Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost PC sound to Tv
My Media PC (Asus Sabertooth Z77) no longer plays sound on my Sony Bravia TV. It has recognized the TV address for quite sometime but suddenly, although I can get the picture, I can’t get sound. I have checked the sound settings on the PC but the TV doesn’t show up. I have tried all methods to get it but can’t get sound. Now, I have tried another PC to the TV and that has no problems with sound so the TV settings are correct. The HDMI cable has not been changed so that seems OK.

I have connected the suspect PC to my PC monitor and again cannot find the monitor in the Settings although a sound cable from the PC to the monitor and separate speakers will give me sound. I removed the suspect PC's GTX560 GPU and connected to the HDMI port from the m/b – same result i.e. no sound.

The Bravia TV has no Sound jack to input sound, it relies on either USB or HDMI inputs. I am of a mind that the suspect m/b has developed some fault that does not allow sound to be transmitted to the TV. Other than a sound problem the M/b works well and I do not want to dump it. Does anyone have any ideas I can follow?
" I have tried all methods to get it but can’t get sound"
What methods have you tried ?

My first thought is uninstall all graphics and audio drivers and then reinstall. Hdmi audi comes with the graphics drivers normally...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
My attempts were through MS settings. I assume that I use Device Manager to remove the graphics and audio drivers and then reinstate the latest?
(16-07-2023, 12:39 PM)Bryan Wrote: My attempts were through MS settings. I assume that I use Device Manager to remove the graphics and audio drivers and then reinstate the latest?

you can try that way but also have a look in the  apps list / programs & features in windows settings, if it's there it is probably a more complete way of uninstalling.  I would also head to the manufacturer website and download the latest drivers first though...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Have you made sure the HDMI is the Sound output in the Sound settings ??  On My Setups, you can have either external Speakers or the monitors.

If the HDMI is playing up, try using the 3.5mm audio on the computer to connect another set of speakers.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
I believe I have found the problem. Sometime a little while ago I swapped the GTX560 for a EGVA GTX960 to gauge the difference between the two.  As the PC in question was to be a Media only PC and I do not game, I thought the GTX960 would be a better bet. I believe I updated the Nvidia drivers at that time. After swapping the GTK560 back is possibly when the problem started.

I have now deleted all Nvidia sound drivers and loaded down Nvidia's latest offering. When I rebooted the MS prompt tells me that the sound device has been changed to my TV. All now appears to be well. Thanks for the help and suggestions and being there when I need help, I've learnt a lot from this debacle.