Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exclusive Brethren not welcome
Can't say I blame them, either.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3009156...ial-street

"The four submissions raised a long list of issues, including the noise, the loss of an established residential property in a time of housing shortage, the fact the application was for a non-residential purpose for people who live outside the neighbourhood, and that the hall will be for people “who refuse to associate with the neighbours and do not welcome them at their premises does not reflect the existing tight-knit community of Reynolds Road”
They also said they had no confidence that there would only be two meetings per week, and said the group that purchased the property had previously misrepresented their intentions – neighbours were told it was purchased to help family members get on the property ladder.
The planner found that any adverse effects of the proposal could be appropriately avoided, remedied or mitigated and that it was consistent with District Plan, and recommended that consent be granted, subject to a list of conditions."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Many years ago we had neighbours who were Exclusive Brethren, two sisters in their 60s. They were quite peculiar in their behaviour, only ever went out together and twice while driving their Morris 1100 tried to run over my husband.
(29-06-2023, 04:18 PM)Olive Wrote: Many years ago we had neighbours who were Exclusive Brethren, two sisters in their 60s.  They were quite peculiar in their behaviour, only ever went out together and twice while driving their Morris 1100 tried to run over my husband.

They'd surely have been in deep trouble, had they succeeded; whatever were they thinking!

How bizarre - we lived in the country & an older couple had a small farm nearby. I was only told they were 'some weird religion' but they'd often sweep past in their car, (looking to neither right nor left as they passed) & didn't associate with any of the rest of us who lived locally so I wondered in later years if they were EB's.

They're the lot who won't vote - against their daft belief system for some reason - but who nonetheless, tried to influence the outcome of an election a few years back by making large donations to National. I think it was around the time when John Key was PM  but could be wrong.

There really is nowt so queer as folk!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
A friend of mine was raised in an Exc Brethren family. They disowned and excluded her at 15. She is the most excellent witch I know, and a fantastic tattoo artist. Just goes to show, we humans can overcome the worst of circumstances.
We have One School Global next to us at work, which is Plymouth Brethren. Kinda weird, but normal people work there. LOTS of money.

When we were kids, there were Plymouth Brethren in Kaiwaka where we lived at the time. My Aunty had chooks, and some of them were Plymouth Rock, the ones with the feathery legs. We must've heard the grown ups talking about them one day, and when the word Plymouth came up, one of the kids shouted Feathery Legs ! So from then on all the family referred to the Brethren as Feathery Legs, and later just as The Featherys. We used to see them sometimes at the beach at Mangawai Heads....all dressed in black, and the men would roll up their pants and wade in the sea.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Then there was that neighbourhood revolt against the social housing project proposed by a developer for KO.

Lot of Nimbyism coming up these days?
(29-06-2023, 04:48 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-06-2023, 04:18 PM)Olive Wrote: Many years ago we had neighbours who were Exclusive Brethren, two sisters in their 60s.  They were quite peculiar in their behaviour, only ever went out together and twice while driving their Morris 1100 tried to run over my husband.

They'd surely have been in deep trouble, had they succeeded; whatever were they thinking!

How bizarre - we lived in the country & an older couple had a small farm nearby. I was only told they were 'some weird religion' but they'd often sweep past in their car, (looking to neither right nor left as they passed) & didn't associate with any of the rest of us who lived locally so I wondered in later years if they were EB's.

They're the lot who won't vote - against their daft belief system for some reason - but who nonetheless, tried to influence the outcome of an election a few years back by making large donations to National. I think it was around the time when John Key was PM  but could be wrong.

There really is nowt so queer as folk!
It was back in 2005 - Brash was the opposition leader.
I do have other cameras!
I remember back in the day, I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in the HB. Their house was right next door to an EB Church. They often said the only noise coming from it was the singing and the screams of pain as people were being beaten after confessing their sins. They didn't stay in that house long.
(08-07-2023, 09:12 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: I remember back in the day, I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in the HB. Their house was right next door to an EB Church. They often said the only noise coming from it was the singing and the screams of pain as people were being beaten after confessing their sins. They didn't stay in that house long.

It seems that we  humans can get ourselves to believe anything, however daft. Rolleyes