have done it for centuries.
People who want to go to the Titanic wreck:

Take Me To Titanic

https://vimeo.com/810451492

Are these people for real?
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Looks like it imploded as I expected, tragic ending but the crew knew of the dangers.
I'm sure there will be an investigation into what happened.
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/06/23/all-f...implosion/
And lots of lawsuits.

The thing I kept telling myself when my imagination ran wild and the horror of it got a bit much was - no one forced them to go. Except maybe that young man.
Surely simply accepting what's happened, tragic as it is, would be far better than any lengthy & painful lawsuit.
this may just end up be another lesson in the folly of hubris (wondering where we might find another example of that?)
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(23-06-2023, 12:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Surely simply accepting what's happened, tragic as it is, would be far better than any lengthy & painful lawsuit.

People who can pay megabucks for such an experience are not usually the simply accepting types...

Neither are their legal teams.

(23-06-2023, 12:26 PM)king1 Wrote: this may just end up be another lesson in the folly of hubris  (wondering where we might find another example of that?)

There was a post on one of the twitter feeds, "Anyone want a ticket to Mars? Anyone?"

At least Cameron had more sense than to take paying passengers.
(23-06-2023, 12:37 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(23-06-2023, 12:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Surely simply accepting what's happened, tragic as it is, would be far better than any lengthy & painful lawsuit.

People who can pay megabucks for such an experience are not usually the simply accepting types...

Neither are their legal teams.

Its possible that those continually flashing $ signs in their eyes may cause that.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
The original hubris in this case was the Titanic traveling at full speed through iceberg fields because the ship was "unsinkable" the second instance was the Titan, ironically named, owned by a billionaire who attracted other billionaires to the same folly because birds of a feather flock together lol.

One look at that cobbled together hodgepodge of a machine should have warned them off going down to 6000psi underwater inside it.

"Former Titan submersible passenger who took 4 dives in it, including to the Titanic, said communication with the surface ship was lost 'every single time'"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/former-t...58052.html