Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hipkins disagrees with Biden that Xi Jinping is a Dictator
Thumbs Down 
Sounds like the sort of thing only a dictator would agree with.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/j...tor-remark
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
here's another take on it CT - maybe a prime minister trying not to offend our largest trading partner
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(25-06-2023, 02:48 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Sounds like the sort of thing only a dictator would agree with.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/j...tor-remark

Oh no! Reason rather than blind unreasoned bullshit...
I do have other cameras!
He's between a rock and a hard place: suck up to the violent, thin-skinned bully so that they don't beat you up now, but you know that just means you have to keep sucking up to them more and more and you have to keep pretending you haven't noticed any of the abhorrent things they're doing...or stop sucking up to them and they beat you up...

So despite that fact that Xi is most definitely a monstrous dictator (and I don't think that is hyperbole), I can accept Hipkins' mealy-mouthed response as I can't say that poking a stick at Xi would have been a good idea.

What I do think though is that we should be trying to "wean" ourselves off China though so that we can start being more frank. If we instead put a lot of effort into increasing China's share of our export market, we're just further ensuring that we can never speak up.
Inarguable the Xi is a dictator and China a Totalitarian state.

But we all this well before our Captains of Industry decided there was good coin to be made
(25-06-2023, 04:17 PM)king1 Wrote: here's another take on it CT - maybe a prime minister trying not to offend our largest trading partner

Indeed; its generally known as diplomacy & extremely common especially in politics.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"snigger"
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Interesting isn't it, how ready we are to point fingers at other states while carefully blinkering ourselves from the weaknesses in our own

Dawn raids anyone?
(27-06-2023, 07:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Interesting isn't it, how ready we are to point fingers at other states while carefully blinkering ourselves from the weaknesses in our own

Dawn raids anyone?

Or the one time branch of the KKK somewhere in the NI, according to media...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Our Immigration dept seems intent on unkindness.