Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer v. phone data
I'm with Spark. Computer Basic wireless data is $45 for 40gb or for another $10 is 120gb. The 40gb is nearly but not quite enough for us and I'm going to move up to the 120gb plan soon and happy that it's good value.

On the other hand, my prepay phone is $40 for 4.5gb and then I still have to use a separate plan for phone and text (neither of which get used much). I see that monthly contract plans are better and it's probably time to go that way as I need about 10gb per month.

I was just wondering why the phone is so much dearer than the computer for what is essentially the same service - wireless data via a modem. Are they justified in charging more for phones or is it just because people are willing to pay? And yes, I've looked at other companies and while some are a bit cheaper from time to time, the basic structure is still the same.
I am ditching Spark for Broadband - for a number of reasons - but retaining them for mobile. I rarely use my mobile, once a month call or text if I'm lucky, and never for data. I used to go prepaid, and may do so again, but without a landline I thought I better get grown up and go cell...
Spark's $15 rollover is too much for me. The rollover is mounting monthly and I suspect it will get silly by twelve months, but what is the alternative? There isn't one...
(01-07-2023, 11:35 AM)SueDonim Wrote: I'm with Spark. Computer Basic wireless data is $45 for 40gb or for another $10 is 120gb. The 40gb is nearly but not quite enough for us and I'm going to move up to the 120gb plan soon and happy that it's good value.

On the other hand, my prepay phone is $40 for 4.5gb and then I still have to use a separate plan for phone and text (neither of which get used much). I see that monthly contract plans are better and it's probably time to go that way as I need about 10gb per month.
KG 
I was just wondering why the phone is so much dearer than the computer for what is essentially the same service - wireless data via a modem. Are they justified in charging more for phones or is it just because people are willing to pay? And yes, I've looked at other companies and while some are a bit cheaper from time to time, the basic structure is still the same.

My first thought is why are you using so much mobile data, emails and web browsing won't use nearly that,  video is the main data use culprit.  

Do you have your phone/tablet etc set to use the wifi at home when at home, rather than the expensive mobile plan?   Unless you watch a few videos while away from the house I can't see how you would use that much data TBH.

And as for why, probably much the same as LPG, cheaper when filling the car but costs more for filling the 9KG bottle, same LPG.  Different market, different cost...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(01-07-2023, 12:04 PM)king1 Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 11:35 AM)SueDonim Wrote: I'm with Spark. Computer Basic wireless data is $45 for 40gb or for another $10 is 120gb. The 40gb is nearly but not quite enough for us and I'm going to move up to the 120gb plan soon and happy that it's good value.

KG 

My first thought is why are you using so much mobile data, emails and web browsing won't use nearly that,  video is the main data use culprit.  

Do you have your phone/tablet etc set to use the wifi at home when at home, rather than the expensive mobile plan?   Unless you watch a few videos while away from the house I can't see how you would use that much data TBH.

And as for why, probably much the same as LPG, cheaper when filling the car but costs more for filling the 9KG bottle, same LPG.  Different market, different cost...
Very much my take on the issue too.

We have very poor cell coverage at home so our smartphones are switched to be able to use our home wifi when here particularly so we have reliable messaging ability via WhatsApp as normal texting is often severely delayed.

When out and about in locations with no wifi coverage available I will switch the mobile wifi function off which forces the phone to use cell coverage so that I can browse Twitter and the like.

My phone is with Skinny on a 1.5GB / 200 minute rollover plan and that usage just keeps rolling over as I never use them though admittedly I use my phone almost exclusively as a communication device and not for widespread internet use (due to security concerns).
(01-07-2023, 12:04 PM)king1 Wrote: My first thought is why are you using so much mobile data, emails and web browsing won't use nearly that,  video is the main data use culprit.  

Same thought -- Wife had that happen a few times, her phone didn't auto switch over to our wireless when she got home from work. It was set to switch to a wireless network at both work and home, then one day got a message saying mobile data almost full after about 7 days.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thank you everyone. To answer the points you have made:

We don't have home wifi. When I tried to set up the modem and printer that should work wirelessly it didn't work and they are plugged in manually. I think it's likely that the computer is too old. Future plan is to upgrade and get someone in to set it up but not yet.

The phone isn't connected to anything - ie I don't use it to log into anything so it's safety is because it is separate from any services that require logins that could be intercepted. When out and about I pretty much only check traffic and possibly phone/text DH to tell him if I'm running late or anything.

At home 99% of the use is checking news and sometimes doing a google search - eg if I'm watching TV and see something I want to know more about and DH is on the computer, I'll use my phone. Not much of that though. Mostly just news, and few videos except those that open on autoplay (more below). Which I why I'm thinking the data is getting ridiculous.

I don't do social media - just a couple of forums and never on the phone.

The 1.25gb data option used to be fine. The growth in usage has been steady and insidious. The sites I use are a local news site that has one photo per article on the list of articles and sometimes one or two more in the article itself. Herald has a text only list of headlines and some photos when I click to read one. Newshub also has a text only list of articles but when I click to read one the "photo" is usually a video and auto loads. I make it stop playing as soon as it will - always takes too long and I'm wondering if this is the main culprit - automatically loading every video whether I watch it or not. I've tried turning off the autoplay and can't. The closest I get is that apparently if I log into YouTube I could turn it off there, but I don't have a YouTube login, and don't plan to.

All of the sites have silly advertising and click bait "30 wonderful photos of xxx". I occasionally scroll through one of them because the photos can be entertaining, but back out as soon as I get the "next" button that tells me this will go on forever loading new pages. Of course any that I do watch are loaded with ads so I don't actually do it very often. If I was doing it every day I would expect it to be the problem, but it's only once or twice a month and I don't think they can be that data hungry.

I've tried watching the data over a month or so and haven't seen anything jump out as being hungrier than anything else.

Phone is Android - Samsung A13. When I upgraded to it from my old Samsung S5 I didn't see any sudden jump in usage, just the relentless increase over time.
The increasing heaviness of sites makes me sus too, my ancient tablet eventually just started rebelling and I'm pretty sure it has just plain worn out because of the increased load. It is a great pity web designers don't come up with a 'lite' version for those of us who operate with the 'lite' weight devices and servicing plans, but I guess profit rules.

In the end though, I think that weightiness is a suicide pill, Trademe is the perfect example with its slowly dying local support under the load of international profiteers. Maybe once our addiction to the information drug is overcome things will change. Maybe not...
(01-07-2023, 03:05 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The increasing heaviness of sites makes me sus too, my ancient tablet eventually just started rebelling and I'm pretty sure it has just plain worn out because of the increased load. It is a great pity web designers don't come up with a 'lite' version for those of us who operate with the 'lite' weight devices and servicing plans, but I guess profit rules.

In the end though, I think that weightiness is a suicide pill, Trademe is the perfect example with its slowly dying local support under the load of international profiteers. Maybe once our addiction to the information drug is overcome things will change. Maybe not...

I think the continuing upgrades to new versions of everything is a form of environmental wastage. It's one thing to move forward with technology and keep up with safety initiatives. It's a different matter to force everyone into the latest and greatest features that are not necessary and just cost more resources to provide all the time. For news articles I'm happy with text in most cases, and maybe a photo or two to illustrate something. I don't need or want all the endless videos of everything under the  sun. I "get" that free services need to be paid for with advertising, but when the ads are intrusive and have to be closed to continue, they just annoy me and are not conducive to getting me to buy from the company concerned. If I even notice what they're advertising in my clicking of the button when trying to just make them go away.

I don't know about TM's dying local support - I buy more via TM than ever and only look at sites supplying from within NZ - but I still hate the "new" version of their website. Some old screens are still available and I'll go in via roundabout ways just to see the old version when I can - eg when looking up feedback scores. The new one is hopeless, the old one shows quickly and clearly if there are any recent negatives to check out. They are a good example of a company changing a practical and aesthetically pleasing good site into a bad one.
@SueDonim, Might be worth checking what apps you have running in the background that you're unaware of. If for example a GPS location is being constantly demanded by an app/s it will require data use, as will constant content updating, and that's without the possibility of malware being present.

I'm no expert in this but it seems to me that a few autorunning videos aren't going to account for 10GB/month.
Theres a HUGE Hint;

"We don't have home wifi. When I tried to set up the modem and printer that should work wirelessly it didn't work and they are plugged in manually. I think it's likely that the computer is too old. Future plan is to upgrade and get someone in to set it up but not yet.

The phone isn't connected to anything - ie I don't use it to log into anything so it's safety is because it is separate from any services that require logins that could be intercepted. When out and about I pretty much only check traffic and possibly phone/text DH to tell him if I'm running late or anything."

If you don't have wifi connecting, then the only other option is your 4g Which is data usage. That will include ANYTHING that shows on your ph.
The only way to stop that is to turn off the 4g, the the phone wont work at all. Eg cant ring in or out, or text etc.
So your best bet here is to probably figure out the WIFI on the modem, and the save yourself the need for upgrading the phone plan...

Sticker with wifi code is on the bottom of modem usually,
it is always CasE sensitive,
Sometimes, there is a wifi switch on the modem that folks inadvertently turn off and hence no WIFI

If you let us know the model of the modem we can look it up and maybe throw a few pointer your way...

if you have an Android phone/tablet you can use Blokada to block most adverts.

I use V5 - I believe v6 is a subscription now.

https://blokada.org/

Thank you both. I'll have another fiddle with the wifi on the modem and see if I can sort it. Maybe I gave up on that too easily. And will look into blokada.
Update. I didn't get to look at this yesterday, then got busy in the garden this morning. Sat down just now to "figure it out" and within 2 minutes saw that yes, on the phone I can switch the wifi on and use the password on the sticker on the side of the modem. Doh!

I should have asked so much sooner instead of just getting grumpy but still putting up with the costs. It shows how easy it is to get caught by not knowing what you don't know, even when it is that basic.

Thank you so much for your help.
My Spark modem pasword is a mass of teeny letters and numbers, annoying for old eyes. So when the new Orbi modem arrived last week I was delighted to see it has real words instead. Someone with half a brain had thinking cap on.

Mind you, I shouldn't speak too soon. I have to swap over tomorrow...
(03-07-2023, 02:29 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My Spark modem pasword is a mass of teeny letters and numbers, annoying for old eyes. So when the new Orbi modem arrived last week I was delighted to see it has real words instead. Someone with half a brain had thinking cap on.

Mind you, I shouldn't speak too soon. I have to swap over tomorrow...

Hope you dont have the New Sky Boxes ?? If you do , heres a hint, connect the Orbi Via a ethernet cable. (or even Via Powerline adapters)

Lets just say the Wireless and Sky most ( but not all) of the time, dont like to play nice.

So far had 5 Orbi's, from different people all the same problem, EVERYTHING else will connect to the Orbi wireless except the Sky Box - It sees it but then just sits there looking stupid when you put in the Password, and finally comes up with can not connect. Throw in some powerline adapters as the Orbi is not close enough unless you run cables around the walls/floor & away they go.
No Sky, and no LL either now. I'm hoping it proves simple enough, and that simply using the existing lines from the ont will do the trick, seeing my devices are all too old to download the Orbi app, lol. And seeing this entire flat is less than 30 sq m I'm hoping it covers...
(03-07-2023, 03:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No Sky, and no LL either now. I'm hoping it proves simple enough, and that simply using the existing lines from the ont will do the trick, seeing my devices are all too old to download the Orbi app, lol. And seeing this entire flat is less than 30 sq m I'm hoping it covers...

Setting up is "almost" idiot proof  --  plug in power and turn on - Plug the ONT ethernet cable into the WAN / Internet port on the Orbi ( theres 1 Blue WAN/internet port and 3 yellow Ethernet) -- Go make a cuppa ( takes a few minutes to setup by its self)  and its done. ( thats how I setup 1)

You don't actually need the  App, if you have a wireless device just scan for the orbi Name and manually enter the Password as its written on the Router. logging into the Orbi ( via a Computer) was "fun" on one of them, but do-able. The other 4 customers - I left settings as is.

One thing That they are good at is if you have a  few of them, connecting in a Mesh setup, once the main one is plugged in and working the others auto switch to mesh mode and connect. Like any other router they dont like walls and lower the signal down.
Very helpful, thank you.

Just as well the only walls in here are around the bathroom, lol!
One more question please. Given that my phone has never connected to anything important enough to need a password, does connecting it to the modem in this way compromise security on the computer that is also connected to the modem? ie does the phone connection open the door to anything other than the phone? Thanks.